Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Shadow (1999)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender's Game: Extended (5), Bean (1)

8,10496393 (4.14)1 / 167

English (93)  Latin (1)  French (1)  All languages (95)
Review originally posted on Goodreads.

I loved seeing the story from Bean's perspective! If you enjoyed Ender's Game, you'll most likely enjoy this as well. You will not be missing anything if you do not read Ender's Game, but it only adds to the experience if you have. It didn't feel like a "retelling" of the novel but from a different point of view. Instead, it delves into Bean's background and his experiences in Battle School. ( )
  apollymipanthos | Sep 8, 2014 |
So glad this book was written. Firstly because I loved the world of Ender and was really interested to see another take on what he was going through. However the character of Bean was actually just as interesting if not more so. His incredible beginnings set the tone for a tale of hardship and hard won battles. ( )
  areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |
Part of the Ender series of novels, this is the story of Bean's time at Battle School, following his path parallel to Ender's. ( )
  pmlyayakkers | Jul 25, 2014 |
I read and enjoyed the original book about Ender, "Ender's Game" and at least two of its sequels, but had not reacquainted myself with Ender's universe for several years until this week, with "Ender's Shadow".

Taken from the perspective of one of Ender's acquaintances, "Bean", this story parallels and complements its predecessor. I won't get into the plot, but will just suggest that if you appreciate intelligent yet personal SciFi, and/or enjoyed "Ender's Game", you should read this book.

For me, it was a "I can't-participate-in-real-life-I've-got-to-finish-reading-this" type of book. Recommended, very highly. ( )
  fuzzi | Jul 19, 2014 |
It was really fun to go back to Ender's Game from Bean's viewpoint. I really enjoyed learning more about Bean's story, and the end was just perfect. ( )
  camibrite | May 25, 2014 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
De Cuir, GabrielleNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Falkenstern, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Dick and Hazie Brown
In Whose Home No One Is Hungry
And In Whose Hearts No One Is A Stranger
"You think you've found somebody, so suddenly my program gets the ax?"
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
My son, my son Absalom. Would God I could die for thee, Absalom, my sons!
Why don't you tell me what you don't want me to know, and I'll tell you if I already know it?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0765342405, Paperback)

Ender's Shadow is being dubbed as a parallel novel to Orson Scott Card's Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Ender's Game. By "parallel," Card means that Shadow begins and ends at roughly the same time as Game, and it chronicles many of the same events. In fact, the two books tell an almost identical story of brilliant children being trained in the orbiting Battle School to lead humanity's fleets in the final war against alien invaders known as the Buggers. The most brilliant of these young recruits is Ender Wiggin, an unparalleled commander and tactician who can surely defeat the Buggers if only he can overcome his own inner turmoil.

Second among the children is Bean, who becomes Ender's lieutenant despite the fact that he is the smallest and youngest of the Battle School students. Bean is the central character of Shadow, and we pick up his story when he is just a 2-year-old starving on the streets of a future Rotterdam that has become a hell on earth. Bean is unnaturally intelligent for his age, which is the only thing that allows him to escape--though not unscathed--the streets and eventually end up in Battle School. Despite his brilliance, however, Bean is doomed to live his life as an also-ran to the more famous and in many ways more brilliant Ender. Nonetheless, Bean learns things that Ender cannot or will not understand, and it falls to this once pathetic street urchin to carry the weight of a terrible burden that Ender must not be allowed to know.

Although it may seem like Shadow is merely an attempt by Card to cash in on the success of his justly famous Ender's Game, that suspicion will dissipate once you turn the first few pages of this engrossing novel. It's clear that Bean has a story worth telling, and that Card (who started the project with a cowriter but later decided he wanted it all to himself) is driven to tell it. And though much of Ender's Game hinges on a surprise ending that Card fans are likely well acquainted with, Shadow manages to capitalize on that same surprise and even turn the table on readers. In the end, it seems a shame that Shadow, like Bean himself, will forever be eclipsed by the myth of Ender, because this is a novel that can easily stand on its own. Luckily for readers, Card has left plenty of room for a sequel, so we may well be seeing more of Bean in the near future. --Craig E. Engler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:21 -0400)

Follows the life of Ender Wiggin's comrade Bean, from his escape from the mean streets of Rotterdam, to his student days at the Battle School, and to his role as Ender's right hand ally, strategist, and friend in the epic struggle to save Earth from alien invaders.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,977,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible