Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 1991)

by Orson Scott Card

Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tom Doherty Associates, LLC (1991), Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Ender's Series

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)

1980s (58)
Unread books (1,114)

English (750)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (769)
@enders_game +library ( )
  Lorem | Sep 28, 2015 |
One of the most human science fiction books in a superficial genre. There is so much I have to learn from Card's visual writing style. Simply a perfect book. I've read it several times and I will continue to read it often. The "Valentine" chapter gets me every time. ( )
  Victor_A_Davis | Sep 18, 2015 |
One of my favorites since i first read it many years ago. ( )
  tometaxu | Sep 18, 2015 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This is one of those books that I'd heard so much about in the last few years, that it was kind of impossible not to read it at some point. Also, I watched the movie and although I saw the twist coming for quite some time, I really enjoyed it.

Basically Ender's Game bottles down to Ender, a young boy (at the start he's supposed to be 6 years old - something I'm just not buying), sent of to train at Battle School to learn to fight a war against some kind of creatures.

A lot has been said about this book, the series and the author. Therefore, this is not an in depth review but rather just some of the ideas I had when reading the book. The beginning really intrigued me and I thought I'd finish it within a day, since it was so compelling. However, after one particularly unnecessary sexist comment (stating women have evolution working against them) I kind of lost interest for some time.

This might also have to do something with the fact that Ender (who's only 6 years old; did I mention that?) is such a 'fantastic boy wonder genius' (no that's no sarcasm there, of course not, I wouldn't dare, he's really that good, oh and only 6(!) years old). I've always have a problem with these superduper protagonists who apparently can't do anything wrong and seem to shit rainbows and unicorns. Ender is one of those protagonists.

The fact that he has certain anger management issues and a questionable moral when it comes to dealing with bullies is completely glanced over because he's such a good commander.

His siblings are planning to take over the world in a rather dull scheme, but the bright side is that it's the only break from the quite repetitive scenes of Battle School we get. I quite liked the computer game thing, except of course for the fact that special snowflake Ender was the only person smart enough to crack it. The armies and the strategy planning and the battles, they started to feel a bit repetitive as we follow Ender through his years on the school.

This all being said, I really wonder why ever I gave this book 3.5 stars. I always score books immediately after reading and just follow my gut feelings. Perhaps it was the holiday feelings that lingered, or perhaps it's the fact that despite I believe that this book is far from perfect I did have an enjoyable time reading it (I also liked watching the movie) and I would like to at least read the second book, Speaker for the dead. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 6, 2015 |
great story. very well written. ( )
  jodiesohl | Aug 29, 2015 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,702,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible