Rough Country by John Sandford

Rough Country (edition 2012)

by John Sandford, Eric Conger (Reader)

Member:tmccarriar
Title:Rough Country
Authors:John Sandford
Other authors:Eric Conger (Reader)
Info:Penguin Audio (2012), Edition: Abridged, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned

Rough Country by John Sandford

Dark Of The Moon by John Sandford (bookymouse)
    bookymouse: Same Series - Virgil Flowers

Caught with a long-wait situation and no book at hand, I did something I hate doing. I started a series in the middle. This is the third Virgil Flowers book. I was glad to discover that Flowers is a different character than Lucas Davenport, Sandford’s more famous series protagonist. But the book was pure Sanford. The clues are openly and honestly presented, even if they are more of the foreshadowing variety than the fairplay kind. But if executed correctly, the journey is often as interesting as the destination. In this case, both were worth the time. ( )
  JohnWCuluris | Jul 4, 2016 |
A woman named McDill is murdered while kayaking at a lodge in the woods of Minnesota. Flowers is called into investigate because the victim had some political clout. He quickly discovers this lodge isn't like most others. It caters to mostly women, and women who prefer the company of women. Flowers is first flustered by the number of female suspects. But he soon narrows in on a few characters, including Wendy Ashback, a wannabe country singer, and Zoe, the accountant who hopes to buy the lodge someday. There are many more suspects and there is a lot of money, jealousy, and secrets to be unvieled.

My complaints would be in the handling of the points of view. Sandford writes mostly from Flowers' point of view, but switches to the killer on occasion. This usually works, but I thought perhaps the killer was revealled too early in this one. Also, the whole "whodunnit" and the reasons why, and the way in which Flowers figures everything out, wasn't one of Sandford's best. But the journey to get there was great.

I haven't read a bad John Sandford novel yet. He's been one of my favorite authors since I began reading him. This is a great book and a must read. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
John Sanford has put Virgil Flowers back in the saddle and what a fine read it was. Having grown up in Minnesota, the countryside and the characters are familiar and comfortable to me. ( )
  LouisaK | Feb 2, 2016 |
Sandford remains on top of his game. "Rough Country," but smooth reading.

John Sandfordprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conger, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daniel, on his birthday
The August heat was lipping away with the day.

Original edition published in 2009 under the title Rough country, first German edition 2012 by Goldmann.

While competing in a fishing tournament in a remote area of northern Minnesota, Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigator Virgil Flowers gets a call from Lucas Davenport to investigate a murder at a nearby resort, where a woman has been shot while kayaking. The more he digs, the more he discovers the arrows of suspicion that point in many directions--then he finds that this is not the first murder, that there was a second, seemingly unrelated one, the year before.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,523,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible