Ford County: Stories by John Grisham

Ford County: Stories

by John Grisham (Author)

2010 (9) adult (7) AIDS (5) audiobook (10) Calibre (5) crime (11) ebook (19) fiction (153) gambling (7) Grisham (9) hardcover (7) humor (10) John Grisham (10) Kindle (7) law (6) lawyers (12) legal (5) Mississippi (37) mystery (33) own (6) read (8) read in 2010 (6) Roman (6) short stories (127) small town (5) South (7) stories (8) thriller (12) to-read (15) unread (6)

English (61)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (63)
After a busy week, I needed a quick read that didn't get me too hooked and this was perfect. It was also my first experience of Grisham as an author. Sure, I'd sleepwalked through the movie adaptations of his novels, but I'd never felt the urge to pick up any of his books. Suffice to say, after this collection of short stories about small town life I will be.
Be warned though, some of the stories don't make for easy reading: a family visiting their son on death row for the last time, a man ostracised by his family and community for his 'condition', but some will supply the odd wry smile and they're mostly based on revenge.
What Grisham does well is write characters you can empathise with, even if they're unlikeable (take note Sue Townsend ) to the extent that by the end of each story you feel for almost everybody caught in that situation.

This is a great 'weekend/long journey' book, but don't think you'll be able to do 'just' one story at a time. You'll be onto the next on in no time. ( )
  Kate_Ward | Nov 12, 2013 |
I loved these stories of the quirky folks from Clanton, Mississippi in Ford County. I agree with Pat Conroy: "Ford County is the best writing John Grisham has ever done." Each story is unique and the characters and situations were interesting and fun to read. This is a refreshing departure from the usual Grisham books, although those are good too. Dear Mr. Grisham please write more short story collections like this one. ( )
  jwood652 | Sep 28, 2013 |
A really good collection of short stories from Grisham's Ford County, the same place that he set A Time To Kill! There are 7 stories and all, and I enjoyed each and every one of them! A crazy mess as some boys try to donate blood, and AIDS patient returns to town, a lawyer gets an update on an old case, and other stories! I only recognized one character from A Time to Kill, ol' Harry Rex Vonner the divorce lawyer, so not much connection to that book. And I'm curious if it'll cross over to the upcoming sequel. But, all on its own, this is a mighty fine book to read! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Sep 27, 2013 |
EDITORIAL REVIEW: In his first collection of short stories John Grisham takes us back to Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of his first novel, *A Time to Kill*.Wheelchair-bound Inez Graney and her two older sons, Leon and Butch, take a bizarre road trip through the Mississippi Delta to visit the youngest Graney brother, Raymond, who's been locked away on death row for eleven years. It could well be their last visit.Mack Stafford, a hard-drinking and low-grossing run-of-the-mill divorce lawyer gets a miracle phone call with a completely unexpected offer to settle some old, forgotten cases for more money than he has ever seen. Mack is suddenly bored with the law, fed up with his wife and his life, and makes drastic plans to finally escape.Quiet, dull Sidney, a data collector for an insurance company, perfects his blackjack skills in hopes of bringing down the casino empire of Clanton's most ambitious hustler, Bobby Carl Leach, who, among other crimes, has stolen Sidney's wife.Three good ol' boys from rural Ford County begin a journey to the big city of Memphis to give blood to a grievously injured friend. However, they are unable to drive past a beer store as the trip takes longer and longer. The journey comes to an abrupt end when they make a fateful stop at a Memphis strip club.The Quiet Haven Retirement Home is the final stop for the elderly of Clanton. It's a sad, languid place with little controversy, until Gilbert arrives. Posing as a lowly paid bedpan boy, he is in reality a brilliant stalker with an uncanny ability to sniff out the assets of those "seniors" he professes to love.One of the hazards of litigating against people in a small town is that one day, long after the trial, you will probably come face-to-face with someone you've beaten in a lawsuit. Lawyer Stanley Wade bumps into an old adversary, a man with a long memory, and the encounter becomes a violent ordeal.Clanton is rocked with the rumor that the gay son of a prominent family has finally come home, to die. Of AIDS. Fear permeates the town as gossip runs unabated. But in Lowtown, the colored section of Clanton, the young man finds a soul mate in his final days.Featuring a cast of characters you'll never forget, these stories bring Ford County to vivid and colorful life. Often hilarious, frequently moving, and always entertaining, this collection makes it abundantly clear why John Grisham is our most popular storyteller. ( )
  Hans.Michel | Sep 13, 2013 |
Grisham's first collection of 7 short stories was a success. They all had well-developed characters and plots, leaving me with a few scenes that I won't soon forget. I have always enjoyed Grisham novels, so this collection didn't surprise me. Now - I'm just hoping for more.

Originally posted on: Thoughts of Joy ( )
  ThoughtsofJoyLibrary | Aug 12, 2013 |
The intermittent bursts of genuine thought and originality in “Ford County” show us how good [Grisham] might be if he weren’t so content to coast.

Mr. Grisham can give his story an unexpected twist without need of a heavy hand. His novels sometimes moralize; these short stories don’t need to because they transform their agendas into pure, vigorous plot.

To Bobby Moak
By the time the news of Bailey's accident spread through the rural settlement of Box Hill, there were several versions of how it happened.

Collection of short stories set in the fictional Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of Grisham's first novel, A Time to Kill.

John Grisham returns to Ford County, Mississippi, the setting of his immensely popular first novel, "A Time to Kill," with this wholly surprising collection of stories.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,471,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible