Xenocide (Ender, Book 3) by Orson Scott Card

Xenocide (Ender, Book 3) (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:laurenpressley
Title:Xenocide (Ender, Book 3)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 608 pages
Tags:@nook

Xenocide by Orson Scott Card (1991)

English (64)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (69)
This book asks and further examines the difficulties for species survive together. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 12, 2016 |
I read this book when I was going through some personal changes in my religious beliefs. Tradition and religion plays a big part in this book in the Ender series. This is one of the better books of the Ender Series and I highly recommend. ( )
  Marc_Mccune | Apr 11, 2016 |
What stayed with me from this book was Han Qing-jao's test to see if she was godtouched. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
I need to rethink rereading some of my favorite books from my teenage years and simply let the past remain in the past. Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead hold up well over time, but then Ender's story devolves from there into ridiculousness.The last two books are an exercise in moral tedium without an intriguing plot.

I read Xenocide for the first time nearly two decades ago and upon finishing it I distinctly remember not caring enough to pick up the next book, the series conclusion Children of the Mind. I mean, Xenocide leaves you hanging with a fleet of starships heading towards Ender and crew to destroy the entire planet(!), and I still didn't bother to find out how it ended, at least not for several years. Curiously, I followed a similar pattern while reading Card's Shadow series.

The side narrative about Qing-jao, the people of Path and the Starways Congress was interesting, but that's about it. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Feb 10, 2016 |
Look - Ender was quirky, but cute.

But the rest of the books are drivel.

The books are now choke full of "moral dilemmas", all clumsy and contrived, as if the author just discovered the concept of a dilemma and is out to prove he can make the biggest one. My dilemma is bigger than your dilemma!

The characters are enacting a ludicrous soap opera amidst all said dilemmas, fighting, re-hashing their emotions with explicit dialog (not sexually explicit, just mouthing out everything that normal authors let you infer).

It's been a downward spiral ever since the end of Ender. ( )
  meekGee | Jul 6, 2015 |
Bár a regény korántsem tökéletes, mégis megérdemli, hogy kiemelkedőnek nevezzem, hiszen kétségtelenül az utóbbi évek legötletesebb és legérdekesebb regénye. Card igazi profi, aki új színt hoz a sci-fibe: a pontosan kidolgozott karakterábrázolást, mely - valljuk be - az egész sci-fi műfaj leggyengébb pontja.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rodgers, NickCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sigaud, BernardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Clark and Kathy Kidd:
for the freedom, for the haven,
and for frolics all over America
Han Fei-tzu sat in lotus position on the bare wooden floor beside his wife's sickbed.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812509250, Mass Market Paperback)

Orson Scott Card's Xenocide is a space opera with verve. In this continuation of Ender Wiggin's story, the Starways Congress has sent a fleet to immolate the rebellious planet of Lusitania, home to the alien race of pequeninos, and home to Ender Wiggin and his family. Concealed on Lusitania is the only remaining Hive Queen, who holds a secret that may save or destroy humanity throughout the galaxy. Familiar characters from the previous novels continue to grapple with religious conflicts and family squabbles while inventing faster-than-light travel and miraculous virus treatments. Throw into the mix an entire planet of mad geniuses and a self-aware computer who wants to be a martyr, and it's hard to guess who will topple the first domino. Due to the densely woven and melodramatic nature of the story, newcomers to Ender's tale will want to start reading this series with the first books, Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead. --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:24 -0400)

The Starways Congress decides that the deadly virus on Lusitania must be wiped out and sends a fleet to destroy it. After the fleet disappears, Gloriously Bright is selected to solve the mystery.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,719,729 books! | Top bar: Always visible