The Long Wait for Tomorrow by Joaquin…

The Long Wait for Tomorrow

by Joaquin Dorfman

As I perused the YA shelves at my local library recently, I wondered if perhaps I'd lost my taste for young adult fiction. I haven't read any in a long time, and whenever I look at the new YA fiction at the library, I feel less than inspired to check anything out. But this book, and its author, looked intriguing. So I gave it a shot, and was pleasantly surprised. It's sort of a quirky story, which I think is what I needed. I've perhaps ingested too much straightforward pure teen angst for one lifetime. But this book reminded me that every once in a while it's still worth it for me to wander over to the YA section and see what there is to see. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
Reviewed by Mrs. Foley

Very interesting take on "time travel." Kept me intrigued and was a quick read. :)

Review from Booklist:
After a brutal opening in which a group of high-school football players torment a nerd, Dorfman changes tone so rapidly it’s initially disorienting. We are introduced to two of the tormentors: Kelly, the popular quarterback headed to future glories at Ohio State, and his more introspective pal, Patrick. Both Patrick and Jenna, Kelly’s girlfriend, realize that Kelly is a jerk, but he’s also a force of nature neither of them are up to deflecting. The next morning, however, Kelly wakes up a new man. He buys Patrick expensive gifts. He kisses Jenna like he means it. He’s what they dub the New Kelly McDermott—a pleasant change until Kelly mentions that he is a 40-year-old version of himself who has time-traveled in from a mental institution. Dorfman’s leisurely unveiling of information sometimes seems counterproductive, but his infectious, last-day-of-school vibe effectively clears the way for a conclusion every bit as unexpectedly ferocious as the opening chapter. Looking for humor? Poignancy? Mind-bending time theories? You’ve come to the right book. ( )
  hickmanmc | Sep 9, 2011 |
I received this a while ago from random buzzers for the ARC Friday. I read it when I got it but never wrote a review here. But anyway, I really enjoyed this book. It was different then any book I had read before. It was confusing in some parts, but before the book ended, everything was cleared up. Overall, I really enjoyed the book. ( )
  sb631 | Aug 11, 2011 |
How do you write a boring book about time travel? Dorfman has done just that. The story is excruciatingly slow. The author was trying to hard to make the book thought-provoking. But it ended up as an annoyingly subtle yawn. I ended up not caring about the characters at all. I only cared about discovering what event Kelly has been sent back to prevent. And even that isn't really paid off.

If you are looking for a fast paced book about time travel. This is not it. ( )
  snazz | Apr 9, 2011 |
Kelly held the kid's arms fast from behind the flagpole, didn't have to tell the rest what to do.

Freaky Friday for the 21st century . .

Joaquin Dorfman is back with another smart novel that pushes the envelope of literary fiction, examining identity, high school roles, and even the high-blown concept of destiny through a cool science-fiction lens. What if, in a Freaky Friday moment, a wise and humble 40-year-old man woke one morning to find himself transported back in time, into his body more than 20 years before, when he was the popular, entitled, and arrogant quarterback of the school football team? Could the man do anything to stop a tragedy initiated by the cruel actions of the boy, or is fate too strong a force? It’s the small-town football worship of Friday Night Lights with a dark and unsettling Donnie Darko twist.

Praise for Playing It Cool:
* “A sophisticated mystery/romance/coming-of-age story full of red herrings and elaborate schemes.”—School Library Journal, Starred

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:30 -0400)

High school senior Patrick's life is a mess, but when his best friend, star quarterback Kelly McDermott, suddenly begins behaving very strangely, Patrick must do as he always has and put Kelly's needs first.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,655,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible