If You Love This Planet: A Plan to Heal the…

If You Love This Planet: A Plan to Heal the Earth

by Helen Caldicott

I started reading this book for uni and finished it because it was extraordinary. Helen Caldicott presents an entertaining yet informative picture of the world today and what we can do to save our planet. Written not as a textbook but more as a narrative, Caldicott explores threats to our planet such as population growth and global warming, and presents realistic and well-informed plans of attack to protect our planet ( )
  tonile.helena | Mar 31, 2013 |

"Helen Caldicott has been my inspiration to speak out."—Meryl Streep

Our planet is desperately ill and must be healed. If the human race does not change its present behavior, the ecosphere may be doomed within the next ten years. A renowned anti-nuclear activist for twenty years, Helen Caldicott here turns from the arms race to the race to save the planet, laying out the grim details of ozone depletion, excess energy consumption, pollution, and global warming. The causes: public apathy, corporate greed, and the cynical manipulation of political leaders.

To save the planet we need to change the way we think and behave. Closer contact with, and appropriate reverence for, nature will help to provide simple answers to seemingly complex problems.

If You Love This Planet describes in easy-to-understand language the scientific and medical consequences of the greenhouse effect, ozone depletion, deforestation, species extinction, toxic chemical pollution, nuclear waste, food contamination, and the ever-present threat of nuclear war.

Caldicott, a physician by training, also gives us a prescription for cure—and a cause for hope. We must learn energy efficiency, we must organize politically (voting, she suggests, should be compulsory), and we must hold corporations and governments accountable for their actions. Above all, she says, our fight for the planet will draw its greatest strength from a love for the Earth itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:17 -0400)

A renowned nuclear activist focuses her attention on ecological issues, providing solutions to ozone depletion, excess energy consumption, pollution, and global warming

7 avail.1 pay

W.W. Norton

2 editions of this book were published by W.W. Norton.

Editions: 0393308359, 0393333027

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,921,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible