Jonas by Eden Maguire

Kinda dragged along for me. ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
If I think about it, this book was nothing special, but the plot is interesting enough that I read it in one sitting. It's a really fast read: I read it in a couple of hours and it was late at night.

I loved the premise of dead people having some unfinished business that they have to solve (the events surrounding their deaths). The only thing I found a bit weird is Hunter's time as an undead. All the other "ghosts" only have one year to be part of the world of the living. Hunter, however, has spent a lot more time than that there.

This is the kind of book to read when you have exams. Interesting plot, but not overly complicated, and you can cover a lot of ground in a short time. Not recommended for long plane/train/car trips though, unless you take the whole series with you.

Longer review soon. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
I had a lot of problems with this book. I really didn't like how Darina treated her mother or her supposed best friend. Because of this, I found it nearly impossible to like her. If I had read this book a few years ago, I probably would have loved it, it had all the dramatic obsessive love story elements that preteen me would have adored. ( )
  emmyreads | Jan 4, 2016 |
Can I bash Darina's head in yet, please? I hate her, whiny little Bella wannabe. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Eh, I expected a whole lot more from this book, to be honest. It wasn't bad.. but it just wasn't good. It was SO over-dramatic that found myself cringing half the time. The names also annoyed me, to be honest. Phoenix, Arizona, Jonas, Summer? Just didn't feel very ''typical high school'' to me and I found it hard to take a lot of the characters seriously. Overall, it was okay. I will be reading the sequel.. out of curiosity more than anything. ( )
  nicola26 | Mar 30, 2013 |
The first thing I heard was a door banging in the wind.

Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Phoenix is the fourth teenager to die within a year. His street fight stabbing follows the deaths of Jonas, Summer and Arizona in equally strange and sudden circumstances. Rumours of ghosts and strange happenings rip through the small community as it comes to terms with shock and loss. Darina, Phoenix's grief-stricken girlfriend, is on the verge. She can't escape her intense heartache, or the impossible apparitions of those that are meant to be dead. And all the while the sound of beating wings echo inside her head...And then one day Phoenix appears to Darina. Ecstatic to be reunited, he tells her about the Beautiful Dead. Souls in limbo, they have been chosen to return to the world to set right a wrong linked to their deaths and bring about justice. Beautiful, superhuman and powerful, they are marked by a 'death mark' - a small tattoo of angel's wings. Phoenix tells her that the sound of invisible wings beating are the millions of souls in limbo, desperate to return to earth. Darina's mission is clear: she must help Jonas, Summer, Arizona, and impossibly, her beloved Phoenix, right the wrong linked to their deaths to set them free from limbo so that they can finally rest in peace. Will love conquer death? And if it does, can Darina set it free?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:26 -0400)

Sourcebooks Fire

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Fire.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,110,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible