Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace…

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon

by Grace Lin

2,1531914,551 (4.31)148
Recently added byLisa_Francine, UnionCongUCC, Avasara, kitkat.x, ColdBayLibrary, private library

English (187)  French (1)  All languages (188)
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is the engaging and thoroughly enjoyable tale of a young girl, named Minli, who sets out on a quest to change her family's fortune. Minli's family lives in a very poor village, barely able the scratch enough rice out of the stubborn dirt to survive. While this harsh existence causes her mother to grow bitter, Minli's father tells vibrant, colorful tales to brighten their existence. Minli decides that she must find the Old Man in the Moon, a character from her father's tales, and ask him how to improve her family's fortune. Throughout her quest Minli encounters strange creatures and makes new friends, learning crucial lessons along the way. But when she finds the Old Man in Moon she is forced to make a difficult choice that could seal her family's fortune forever.

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is truly many stories in one, as mini folktale-style stories are woven throughout. As the author pulls her "strings of destiny" first in one direction, then in another, the story comes together in a richly woven, cohesive tapestry. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon considers topics such as the importance of family and what it really means to have good fortune through the creation of a vivid, imaginative world. As Minli learns through her quest, and her parent's learn through her absence, they may have already had all the goof fortune they need. ( )
  adrouet | Apr 5, 2019 |
I did not enjoy the book “Where the Mountain Meets the Moon” for a couple of reasons. First, this book is structured around dragons and took a while to take off for me. I just could not get hooked into the book and I feel like it may be one that I will revisit later. The book is a fantast book about dragons and inspired by folktales. Personally, it is not my preference which I realized while reading the book because I found myself realizing I was reading more rather than indulging in the text. The book is great for those who love fantasy, journey, and dragons. For those who love those genres, this book is perfect for you. ( )
  kisabe1 | Mar 31, 2019 |
I have mixed feelings about this novel. I absolutely loved the artwork on the cover and throughout the book. I also enjoyed the nontraditional font, I found it very fitting with the artwork. I thought the book was an easy read and a great level for upper elementary. I was not a huge fan of the plot because I am not a huge fan of fantasy novels. I do not typically enjoy reading novels about dragons and mystical creature. Due to personal interest, I was not grabbed by the book. The author did a great job creating the plot and as reading I did want to know more and figure out what happened to Minli. There is a lot of adventure throughout the book as you follow Minli and many hidden meanings behind characters and events. ( )
  chayes14 | Mar 26, 2019 |
This book is unlike anything I've ever read before. It's better! I was so intrigued by the mysticism and the traditional aspects of story-telling. As an American, reading diverse texts like these broaden my horizons. I also loved the main characters unstoppable sense of curiosity. The language used was incredibly descriptive and I couldn't put the book down. The omniscient point of view gave the book a really interesting style and gave readers the opportunity to feel like a real part of the story. The message of family, loyalty, and prosperity provide readers with a sense of hope for the future and the fortune it may bring.
  vbazuz1 | Mar 11, 2019 |
This was a wonderful book to start 2016 off. It was a book inspired by folktales, so it feels like a book with lessons to teach and morality to learn. Adventure, friendship, hospitality, self-sacrifice, and gratitude are all woven into the story. Lin using a combination of narrative and storytelling in the format of Chinese folktales to tell a story that is intricate and engaging, worthwhile but not heavy handed. I adored every word.

And then, of course, there are her illustrations. I read this on my iPad, and for the first time ever, I recognized the true benefit of tablet technology over the ink technology of my kobo. The illustrations that accompany the story are beautiful, adding yet another layer to Lin's storytelling.

As Isabel gets older, I start thinking about the books I'd like to read allowed to her before bed, the two of us cuddled on the couch, flipping page after page of stories. This is one I would like to share with her one day.

(A full review can be found on my blog .) ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
CCBC (Cooperative Children's Book Center Choices 2010)
Life is hard in Minli’s Village of Fruitless Mountain, where she lives with Ba and Ma, her father and mother. Despite their hardships, Minli finds joy in the magical stories Ba tells at dinner each evening. When Minli spends her family’s last two coins to buy a goldfish, the fantasy of her father’s stories merges with the bleak reality of their daily life. Unable to feed the fish, Minli releases it in the river, and in payment the fish tells her how to get to Never-Ending Mountain. There, Minli knows, she can ask a question of the Old Man of the Moon. Determined to find out how to change the fortune of her town, she sets off. Grace Lin deftly inserts a series of tales inspired by traditional Chinese folktales into the larger tapestry of Minli’s extraordinary journey that is full of adventure and trials. Gorgeous book design augments this fast-paced fantasy, including occasional full-page color illustrations, chapter heading decorations, and a typeface treatment that visually distinguishes the folktale segments from the overarching story of Minli’s quest. CCBC Category: Fiction for Children. 2009, Little, Brown, 278 pages, $16.99. Ages 8-11.
added by kthomp25 | editCooperative Children's Book Center Choices

Special thanks to:
Alvina, Connie, Libby, Janet, Mom, Dad, and Alex
Far away from here, following the Jade River, there was once a black mountain that cut into the sky like a jagged piece of rough metal.
"Ahh, good," the fish said. "If you make happy those that are near, those that are far will come."

Minli, an adventurous girl from a poor village, buys a magical goldfish, and then joins a dragon who cannot fly on a quest to find the Old Man of the Moon in hopes of bringing life to Fruitless Mountain and freshness to Jade River.

In the valley of Fruitless mountain, a young girl named Minli lives in a ramshackle hut with her parents. In the evenings, her father regales her with old folktales of the Jade Dragon and the Old Man on the Moon, who knows the answers to all of life's questions. Inspired by these stories, Minli sets off on an extraordinary journey to find the Old Man on the Moon to ask him how she can change her family's fortune. She encounters an assorted cast of characters and magical creatures along the way, including a dragon who accompanies her on her quest for the ultimate answer.

Grace Lin, author of the beloved Year of the Dog and Year of the Rat, returns with a wondrous story of adventure, faith, and friendship. A fantasy crossed with Chinese folklore, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is a timeless story reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz. Her beautiful illustrations, printed in full-color, accompany the text throughout. Once again, she has created a charming, engaging book for young readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:51 -0400)

Minli, an adventurous girl from a poor village, buys a magical goldfish, and then joins a dragon who can't fly on a quest to find the Old Man of the Moon in hopes of bringing life to Fruitless Mountain and freshness to Jade River.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,467,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible