Ender's Game Gift Edition (Ender Quartet) by…

Ender's Game Gift Edition (Ender Quartet) (original 1985; edition 2006)

by Orson Scott Card

28,97382031 (4.35)985
Member:oldnick42
Title:Ender's Game Gift Edition (Ender Quartet)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (2006), Hardcover, 256 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, sci-fi, war

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (126)
Unread books (1,035)

English (793)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (811)
This was a good story, I couldn’t quit reading it, but found myself skimming because it was full of detailed, blow-by-blow details of mock battles and computer simulated battle games that the children were playing. The characters were well written, and I could really feel Ender’s loneliness, anguish, and depression. I think teen readers will especially like this book.

The sub plot with Ender’s brother and sister trying to infiltrate the internet and take over world politics was more than a bit ridiculous and totally unnecessary. I’m trying to visualize how this will be made into a movie, and I hope they condense the first couple hundred pages into a half-hour and leave out the siblings’ world domination all together.

I’m sure there is some sort of parable here about how we as a society are sacrificing our children for blah blah blah….
  memccauley6 | May 3, 2016 |
First book of series that I probably read when originally published and still enjoy and recommend.
  Gmomaj | Apr 27, 2016 |
Theme: Finding one's self
  Rachel_Scarborough | Apr 21, 2016 |
Fantastic plot, well written, awesome twist at the end, and a consistent page turner with pleasingly complex themes. ( )
  DPirog | Apr 14, 2016 |
I enjoyed Ender's Game. I thought it was scary in ways that aren't as much horror as fear for what governments can possibly do to people. The fact that children are being used in this way is disturbing to say the least. The characters were well developed throughout the story and I felt you got to know Ender and some of the others in a way that not all novels can accomplish. I'm not a big Sci Fi reader, but I found myself drawn in to this story and wanting to know more. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,817,674 books! | Top bar: Always visible