The Revenant by Michael Punke

The Revenant (2002)

by Michael Punke

English (33)  Italian (1)  All (34)
Spoiler in review.

Easy, fast read. I want more big words.

Also, this book gives the reader revenge blue balls. Watch the movie instead. ( )
  LongTrang117 | Oct 6, 2017 |
It was ok. I can watch the film now :) ( )
  teedee_m | Aug 25, 2017 |
In a word: perseverance.

"The Revenant" is a quality read for any fan of historical fiction, but it's even better in context. What I mean by that is, in my experience, it's best read during a marathon project. For example, I read it in the final stages of a stressful, two-year venture for which I was solely responsible. But my struggles paled in comparison to those of Hugh Glass. I mean, it's hard to complain when the man across from you is storming back from a grizzly attack. He'd fucking kill to have your problems, and indeed he might.

Give a copy to your struggling pal at work. He or she will rally. ( )
  ByShaunBailey | Jul 10, 2017 |
Enjoyable historical fiction work. Compelling story and good writing. As much as I wanted to rank this book higher, I simply couldn't because of the big let down in the end. The denouement is decidedly disappointing. It's as though the author simply got tired of writing, decided to stop and chose what he thought to be the quickest resolution to a complex situation. Hugh Glass' actions in the end just do not comport with his vengeful quest throughout the entire book. All that Glass went through and then suddenly, in the midst of pursuit, he's almost there and then...ah, nevermind. Just doesn't make sense. A disappointing conclusion to an otherwise riveting book.

Holter Graham is absolutely magnificent. His accents, foreign languages, inflections and character building are spot on. It was worth the time on this book just to listen to Holter. He saved this book from an otherwise dismal review. ( )
  LJayLeBlanc | Mar 9, 2017 |
I have never said this before in my life, but go see the movie and skip this book.
Michael Punke is a self-identified history nerd who wanted to turn one of the incredible stories he'd stumbled upon in his hobby into a gripping historical novel, but would seem to have bitten off more than he was prepared to handle. This novel lacks any sort of character development, and many of the characters never become more than flat shapes with uncompelling dialogue. Punke never really explores the mindset of his hero - a man abandoned to die, surviving against all odds, and finding himself risking his own death just for revenge. The man who abandoned him is given even less development, the description of his rocky past exploits standing in for any justification or explanation of his actions or choices. Action falls flat as well, failing to make the reader feel any of the stakes involved through all of the danger the characters experience.
Punke embellishes a bare bones history with his own inventions, but it is difficult not to compare them to the same embellishments made by the film based on this novel. Where Punke invents white male traders as fodder for the arrows of natives, Alejandor Inarritu includes a wide variety of characters, including trappers, soldiers, and natives from various tribes and of varying dispositions towards the main cast of characters. Mostly this novel is left me wondering "What could have been?", a question for which the Oscar-winning film unfortunately had a better answer for. ( )
  samlives2 | Feb 15, 2017 |

Michael Punkeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Graham, HolterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto
wrath; for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will
repay, saith the Lord.
                                                       —Rom. 12:19
For my parents, Marilyn and Butch Punke
They were abandoning him.

Mauled by a bear
Glass beats all odds to strike back
Vengeance is mine

Already sold to Warner Bros. for a major motion picture, this riveting novel of the frontier evokes such classics as Jack London's "To Build a Fire" and A. B. Guthrie's The Big Sky. Michael Punke's The Revenant tells a story of nearly unimaginable human endurance over 3,000 miles of uncharted American wilderness, spanning what is today the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, and Nebraska. Based on the real life of fur trapper Hugh Glass, The Revenant recounts the toll of envy and betrayal, and the power of obsession and vengeance. Punke's novel opens in 1823, when thirty-six-year-old Hugh Glass joins the Rocky Mountain Fur Co. on a venture into perilous, unexplored territory. After being savagely mauled by a grizzly bear, his nearly lifeless body is left in the care of two volunteers from the company—John Fitzgerald, a ruthless mercenary, and young Jim Bridger, the future "King of the Mountain Men." When Indians approach their camp, Fitzgerald and Bridger abandon Glass. Worse yet, they rob the wounded man of his weapons and tools—the very things that might have given him a chance on his own. Deserted, defenseless, and furious, Glass vows his survival. And his revenge.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

In this story of survival, Hugh Glass is an expert trapper and frontiersman. After being viciously mauled by a massive grizzly bear and abandoned and left for dead by his fellow trappers, Hugh is pushed to survive by one thing --revenge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,401,098 books! | Top bar: Always visible