Ford County: Stories by John Grisham

Ford County: Stories

by John Grisham

English (66)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (69)
These stories are filled with interesting characters. However, I found the endings mostly to lacks a WOW factor or I didn't see that coming. The best story in this collection is Blood Drive. This is an okay read. ( )
  lewilliams | Nov 18, 2015 |
My first Grisham experience. I was pleasantly surprised by how well-developed his characters were. He explored many interesting premises in this book, like a family dealing with a relative's execution on death row, a man leaving his life behind, an employee swindling the elderly even while making the nursing home a better place. Well-written and entertaining. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
He always surprises me

I've been one of John Grisham's fans for a long time, and have read the majority of his books; my favorite being A TIME TO KILL (his first). I'm ordinarily so deeply involved in reading the book that I don't even try to anticipate where it might be going, therefore, I'm usually surprised by his twist in the plot. I recently read THE INNOCENT MAN, which was a true story, and I really didn't care for it. That was another surprise for me.Then someone gave me FORD COUNTY (2009). This is a collection of seven of his short stories, each of which is excellent and completely different from the others. The next-to-last story, FUNNY BOY, is a heartbreaker. I really believe John Grisham is one of the very best of our contemporary writers. ( )
1 vote AudrieClifford | Jan 22, 2015 |
This book is a hoot. I've read some of Grisham's novels before. The only thing this collection of short stories has in common with Grisham's other works is that the law or lawyers plays a role in each story. Grisham's creativity and sense of humor are on full display in Ford County. I'm not normally into short stories, but as I finished each story, I couldn't wait to get to the next one. Great airplane reading. ( )
1 vote cmaese | Dec 30, 2014 |
For the most part the stories in FORD COUNTY are enjoyable on some level but there are few with greatly compelling narratives. I read 3/4 of them and have set the rest aside for another time. Time will tell whether I desire to return one day. ( )
  phrenetic.mind | Dec 30, 2014 |
The intermittent bursts of genuine thought and originality in “Ford County” show us how good [Grisham] might be if he weren’t so content to coast.
Mr. Grisham can give his story an unexpected twist without need of a heavy hand. His novels sometimes moralize; these short stories don’t need to because they transform their agendas into pure, vigorous plot.
To Bobby Moak
By the time the news of Bailey's accident spread through the rural settlement of Box Hill, there were several versions of how it happened.

Collection of short stories set in the fictional Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill.

John Grisham returns to Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of his immensely popular first novel, "A Time to Kill," with this wholly surprising collection of stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,851,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible