Xenocide (Ender, Book 3) by Orson Scott Card

Xenocide (Ender, Book 3) (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:grunin
Title:Xenocide (Ender, Book 3)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:Fiction, u, damaged

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card (1991)

English (74)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (79)
Meh, I appreciate the ideas here, I really do. But all that was interesting about Ender, Valentine and even the pequeninos is made cardboard for the sake of philosophical discussion. I really like the continuing themes of what is alien and what is not, and even what is god and what is not. I am less than thrilled with the plastic interactions of the characters discussing those themes. Not sure I have the stamina for the next one... ( )
  barrettlucero | Aug 23, 2019 |
Too much weird science, too much philosophizing, too much time spent on new characters I don't care about. The seeds of a good novel are here, but OSC kills them with his blathering. ( )
  AngelClaw | May 11, 2019 |
On Luisitania, Ender found a world where humans, the pequeninos and the hive queen can all live together. However, Luisitania also has the descolada, a virus that kills all humans it infects, but the pegueninos need to transform into adults. The Starways Congress fears the descolado escaping Luisitania and killing all the humans in the universe so they order the destruction of the planet and all who live there. The fleet seems to vanish so a young girl (Jiang-qing (Gloriously Bright)) on another planet, Path, She can solve the puzzle, but will she choose life or death for Luisitania?
  taurus27 | Mar 26, 2019 |
Hard to rate, I discovered the Enderverse in the late nineties and devoured them in quick succession. It's impossible to rate each individual volume in the series because in my memory they form a whole and each individual book is just a part of the story. I probably would have to say the Speaker trilogy ((Speaker for the Dead and its two sequels Xenocide and Children of the Mind) were my favorite. I felt like a teenager again contemplating the mysteries of the universe again. It was a glorious feeling to recapture and for that reason alone I would give it 5 stars. ( )
  Paperpuss | Feb 25, 2019 |
On the planet of Lusitania, now the home of Ender Wiggins, three civilizations are struggling to live in harmony. Or, at least not kill each other off. Humans, the pequininos and the Hive Queen are trying to maintain a delicate balance in which all can thrive and perhaps spread out to other worlds to ensure the survival of their race.

The problem is, a possibly sentient virus, the descolada, is trying to destroy the humans, and possibly even the Hive Queen. Yet, this virus is needed in every native organism on Lusitania, to ensure their survival and reproduction, including the piggies. Can a solution be found, or must there be another xenocide? Is the destruction of Lusitania whole the only way the Starways Congress can prevent the virus from spreading and destroying all humanity everywhere? Even if so, is another xenocide really morally justified? Also, if the virus is truly intelligent and sentient, is not destroying or genetically changing it a xenocide as well?

Intermixed and closely related to this plot line is the story of Path, a world of above-averagely intelligent humans who try to solve the problem for the Congress and end up discovering a few truths about themselves along the way...

I love this kind of philosophical questions in the Ender's Saga series and it remains a mystery to me how Orson Scott Card can come up with stuff as good as this in his books and then maintain so blatantly ignorant views in life.

What I mostly don't like in Xenocide, however, is a rather far fetched, difficult to comprehend solution to the faster-than-light flight problem. Meh, for me, bad science just spoils the good philosophy. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Bár a regény korántsem tökéletes, mégis megérdemli, hogy kiemelkedőnek nevezzem, hiszen kétségtelenül az utóbbi évek legötletesebb és legérdekesebb regénye. Card igazi profi, aki új színt hoz a sci-fibe: a pontosan kidolgozott karakterábrázolást, mely - valljuk be - az egész sci-fi műfaj leggyengébb pontja.

Card, Orson Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodgers, NickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sigaud, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Clark and Kathy Kidd:
for the freedom, for the haven,
and for frolics all over America
Han Fei-tzu sat in lotus position on the bare wooden floor beside his wife's sickbed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812509250, Mass Market Paperback)

Orson Scott Card's Xenocide is a space opera with verve. In this continuation of Ender Wiggin's story, the Starways Congress has sent a fleet to immolate the rebellious planet of Lusitania, home to the alien race of pequeninos, and home to Ender Wiggin and his family. Concealed on Lusitania is the only remaining Hive Queen, who holds a secret that may save or destroy humanity throughout the galaxy. Familiar characters from the previous novels continue to grapple with religious conflicts and family squabbles while inventing faster-than-light travel and miraculous virus treatments. Throw into the mix an entire planet of mad geniuses and a self-aware computer who wants to be a martyr, and it's hard to guess who will topple the first domino. Due to the densely woven and melodramatic nature of the story, newcomers to Ender's tale will want to start reading this series with the first books, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:24 -0400)

The war for survival of the planet Lusitania will be fought in the heart of a child named Gloriously Bright. On Lusitania, Ender found a world where humans and pequininos and the Hive Queen could all live together; where three very different intelligent species could find common ground at last. Or so he thought. Lusitania also harbors the descolada, a virus that kills all humans it infects, but which the pequininos require in order to become adults. The Startways Congress so fears the effects of the descolada, should it escape from Lusitania, that they have ordered the destruction of the entire planet, and all who live there. The Fleet is on its way, a second xenocide seems inevitable. Xenocide is the third novel in Orson Scott Card's Ender Quintet. THE ENDER UNIVERSE Ender series Ender's Game / Ender in Exile / Speaker for the Dead / Xenocide / Children of the Mind Ender's Shadow series Ender's Shadow / Shadow of the Hegemon / Shadow Puppets / Shadow of the Giant / Shadows in Flight Children of the Fleet The First Formic War (with Aaron Johnston) Earth Unaware / Earth Afire / Earth Awakens The Second Formic War (with Aaron Johnston) The Swarm /The Hive Ender novellas A War of Gifts /First Meetings… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,504,041 books! | Top bar: Always visible