dismiss

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Shadow (1999)

by Orson Scott Card

9,931103498 (4.12)1 / 199
Andrew "Ender" Wiggin was not the only child in the Battle School; he was just the best of the best. Card tells the story of another of those precocious generals, the one they called Bean who became Ender's right hand, in the final battle against the Buggers. Bean's past was a battle just to survive. Hus success brought hin to the attention of the Battle School's recruiters, those people scouring the planet for leaders, tacticians, and generals to save Earth from the threat of alien invasion. Bean was sent into orbit, to the Battle School. And there he met Ender...… (more)

English (102)  Latin (1)  All languages (103)
eh ( )
  mvayngrib | Mar 22, 2020 |
I read Ender's Game a few years ago and remembered being a little annoyed by the psychotic genius children in space army idea, but it was interesting and readable and the sequels were more interesting if even stranger. The stories about Ender's sidekick, Bean were on my list so I started in on it. There's still something irritating about it, but I'll probably read them all. (Phew, I didn't!) A good narrative soothes my cranky brain. I pray that nobody tries to make movies out of this stuff. (December 10, 2003) ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Ender's Shadow is a retelling of the story of Ender's Game, but from the point of view of a different character, a battle school cadet called Bean, one of the top kids there who featured prominently in the original novel, too.

I thought that Ender's Shadow was bound to be a failure - how could reading the same story twice be anything but an unnecessary exercise in boredom. But this was not the case at all.

You see, Bean has a different personality and, more importantly, a completely different background than Ender Wiggin, the genius child commander who is the point of view character of the original series. This results in a fresh view of the events at battle school, with Bean's powerful analytical skills offering more insight into what is really happening politically behind the scenes than what was revealed in Ender's Game. As Bean is just as interested in the political situation back on Earth as he is in the impending war on an alien race, this serves as a good motivation to explain this part of the Ender's Game universe, although Card falls into the trap of splitting the world into good guys and bad guys along the traditional Cold War divide. Just for once I'd like to read about Russians as the good guys.

Even more interesting, however, is the story of Bean's origins. How he manages to survive as an abandoned baby on the mean streets of Rotterdam, where child gangs and bullies control access to charity kitchens and thus - life, is probably, together with Sister Carlotta's search for Bean's true family, the most interesting part of the book.

A pretty great piece of sci-fi, with classic Card drawbacks: really too brilliant four-to-ten-year-olds to be believable and the inability to resist his land-of-the-free-home-of-the-brave-and-religiously-indoctrinated political views from shining through. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
As a stand alone, this book is good, a little rough around the edges and a little light on characterization. The problem? Ender's Game was such a wonderful read, it's one of those books i scoop up every time i find it at Goodwill and immediately try to find some who hasn't read it yet to give it too. And the trilogy that followed was soooo damn serious. So i understand what Mr Card was trying to do, recapture some of the wonder and fun of his original setting. Didn't necessarily work for me. Bean's genius came off as exaggerated and the premise behind seemed stretched. The villain was a cut-out and i'm getting tired of 'found-family' happy endings. Not Mr. Card's best. ( )
  aeceyton | Aug 18, 2017 |
The Shadow series follows Bean and is a ton of fun. A worthy follow-up to Ender's Game, and a great opportunity to see what happens with the members of Ender's Jeesh, I'd recommend these books to anyone who enjoyed Ender's Game (and how can someone not like Ender's Game?). ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |

Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dick and Hazie Brown
In Whose Home No One Is Hungry
And In Whose Hearts No One Is A Stranger
"You think you've found somebody, so suddenly my program gets the ax?"
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
My son, my son Absalom. Would God I could die for thee, Absalom, my sons!
Why don't you tell me what you don't want me to know, and I'll tell you if I already know it?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,597,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible