Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) by Orson Scott…

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) (original 1977; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:beefviper
Title:Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), Edition: Eighth Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1977)

Recently added byValdeen, bjherman, rena75, farmerbones, private library, StAugustineAcademy, Chi-Kara, EdGauci, EmmaKG
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (47)

English (880)  Spanish (9)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (901)
Ender’s Game is one of those books that I’ve been aware of for as long as I can remember, but I’ve never read it. I’ve been reading science-fiction for just about as long as I’ve been reading anything. I was raised on Star Wars and Star Trek and Logan’s Run and Planet of the Apes. Give me 70s and 80s sci-fi until the day I day and I’ll be happy as a clam (problematic bits aside, see: Logan’s Run). In the last few years, I’ve revisited a lot of the older-style science fiction that I loved when I was younger… and I’ve been disappointed.

So, Ender’s Game worried me.

Then I saw the movie when it came out back in 2013. It’s an adaptation of a much loved science fiction book – of course I saw it! And then… I was disappointed. Based on my faltering faith in old school sci-fi, Ender’s Game went on my “low priority” list.

And that was dumb.

Ender’s Game is fantastic. It was not what I expected. I prepared myself for something violent, possibly with lines of sexism and racism, and I didn’t find it. There are no graphic scenes in this book. There’s women in positions of influence and power, and there’s people from all over the world at Battle School and Command School. Ender’s Game is representative of all sorts of people, and it tells a fantastic story. This is a bildungsroman and a dystopia and a war story and a space opera and a boarding school story… it’s just REALLY good. There’s so much to it, and it’s effortless.

It’s easy to love all the characters. Bean, Elia, Petra? They’re wonderful. Ender and Valentine are perfect enigmas and I was never really show whether they were going to truly be good or evil. The twists I wanted were there with them. And the villains, like Peter, are fantastic. The science is fascinating without being over the top, and because Ender is so young, there’s no romance.

Ender’s Game circles around a little boy who, at his oldest in the heart of the story, is about twelve? But it is so accessible that I can see this being a good book for almost any age. It’s accessible for middle grade readers while still being fascinating and relatable to adults. I never felt that there were overly mature passages or that the author had included offense content. I’m actually amazed by this – so many books written 30+ years ago are riddled with problematic content… and Ender’s Game isn’t. It’s such an example of how to speak to the human spirit. Not cater to a certain age or to the privileged – anyone can read this book and enjoy it.

Well, anyone with a vague interest in science fiction. Though honestly? It’s so accessible, you don’t need to love sci-fi. You just have to be okay with outer space and some advanced tech. Honestly.

I just… I loved Ender’s Game so much, guys. I thought it would be slow, but it swept me up. I thought it would have problematic bits, but it was lovely. I thought it would feel outdated, but it’s very present. I thought it would be boring and it was amazing. Ender’s Game surpassed all my expectation and I can’t recommend it highly enough. ( )
  Morteana | May 24, 2019 |
I've read this book before, but decided to read it again, based on its having been used in several books for examples of how to control plot and reader emotions. I found this book very well written, and very engaging, despite my misgivings about how certain groups of people are seen, or portrayed as being seen in the larger cultural context, in this world setting. I found it a bit unsettling once in a great while when he shifts into a different pov (the book is written in shifting third person pov, past tense), but overall a gripping read. Coming of age too early, gifted kids dealing with bullies and with sometimes bullying adults. I did once find myself asking if a 12 year old, however much an outlier and extreme example of child prodigy/genius, could think that way, but I can believe it, when thinking of other child prodigies, like James Farmer, Jr. ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
This book holds up on reread, but I'm glad I read it for the first time as a teenager. This was the first book I read that really blew my mind. I was so in tune with the characters (rather than distracted by how young they were), and after I finished I remember sitting there in my room as it slowly got darker, just thinking, until someone called me in for dinner.

It's crazy how many books I thought about as I was reading this again. This is an important book that influenced many great books that came after it. ( )
  AngelClaw | Apr 30, 2019 |
Another overly-hyped sci-fi "classic" with slimy libertarian-esque politics.

The whole idea of Ender being somehow better than everyone because he's smarter and can reason better, and breeding him to be a Leader of Men and the indifference of the feelings of everyone else irks me.

It seems like the conflict that's set up in the book is "is it right to manipulate the life of one person for the needs of the many?", or "if the Great Man theory is correct, can we produce one of our own"? and the answer is going to be "no," because the rights and feelings of the individual matter more -- whilst totally ignoring the potential of the collective and working together and the fact that everyone has their own strengths. His distaste for the masses is palpable in the way Ender views the group and its inferiority.

Ender is like a friggin' robot, uber-rational and perfect at everything. Plus the racial stuff is weird, like how Jews are supposed to be the best strategists so people are make really hateful anti-semitic remarks about them out of jealousy -- it seems really dated, and like Card himself kinda hated Jews too. ( )
1 vote xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Just found out that Card is an utter bigot, despite living today and in the here and now. I had no idea when I picked up this book at a second hand sale. I'm glad that none of the money went to him. I won't waste another moment's time reading his words. There are too many other authors whose opinions and words I value.
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,907,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible