Legacy by Tom Sniegoski

Legacy (2009)

by Tom Sniegoski

I can't quite put my finger in the audience for this book. It's subject matter (19-year old school drop out and sometime drunk has his deadbeat dad show up to pass on a legacy of super powers and crime fighting, moments before baddies show up and slaughter his mom and neighbours,) is pretty YA. But the plot and the reading level are more tweenish. The story is violent but shallow, it reminded me more of a Saturday morning cartoon than a feature film.
I think I'd give this to older kids looking for hi/lo books - possibly to a comics fan wary of full-length novels. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Jun 14, 2010 |
Excellent action-adventure story that will appeal to superhero fans, as well as graphic novel readers. When Lucas meets his father, billionaire Clayton Hartwell, he is reluctant to have any kind of relationship with him. When a catastrophic event changes Lucas' mind, he agrees to train to replace his father, who is dying, as Raptor, superhero of Seraph City. The training puts a new spin on how Lucas feels about his dad and he starts to question his dad's methods and motives. When some others validate his feelings, Lucas must spring into action.

Some talk of drinking too much at the beginning of the story, but after that there are no references to alcohol, drugs or sex. There is some vivid description of violence as the story progresses. ( )
  kthielen | Apr 28, 2010 |
I found this book to have a simple, overdone plot and characters as two-dimensional as paper dolls. In spite of this, however, I was interested enough to finish the book. ( )
  zenobia158 | Apr 5, 2010 |
Imagine finding out that the man that you thought was a dead-beat dad – a man who has never been a part of your life and whose identity you don’t even know – is a billionaire. And – wait for it- the legendary superhero The Raptor. When Lucas is pulled from his small-town life to become The Raptor’s protégé, he has no idea what he’s getting into – especially when he starts to suspect that The Raptor is not the man – or hero – he used to be. This fast-paced, action-packed novel is perfect for fans of classic superhero comics and older readers who enjoyed Sniegoski’s Owlboy series. ( )
  EKAnderson | Jan 20, 2010 |
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Seraph City is crumbling. Masked criminals are running rampant, wreaking havoc on innocent people. Superheroes are few and far between, especially since the Raptor hung up his cape.

18-year-old Lucas Moore is far removed from this life. Lucas, a high school drop-out, is content working as an auto mechanic at Big Lou's Gas Up and Go, but there is much more in store for this young man.

A wealthy billionaire, Clayton Hartwell, reveals himself to Lucas as his biological father. Lucas is stunned that after eighteen years his father would finally attempt to track him down, let alone him being THE Clayton Hartwell. Hartwell also reveals a secret - a secret that leads to a legacy - a legacy that Lucas will be forced to accept, whether he likes it or not.

I have always been a fan of comic book lore, so I was glad that I got my hands on LEGACY. It is your basic good versus evil story, with a few twists and turns thrown in for good measure. The superheroes are trying to overthrow the bad guys, but eventually, that line becomes blurred.

Where does good stop and evil start? Why would someone cross that line? All of these questions are answered, and so much more. The ending left me wanting more, so I hope that many sequels will follow! ( )
  GeniusJen | Jan 1, 2010 |
Twenty Years Ago

You could always see it in their eyes.

The look that said, "Why would anybody put a costume on and fight crime?"

What if your deadbeat dad was a superhero?

What if you found out your deadbeat father is a superhero? Would you leave your small-town life to take up the mantle of a father you never knew? For 18-year-old Lucas, the choice is an easy one: he’s not going to leave behind his mother and his comfortable life for a father who’s never shown any interest in him. But his father—known officially as billionaire Clayton Hartwell, and secretly as the vigilante superhero The Raptor—tells Lucas that as he is dying, evil is growing, and the world needs Lucas to become the new Raptor. When Lucas’s mother is killed by mysterious warriors, he realizes that his father is right. Once in Seraph City, Lucas is stunned by the amount of poverty and crime. But after observing his father’s “heroic” behavior up close, Lucas is left wondering about the line between good and evil. And eventually, he must decide whether to take a stand against the one man who loves him in order to defend a world that desperately needs him.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:01 -0400)

Eighteen-year-old Lucas is reluctant to take on his father's superhero mantle, but changes his mind as he comes face-to-face with evil after his mother is killed.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,670,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible