Heaven's Keep by William Kent Krueger
194None59,986 (3.87)19

William Kent Kreuger's mystery series featuring Cork O'Connor seemed, in my mind, to start out relatively slowly. I felt that it wasn't until his fourth or fifth book that he really hit his stride. I'm very thankful that I had bought up his complete series before beginning to read them (based on an enthusiastic review I read of a later book).. otherwise I might have given up on the series early on and missed some really great stories. And in hindsight even the early books have a great deal to offer.

The novels are set in rural, northern Minnesota for the most part with the action shifting to The U.P. of Michigan in one story and to Wyoming in another. Mr. Kreuger gives Cork O'Connor a family life that is anything but 'storybook'. From one end to the other this is a loving, but modern family, with real life modern problems that they do manage to get resolved. Fairly early in the series, the stories begin increasingly encompassing Cork's and his family's Native American connection to good advantage!

This is a very good and satisfying series which I gobbled up faster and faster towards the end. Now I have to sit and eagerly await the next Cork O'Connor adventure. This is a series where the books could be read as stand alones, but for maximum enjoyment I would strongly recommend reading them in the order that they were written. ( )
  jastbrown | Feb 27, 2012 |
When a charter plane carrying Cork O'Connor's wife, Jo, goes missing in a snowstorm over the Wyoming Rockies, Cork must accept the terrible truth that his wife is gone forever. But is she? Months after the tragedy, two women show up on Cork's doorstep with evidence that the pilot of Jo's plane was not the man he claimed to be. It may not be definitive proof, but it's a ray of light in the darkness surrounding Cork's loss. Agreeing to investigate, he travels to Wyoming, where he battles the interference of local law enforcement who may be on the take, the open hostility of the Northern Arapaho, who have much to lose if the truth is known, and the continuing attempts on his life by assassins who shadow his every move. ( )
  jepeters333 | Jan 7, 2012 |
This is another excellent mystery by William Kent Krueger. In this
Cork O'Conner story, Cork is looking for his wife who has disappeared with others of the Indian nation who were flying to a meeting. The story is well written and deals with many of the challenges that face the American Indians. I highly recommend this book to mystery lovers who like to be drawn in from beginning to end. ( )
  CandyH | Dec 20, 2011 |
Completed 7/24, rated 4.5 Number 9 in the 10 book series with #11 due out in weeks. Wife Jo is in a plane crash in Wyoming/Montana during a blizzard while traveling with client Indians to a meeting. First half of book is excellent re efforts of Air Patrol and S&R teams trying to find the victims. 2nd half is mystery....why wasn't the pilot who he seemed to be?? The Mexican hospice ending is too out there for me, not at all credible. In the last pages the story is closed.... ( )
  maneekuhi | Jul 28, 2011 |
Krueger’s Cork O’Connor series has always been a favorite of mine. Cold Minnesota weather, Native American culture, a protagonist with a great sense of right and wrong…what’s not to like? In the opening of HEAVEN’S KEEP we learn that Cork’s wife, Jo, is reported missing in a plane accident. After several weeks of searching, she is presumed dead and after several months all hope is lost, until the pilot’s widow shows Cork a video proving that her husband was not drunk when he piloted the plane. On further inspection, Cork suspects the pilot on film was not the woman’s husband. Thus starts Cork’s search for the truth, who was piloting the plane, who was on the plane that someone might want dead, and is Jo still alive somewhere. The opening did drag a bit as Cork and his son searched for days in Montana for the downed plane. I have never been a parent so I felt Stephen was an unnecessary aggravation. If it were me I would have given him a Play Station game and left him at home. Second, I have never been much of a fan of Jo. She cheated on Cork so to me it’s “good riddance.” Third, after the last book where a teen gunned down fellow students in a high school, Cork vowed to never pick up a gun again. This change in Cork’s M.O. had me wanting to pay for Cork to attend a one week “Jack” class (one week with Jack Bauer or Jack Reacher) so he could realize there are some people you just can’t reason with. I did find Parmer to be very likeable. He is a rich developer who was looking to buy Cork’s land but Cork wouldn’t sell so Parmer built around him. Parmer is older, wiser, handles himself pretty well, and knows what to do with a gun. I hope he is a continuing character. ( )
  SandyLee | Jun 17, 2010 |

When a charter plane carrying Cork O'Connor's wife, Joe, goes missing in a snowstorm over the Wyoming Rockies, Cork must accept the terrible truth that his wife is gone forever. But is she?--From publisher's description.

59 wanted3 pay6 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,489,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible