Ford County: Stories by John Grisham

Ford County: Stories

by John Grisham

Recently added bymiddleman66, julieshedd, private library, FOHHL, kmair08, INorris, JanConant

English (70)  Italian (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (73)
This is certainly not one of my favourite Grisham books – and that would apply to most other authors I’ve read who assemble a book of short stories.

The positive side of these stories was that they were easily finished, but just as they were ‘warming up’ they came to an abrupt end. It was like reading a script from a one hour television series. Forty-one minutes of time building up characters and plot, cut to an advertisement, and then finish with a two minute summary of ‘who dunnit’ with many clues which we did not know.

All of the Ford County stories would make an ideal one television show. They all have a degree of suspense and good plots only to be let down by the brick wall called ‘The End’.

A short story book usually rates between two and three stars as far as I am concerned.

Two stars because I do not like the way short stories have to end and three stars for the story which is usually fairly good.
  DCarlin | Jan 23, 2016 |
Actually, I would like to give this book just three and a half stars. The stories were good, but each ended without enough of a punch. ( )
  Marion_B | Jan 19, 2016 |
Interesting collection of short stories. Almost felt like ideas for novels he had but either couldn't fully work in the legal angle or wouldn't stand as full length novels. They were interesting and were a very quick read. ( )
  biggs1399 | Jan 19, 2016 |
I don't read short stories very often, and tend to prefer a full bookload of he same characters, but some of these stories really struck me. Plus I've read The Last Juror relatively recently, which also takes place in Clanton, Mississippi... I enjoyed the cameos of some of the colorful characters and places from that novel. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
These stories are filled with interesting characters. However, I found the endings mostly to lacks a WOW factor or I didn't see that coming. The best story in this collection is Blood Drive. This is an okay read. ( )
  lewilliams | Nov 18, 2015 |
The intermittent bursts of genuine thought and originality in “Ford County” show us how good [Grisham] might be if he weren’t so content to coast.

Mr. Grisham can give his story an unexpected twist without need of a heavy hand. His novels sometimes moralize; these short stories don’t need to because they transform their agendas into pure, vigorous plot.

To Bobby Moak
By the time the news of Bailey's accident spread through the rural settlement of Box Hill, there were several versions of how it happened.

Collection of short stories set in the fictional Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill.

John Grisham returns to Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of his immensely popular first novel, "A Time to Kill," with this wholly surprising collection of stories.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,193,418 books! | Top bar: Always visible