SantaThing sign up ends in 2 minutes (5:00 PM EDT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Ford County: Stories by John Grisham

Ford County: Stories

by John Grisham

English (73)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  English (76)
I received this book as a Christmas gift, and it truly shows Grisham's abilities as a southern author, able to weave the vagaries of the characters who live in Ford County with a story-teller's art. I've not been impressed with his novels though I have with the movies they've become, but here, in this set of short stories, the country of northern Mississippi and its inhabitants come to life. It has the genius of Flannery O'Connor's Georgia without the grotesque in which she so prided herself. The legal genius that Grisham writes is shown in very good, terse, readable detail. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
The seven short stories were amazing. Nothing like a quiet smooth fast pace read. When ever I pick up a John Grisham novel or a book of his short stories, I know I’m in for a treat. I have no complaints about any of the stories. Sometimes a reader will come across one or two stories in a book not that great but not this one. Every story lived up to John Grisham’s name.

The description review they already have here at RR has all the information about the book. I could write about the stories but I would just be re-writing what is already written. He has written wonderful compelling contemporary legal thrillers. Novels you can’t put down.

I’m glad I read this book and I highly recommend this book for other’s…..

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
This is a collection of short stories that involves the community in Ford County. Interestingly we don't come into contact with any of the characters that we loved like Jake Briggance, or Harry Rex. I was hoping to run into them. Well despite this disappointment the book was still a fun read.

It is not necessary to read any of Grisham's previous works to enjoy this novel. Each of these stories is independent of the others. The only criticism that I have for this book is that there is no transition from one story to the next. Not that this would matter if I had been actually reading this book, but since I chose it as a book for the Audiobook challenge it was a little harder to cope with the lack of transition. One minute you ware with one set of characters, the next you are with a whole different cast of characters and if you drifted away from the story at the crucial moment you're not sure what the heck happened. This may not be a failing of the book so much as a failing of the producers who failed to initialize each segment in a way that would tell you that you have just taking a turn in the road.

It is difficult to give a synopsis of this kind of book because each story is a novella and any attempt to give a description will result in a spoiler. So what Ive got for you is this:

1. John Grisham fans will not be disappointed.
2. Like many of his other works this book is mini-legal thriller style stories.
3. This book does not include anything that offends the average person's sensibilities.
4. I recommend this book to individuals that like to relate to the characters in the book they are reading.

jlsimon7 | Feb 26, 2016 |
This is certainly not one of my favourite Grisham books – and that would apply to most other authors I’ve read who assemble a book of short stories.

The positive side of these stories was that they were easily finished, but just as they were ‘warming up’ they came to an abrupt end. It was like reading a script from a one hour television series. Forty-one minutes of time building up characters and plot, cut to an advertisement, and then finish with a two minute summary of ‘who dunnit’ with many clues which we did not know.

All of the Ford County stories would make an ideal one television show. They all have a degree of suspense and good plots only to be let down by the brick wall called ‘The End’.

A short story book usually rates between two and three stars as far as I am concerned.

Two stars because I do not like the way short stories have to end and three stars for the story which is usually fairly good.
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Actually, I would like to give this book just three and a half stars. The stories were good, but each ended without enough of a punch. ( )
  Marion_B | Jan 19, 2016 |
The intermittent bursts of genuine thought and originality in “Ford County” show us how good [Grisham] might be if he weren’t so content to coast.

Mr. Grisham can give his story an unexpected twist without need of a heavy hand. His novels sometimes moralize; these short stories don’t need to because they transform their agendas into pure, vigorous plot.

To Bobby Moak
By the time the news of Bailey's accident spread through the rural settlement of Box Hill, there were several versions of how it happened.

Collection of short stories set in the fictional Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill.

John Grisham returns to Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of his immensely popular first novel, "A Time to Kill," with this wholly surprising collection of stories.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,652,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible