Speaker for the Dead (Ender, Book 2) by…

Speaker for the Dead (Ender, Book 2) (original 1986; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:JeffV
Title:Speaker for the Dead (Ender, Book 2)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (1994), Edition: Revised Edition, Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Rating:*1/2

Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (1986)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    City of Pearl by Karen Traviss (saltmanz)
    saltmanz: These two books have quite a lot in common: first contact, a Christian human colony, a group of scientists, moral dilemmas, sharply drawn characters, and even more that I won't get into for fear of spoilers. Both fantastic books.
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell (sturlington)
    sturlington: Also about first contact with an alien civilization that humans cannot understand.

English (136)  Hungarian (2)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (143)
Did not enjoy this as much as the first, but it still was a really well written book. ( )
  learn2laugh | Sep 14, 2014 |
There is so much going on in this book, I'm glad I could keep up with it. Another winner by Card. I always enjoy when the author references something in the previous book and I understand the reference. ( )
  nycke137 | Jul 29, 2014 |
Great follow up to a good book…
…so what is next? I was impressed by the first book and simply amazed by the second. I can still say that the writing is easy to read and that the pages drifted by. Being able to spend millennia in space and only ages weeks/months must make it very hard to keep up with technology. I can’t imagine the amount of time it would take to catch up on the news of the day!
Looking forward to the next book. ( )
  gopfolk | Jul 9, 2014 |

Moore, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stuyter, M.K.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Gregg Keizer who already knew how
Since we are not yet fully comfortable with the idea that people from the next village are as human as ourselves, it is presumptuous in the extreme to suppose we could ever look at sociable, tool-making creatures who arose from other evolutionary paths and see not beasts but brothers, not rivals but fellow pilgrims journeying to the shrine of intelligence.
Only one rabbi dared to expect of us such a perfect balance that we could preserve the law and still forgive the deviation. So, of course, we killed him.
No human being, when you understand his desires, is worthless. No one’s life is nothing. Even the most evil of men and women, if you understand their hearts, had some generous act that redeems them, at least a little, from their sins.
Order and disorder, they each have their beauty.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812532570, Mass Market Paperback)

Ender Wiggin, the hero and scapegoat of mass alien destruction in Ender's Game, receives a chance at redemption in this novel. Ender, who proclaimed as a mistake his success in wiping out an alien race, wins the opportunity to cope better with a second race, discovered by Portuguese colonists on the planet Lusitania. Orson Scott Card infuses this long, ambitious tale with intellect by casting his characters in social, religious and cultural contexts. Like its predecessor, this book won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:32 -0400)

In the aftermath of his terrible war, Ender Wiggin disappeared, and a powerful voice arose: the Speaker of the Dead, who told the true story of the Bugger War. Now, long years later, a second alien race has been discovered, but again the aliens' ways are strange and frightening, again, humans die. And it is only the speaker for the Dead, who is also Ender Wiggin the Xenocide, who has the courage to confront the mystery, and the truth. -Back cover.… (more)

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,398 books! | Top bar: Always visible