Fajirtás by Orson Scott Card

Fajirtás (original 1991; edition 1999)

by Orson Scott Card

The Starways Congress decides that the deadly virus on Lusitania must be wiped out and sends a fleet to destroy it. After the fleet disappears, Gloriously Bright is selected to solve the mystery.
Member:asalamon
Title:Fajirtás
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Szeged : Szukits, cop. 1999
Tags:sci-fi, Ender

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card (1991)

English (77)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (82)
Xenocide is the third book in the Ender's Game series and explores the increasing risk to Lusitania, a planet housing the only other two sentient species in the galaxy, along with a virus that would kill every human if it could. The book starts in space as Ender's sister travels to Lusitania to see her brother. It also reaches far away to a planet called Path, where certain citizens are touched by God, which causes them to be both incredibly smart and also servants to brutal OCD symptoms. Card somehow brings this all together into a really interesting mix, at times having the two non-human sentient species talk to each other. A good book and I'm looking forward to what happens next. ( )
1 vote LisaMorr | Jan 16, 2020 |
Great continuation of Ender's story. I'm not sure I buy all the Metaphysical stuff. But it kept me wanting to see what would happen next. ( )
  nx74defiant | Nov 24, 2019 |
I've been devouring the ender series over the last weeks, and enjoying my time with it quite a bit. It has a very smart story and handles a lot of interesting topics very well. This book was no exception to that.

The fundamental issues that are the topic of this book are interesting and well-written. The characters are also very well written, and the dialogues at the beginning of the chapter that have become standard for the series are also interesting, especially due to their perspective (I'll refrain from talking more about that, as it would probably qualify as a spoiler).

All in all, I have enjoyed the biggest part of the book a lot, and was considering a five-star-rating, until almost at the very end, there was a moment that, to me, was too much of a deus ex machina. It did not quite ruin the book to me, but it was a bit far-fetched and did not fit into my understanding of the ender universe, which was, for the most part, very realistic (if you disregard things like near-lightspeed travel and instantaneous communication, which are at least somewhat explained).

So, only four stars, and I'm interested in how the next and final book pans out. ( )
  malexmave | Oct 3, 2019 |
Meh, I appreciate the ideas here, I really do. But all that was interesting about Ender, Valentine and even the pequeninos is made cardboard for the sake of philosophical discussion. I really like the continuing themes of what is alien and what is not, and even what is god and what is not. I am less than thrilled with the plastic interactions of the characters discussing those themes. Not sure I have the stamina for the next one... ( )
  barrettlucero | Aug 23, 2019 |
Too much weird science, too much philosophizing, too much time spent on new characters I don't care about. The seeds of a good novel are here, but OSC kills them with his blathering. ( )
  AngelClaw | May 11, 2019 |
Bár a regény korántsem tökéletes, mégis megérdemli, hogy kiemelkedőnek nevezzem, hiszen kétségtelenül az utóbbi évek legötletesebb és legérdekesebb regénye. Card igazi profi, aki új színt hoz a sci-fibe: a pontosan kidolgozott karakterábrázolást, mely - valljuk be - az egész sci-fi műfaj leggyengébb pontja.

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodgers, NickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sigaud, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Clark and Kathy Kidd:
for the freedom, for the haven,
and for frolics all over America
Han Fei-tzu sat in lotus position on the bare wooden floor beside his wife's sickbed.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,384,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible