Ground Zero: A Repairman Jack Novel by F.…

Ground Zero: A Repairman Jack Novel (original 2009; edition 2009)

by F. Paul Wilson

231950,068 (3.97)8
Member:iBeth
Title:Ground Zero: A Repairman Jack Novel
Authors:F. Paul Wilson
Info:Tor Books (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:mystery, horror

Ground Zero by F. Paul Wilson (2009)

GROUND ZERO breaks away from the pattern of the normal Repairman Jack novel. Wilson has already been working on tying up the series and bringing it to an end. Something that has been noticeable in the last few books due to their subplots that are both accelerating and not resolving completely. This time though Wilson takes it one step further and just builds on the mythos. The usual pattern for the Repairman Jack books is to have a primary plot that is related to the Adversary Cycle but at the same time it is a separate plot that can be resolved. This time though the primary plot starts with the introduction of a character to help fight the Otherness and the plot doesn't move off from the One and the plans made by the Otherness the entire time.

Weezy is Jack's friend from his childhood days. While I haven't ready the Secret Histories or the Young Jack stories yet, I would imagine that Weezy is a recurring character in those novels. Weezy is a conspiracy theorist of the extreme type; combined with her ability to remember everything she's read and seen, she sees connections that show the Order's plans. It is these connections that put Weezy's life is at risk when she links the Order to the 9-11 attacks. Fortunately Jack came back into her life shortly before things hit the fan for her and saves her life. Since she knows so many of the pieces but not the bigger picture, Jack lets her in on the secret history and even gives to her the Compendium. Jack hopes her ability to remember everything will make sense of the Compendium. The story continues with the development and culmination of one of the side plans of The One, something that has a huge impact on Jack and his team of helpers.

Unfortunately I would have to say that if you are not current with your Repairman Jack reading, this is not the book to start. We're pretty much at the tail end of the series. GROUND ZERO is exactly the book that long-time readers will love because it moves so many things forward and is creating a bigger impact. New readers will be lost. Trust me, go back to THE TOMB and read all of the books in order. I would also recommend reading them back-to-back. Just binge read them all. You'll catch many of the nuances that I've missed over the years. ( )
  dagon12 | Apr 29, 2016 |
What if the 9/11 attacks were not purely an act of terror against the US but rather part of an elaborate operation to gain access to an unspeakable evil buried beneath the foundation of the World Trade Center? This concept is the driving force behind the 13th book of F. Paul Wilson’s Repairman Jack series in which Jack must unravel these subterranean secrets to save those he loves most.

I was not sure if I was ready for this particular very real factual event to be blended with a work of fiction, but I was able to get through it and it was not as uncomfortable as I thought it might be. For those of you who have made it this far in the series, rest assured many of your questions will FINALLY be answered. ( )
  JechtShot | Feb 22, 2014 |
Dang it, I'm just not feeling the series like I used to. I've never delved much into 9/11 conspiracy. I wish Hank Thompson and the Kickers would go away. Maybe I'm just feeling tired and cranky. ( )
  gypsycab79 | Jun 25, 2013 |
I expected to be pissed off about the whole Truther thing, but it's fine. The Arabs still flew planes into the buildings, but there was more to it (none of it involving Bush, Cheney or Jews). Finally we get a lot of explanations for long-standing mysteries in the series, and more to come. The ending is a cliff-hanger, so have the next book handy! ( )
  MashaK99 | Jun 11, 2013 |
Wilson is bringing together all the elements for the big finale of the series, two books hence. In this volume, he brings in two more players, an ally and an enemy, presumably from the young adult Repairman Jack novel, which I've not read. The weakness of this novel is that it reads like a chapter, rather than a story that stands on its own. ( )
  EricKibler | Apr 6, 2013 |
The apocalyptic plot and frenetic action fail to add up to a chilling read.
added by Shortride | editPublishers Weekly

Surreal, he thought as he watched the twin towers burn.

In the author's alternative history, a shadowy figure floating in a boat in New York harbor causes the collapse of the Twin Towers independently of the suicidal al-Qaeda hijackers by detonating explosives in both buildings. Several years later, Eddie Connell seeks out Repairman Jack, heir to the role of point man in the war against the Otherness. Eddie needs Jack's help in finding his forensic scientist sister, Weezy, whom they trace to a New York City hospital ward. Because Weezy had uncovered suspicious stock trading in advance of the World Trade Center attack as well as the editing out of a man from photos of bin Laden and his top deputies, her life is in peril.

Jack finds the secret behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks, in the new dark thriller in the bestselling Repairman Jack series.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,747,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible