Ford County: Stories by John Grisham

Ford County: Stories

by John Grisham

English (75)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All (78)
I don't read short stories usually - but since it was a Grisham collection - I thought I'd give it a try. Glad I did. Loved the stories - memorable characters in every one. Grisham definitely has an eye for characters whose moral center is a bit off. ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |
I read part of the book. I became tired of trying to slightly through the filthy language and offensive stories that I just stopped reading. This was a first for me.
  lusetta | Mar 22, 2017 |
I received this book as a Christmas gift, and it truly shows Grisham's abilities as a southern author, able to weave the vagaries of the characters who live in Ford County with a story-teller's art. I've not been impressed with his novels though I have with the movies they've become, but here, in this set of short stories, the country of northern Mississippi and its inhabitants come to life. It has the genius of Flannery O'Connor's Georgia without the grotesque in which she so prided herself. The legal genius that Grisham writes is shown in very good, terse, readable detail. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
The seven short stories were amazing. Nothing like a quiet smooth fast pace read. When ever I pick up a John Grisham novel or a book of his short stories, I know I’m in for a treat. I have no complaints about any of the stories. Sometimes a reader will come across one or two stories in a book not that great but not this one. Every story lived up to John Grisham’s name.

The description review they already have here at RR has all the information about the book. I could write about the stories but I would just be re-writing what is already written. He has written wonderful compelling contemporary legal thrillers. Novels you can’t put down.

I’m glad I read this book and I highly recommend this book for other’s…..

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
This is a collection of short stories that involves the community in Ford County. Interestingly we don't come into contact with any of the characters that we loved like Jake Briggance, or Harry Rex. I was hoping to run into them. Well despite this disappointment the book was still a fun read.

It is not necessary to read any of Grisham's previous works to enjoy this novel. Each of these stories is independent of the others. The only criticism that I have for this book is that there is no transition from one story to the next. Not that this would matter if I had been actually reading this book, but since I chose it as a book for the Audiobook challenge it was a little harder to cope with the lack of transition. One minute you ware with one set of characters, the next you are with a whole different cast of characters and if you drifted away from the story at the crucial moment you're not sure what the heck happened. This may not be a failing of the book so much as a failing of the producers who failed to initialize each segment in a way that would tell you that you have just taking a turn in the road.

It is difficult to give a synopsis of this kind of book because each story is a novella and any attempt to give a description will result in a spoiler. So what Ive got for you is this:

1. John Grisham fans will not be disappointed.
2. Like many of his other works this book is mini-legal thriller style stories.
3. This book does not include anything that offends the average person's sensibilities.
4. I recommend this book to individuals that like to relate to the characters in the book they are reading.

jlsimon7 | Feb 26, 2016 |
The intermittent bursts of genuine thought and originality in “Ford County” show us how good [Grisham] might be if he weren’t so content to coast.

Mr. Grisham can give his story an unexpected twist without need of a heavy hand. His novels sometimes moralize; these short stories don’t need to because they transform their agendas into pure, vigorous plot.

To Bobby Moak
By the time the news of Bailey's accident spread through the rural settlement of Box Hill, there were several versions of how it happened.

Collection of short stories set in the fictional Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill.

John Grisham returns to Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of his immensely popular first novel, "A Time to Kill," with this wholly surprising collection of stories.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,249,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible