Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card

Xenocide (1991)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender's Game (3), Ender's Game: Extended (7)

Recently added byBrant_Klassen, mr.wolfie, private library, shaniber, farrhon, TonyMcMasters, ACSarajevo

English (70)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (75)
On the planet of Lusitania, now the home of Ender Wiggins, three civilizations are struggling to live in harmony. Or, at least not kill each other off. Humans, the pequininos and the Hive Queen are trying to maintain a delicate balance in which all can thrive and perhaps spread out to other worlds to ensure the survival of their race.

The problem is, a possibly sentient virus, the descolada, is trying to destroy the humans, and possibly even the Hive Queen. Yet, this virus is needed in every native organism on Lusitania, to ensure their survival and reproduction, including the piggies. Can a solution be found, or must there be another xenocide? Is the destruction of Lusitania whole the only way the Starways Congress can prevent the virus from spreading and destroying all humanity everywhere? Even if so, is another xenocide really morally justified? Also, if the virus is truly intelligent and sentient, is not destroying or genetically changing it a xenocide as well?

Intermixed and closely related to this plot line is the story of Path, a world of above-averagely intelligent humans who try to solve the problem for the Congress and end up discovering a few truths about themselves along the way...

I love this kind of philosophical questions in the Ender's Saga series and it remains a mystery to me how Orson Scott Card can come up with stuff as good as this in his books and then maintain so blatantly ignorant views in life.

What I mostly don't like in Xenocide, however, is a rather far fetched, difficult to comprehend solution to the faster-than-light flight problem. Meh, for me, bad science just spoils the good philosophy. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
I love the world of Ender Wiggin, and I loved this book. I'm glad it was unrepentant in its desire to technologically, philosophically and metaphysically explore complex ideas. It's my favorite part of the series. ( )
  Mattmcmanus | Aug 23, 2018 |
Card does not disappoint in this third book of Ender's Saga. I love the continuity between the books (especially between Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide) as well as the new characters that are introduced. The ending is a bit vague as to what happens to some of the characters, but still satisfying, and the cliffhangers that point to the remainder of the Saga are intriguing but not nail-biting. This is perfect for a person like me who likes to spread out a series and interject other genres and books in between.

One of the main undercurrents of this book seem to be the author's inner struggle with trying to make sense of God and religion. Very interesting, even though I don't think he gets it right. I hope that in his personal life he came to a better conclusion/understanding of who God is. ( )
  kurtwoods | Jan 18, 2018 |
I still like the basic story and characters, so I did enjoy this book, but I found myself annoyed at two things. First, the way that all the unsolvable problems were all almost completely solved within the last 100 pages seemed beyond implausible. I am a fan of Star Trek, so I am used to science being stretched beyond the breaking point of plausibility, but that brings me to my second gripe. Card spends an interminable amount of time with characters extensively exploring the philosophy and scientific minutiae that supposedly support the technology developed and used, all the while leaving the scientifically literate reader disappointed. If science can't support something in a story, then don't spend pages and pages and pages trying to justify it, just do it, and make up some brief, magical explanations. Had this been done, the book would likely have come in at a more reasonable 300 pages or so. ( )
  bness2 | May 23, 2017 |
My copy is folded and bent and loved and read four times. ( )
  LaRiccia | Mar 18, 2017 |
Bár a regény korántsem tökéletes, mégis megérdemli, hogy kiemelkedőnek nevezzem, hiszen kétségtelenül az utóbbi évek legötletesebb és legérdekesebb regénye. Card igazi profi, aki új színt hoz a sci-fibe: a pontosan kidolgozott karakterábrázolást, mely - valljuk be - az egész sci-fi műfaj leggyengébb pontja.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodgers, NickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sigaud, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Clark and Kathy Kidd:
for the freedom, for the haven,
and for frolics all over America
Han Fei-tzu sat in lotus position on the bare wooden floor beside his wife's sickbed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812509250, Mass Market Paperback)

Orson Scott Card's Xenocide is a space opera with verve. In this continuation of Ender Wiggin's story, the Starways Congress has sent a fleet to immolate the rebellious planet of Lusitania, home to the alien race of pequeninos, and home to Ender Wiggin and his family. Concealed on Lusitania is the only remaining Hive Queen, who holds a secret that may save or destroy humanity throughout the galaxy. Familiar characters from the previous novels continue to grapple with religious conflicts and family squabbles while inventing faster-than-light travel and miraculous virus treatments. Throw into the mix an entire planet of mad geniuses and a self-aware computer who wants to be a martyr, and it's hard to guess who will topple the first domino. Due to the densely woven and melodramatic nature of the story, newcomers to Ender's tale will want to start reading this series with the first books, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:24 -0400)

The Starways Congress decides that the deadly virus on Lusitania must be wiped out and sends a fleet to destroy it. After the fleet disappears, Gloriously Bright is selected to solve the mystery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,433,056 books! | Top bar: Always visible