Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (1985)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender's Game (1)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)

1980s (48)
Unread books (1,101)

English (749)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (767)
great story. very well written. ( )
  jodiesohl | Aug 29, 2015 |
Reading the other reviews of this book, I realize I don't really have anything new to say.

But then, how much can be said of a book in which nothing new happens?

It started off well enough, but I quickly became bored. Nothing but battles, repetitive talks, and the fantasy game(which I yawned through). I don't think I would have finished this if I hadn't had to read it for school. I know I'm in the minority on this one, but it just wasn't for me.

Good writing. Bad execution. ( )
  ScribblingSprite | Aug 10, 2015 |
I read "Ender's Game" in college in an anthology--I kept thinking that perhaps it was a different "Ender's Game" than the one that will soon be or is a movie, as mine was just a "short story." Curiosity led me to pull out that anthology, and the introduction to my version does say that it's the "original piece that was the genesis for later work in the Ender series." So, while I haven't read these extended versions that are novels, I absolutely loved the original story with it's surprise ending that elicited an audible gasp from me in my cubicle. I'm not sure how the information that is revealed at the end is handled in a longer version (especially one that goes on in multiple volumes), but the original short story kicks booty.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Just started:

My son and I are reading this together. Can't say I'm loving it. I'm coolly admiring of the fact that in 1977 -- almost no personal computers, no Internet, no cordless phones (let alone cell), no email, no texting, I'm not sure we even had faxing technology yet -- Card had characters using what were basically iPads and sending texts.

But the writing is very macho. It's leaving me cold. I'm interested in finding out how the book ends, but other than that I'm not engaged.

Update on completion:

Just finished. The plot and characters became more compelling as the book went on, and the ending was well done, if a bit rushed. My son and I both want to go on and read Speaker for the Dead.

Sonny had some strong words to say about unconvincing dialogue -- at least so far as the kids were concerned, and kids make up the main cast of characters. I'm with him on that, especially the part where a girl says she doesn't feel up to a particular task because of her age. Perfectly acceptable sentiment, but how does she phrase it? "I can't do that. I don't even have a monthly period yet."

Dear Orson Scott Card: Women don't think about our periods like this! We have them (until we don't), we're aware of them, and sometimes we gripe about them, but they're not the center of our existence! Smoke a tampon and get over it!

Update, one week after finishing:

Started Speaker. Wasn't at all what we expected. Realized life is too short to torture ourselves with books we aren't enjoying. Sorry, Card fans. Just can't get into it. ( )
1 vote Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
Amazing book. This was one of those novel I'd heard about for years but had not gotten around to reading. It was engaging, imaginative, thoughtful, and at times grueling.

I liked how Card handled the science fiction elements of it, in particular the length of time it takes to travel in space. Also, the Battle Room seemed very real, and the style of "space fighting" nicely developed. Given that this novel was written in the 1980s, it had a few interesting speculations on the technology of the future: the internet and the desks (which sounded an awful lot like iPads).

Ender's story, and the hopefulness of the ending, will definitely stay with me. ( )
  louis.arata | Jul 31, 2015 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,097,878 books! | Top bar: Always visible