Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Shadow (1999)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender's Game: Extended (5), Bean (1)

8,534101360 (4.14)1 / 179

English (99)  Latin (1)  French (1)  All languages (101)
A great companion to Ender's Game. Card writes pre/teen angst better than most, and Bean is just like Ender, Harry Potter, or any other young hero. Skip Speaker for the Dead, this is where it's at. ( )
  Karen.Helfrick | Jan 26, 2016 |
If you're into the Ender series, this book is an okay sequel. However I dislike Card on principal - he's a homophobe and a hypocrite. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
☊/print Ender’s Shadow by Card, Orson Scott, read by cast
????.5 (???? for the book ????? for the audio recording) rounded to 5

Bean was named by Poke, a girl barely surviving as a street urchin in charge of younger children. The size of a two year old but actually four, and starving, Bean gives Poke a way to live better, and in turn becomes a part of that group. The benefit is that he’s eating better than he has since he lived in the clean place, but the drawback is that one of the pivotal keys to their dietary improvement is the evil Achilles who Bean knows wants to kill both him and Poke. But the change in the lives of the children on the street, and not just Achilles’ group now (Poke is no longer in charge), thanks to Bean’s savvy, garners the attention of adults, including Sister Carlotta who works for others and is on the lookout for a brilliant child who may end up going to Battle School where Ender Wiggins, whom we know from Ender’s Game, a parallel novel written first, is. Anyone who has read the first book or the back of this knows that Bean ends up there, but the question is how and when and what the mysteries are surrounding his life on the streets at such a young age, how he got there and why.

Just as with Ender’s Game, I started first with the audio recording, which is very well done, but since I am listening to it with my son, I read ahead in the book and finished it. The book isn’t better than Ender’s Game in some ways, but it is in others, and again this is one time where there are certain scenes where the different voices make it easier to keep track of who is who. My son is at the edge of his seat when we listen, but so far he’s heard only the first two disks, and still don’t know Bean’s origins, how he makes it to flight school, whether or not Achilles manages to kill Poke, whether or not Bean is truly an orphan or even if Bean is the same as any other living child. But I do, and if you want to know, you’ll have to listen to this or read this yourself, because I’m not going to make it easy for you by giving you any spoilers. If you have read Ender’s Game but not this book, I highly recommend reading this because it will shed more light on the situation and while it is a parallel novel, it is not a rehash of what you’ve read before.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
I read this around middle school. For some reason I was even more into it than Ender's Game. ( )
  willszal | Jan 3, 2016 |
Absolutely amazing. I love this world and the characters are just so great. Bean is my favourite and I can't wait to read more stories with him as the protagonist. AHHH SO GOOD!!! ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
De Cuir, GabrielleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falkenstern, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dick and Hazie Brown
In Whose Home No One Is Hungry
And In Whose Hearts No One Is A Stranger
"You think you've found somebody, so suddenly my program gets the ax?"
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
My son, my son Absalom. Would God I could die for thee, Absalom, my sons!
Why don't you tell me what you don't want me to know, and I'll tell you if I already know it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765342405, Paperback)

Ender's Shadow is being dubbed as a parallel novel to Orson Scott Card's Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Ender's Game. By "parallel," Card means that Shadow begins and ends at roughly the same time as Game, and it chronicles many of the same events. In fact, the two books tell an almost identical story of brilliant children being trained in the orbiting Battle School to lead humanity's fleets in the final war against alien invaders known as the Buggers. The most brilliant of these young recruits is Ender Wiggin, an unparalleled commander and tactician who can surely defeat the Buggers if only he can overcome his own inner turmoil.

Second among the children is Bean, who becomes Ender's lieutenant despite the fact that he is the smallest and youngest of the Battle School students. Bean is the central character of Shadow, and we pick up his story when he is just a 2-year-old starving on the streets of a future Rotterdam that has become a hell on earth. Bean is unnaturally intelligent for his age, which is the only thing that allows him to escape--though not unscathed--the streets and eventually end up in Battle School. Despite his brilliance, however, Bean is doomed to live his life as an also-ran to the more famous and in many ways more brilliant Ender. Nonetheless, Bean learns things that Ender cannot or will not understand, and it falls to this once pathetic street urchin to carry the weight of a terrible burden that Ender must not be allowed to know.

Although it may seem like Shadow is merely an attempt by Card to cash in on the success of his justly famous Ender's Game, that suspicion will dissipate once you turn the first few pages of this engrossing novel. It's clear that Bean has a story worth telling, and that Card (who started the project with a cowriter but later decided he wanted it all to himself) is driven to tell it. And though much of Ender's Game hinges on a surprise ending that Card fans are likely well acquainted with, Shadow manages to capitalize on that same surprise and even turn the table on readers. In the end, it seems a shame that Shadow, like Bean himself, will forever be eclipsed by the myth of Ender, because this is a novel that can easily stand on its own. Luckily for readers, Card has left plenty of room for a sequel, so we may well be seeing more of Bean in the near future. --Craig E. Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:51 -0400)

Follows the life of Ender Wiggin's comrade Bean, from his escape from the mean streets of Rotterdam, to his student days at the Battle School, and to his role as Ender's right hand ally, strategist, and friend in the epic struggle to save Earth from alien invaders.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,994,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible