Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) by Orson…

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) (original 1977; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:Elizabelle
Title:Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), Edition: Eighth Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1977)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (47)

English (876)  Spanish (9)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (897)
Note to self: avoid book due to not willing to support a sexist, racist bigot who supports and encourages violence against women, LGBT and other 'races'.
  CielCat | Feb 6, 2019 |
This review is full of spoilers.

I think it's important to mention that before I read this book I saw the movie adaptation and absolutely loved it; so naturally, when I heard it was a book series first I jumped on them! I never read much science fiction before, but recently I've sort of been breaking through the mental block and exploring some, and I'm really glad I did for this book.

I thought that the idea for this book was a really interesting one. I wasn't sure if the children were somehow genetically different than the other children or if Orson Scott Card just wrote them a little older than their ages. I thought that the game, both the simulation and the battle game, was really interesting and I enjoyed reading about it.

I thought that Peter was a very frustrating character because all that we saw was a jealous and angry young boy, and I would be interested to see what made him the way that he was. I though that it was really interesting how when he and Valentine were writing, he got her to help him write the more humanitarian views, almost like he was trying to force her to teach him to be better. Or maybe that is just me wanting him not to be not all bad.

I felt terrible for Ender the whole way through the story, because he was thrust into situations far outside the range of emotional stress anyone, particularly a child, should be expected to endure. I think that Graff was a terrible man for making Ender believe it was all a game, knowing that he would live with the stigma forever, even if others treated it like a badge of honor. In my opinion, if he wanted to kill the Buggers, he should have done it himself.

I think that this was a really great novel that, while it's childish humor (what little there is) and language may appeal to younger readers, the heavy, somewhat dark plot, and almost philosophical feel to the story has something to offer readers of all ages!
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
Ender Wiggin is a brilliant six year old. In fact, he is so brilliant that the future of the human race may depend on him. He is taken from his home and whisked away to Battle School in outer space, where children like him are subjected to rigorous combination of school and military training to become commanders and pilots in a war against an alien race that humans are unable to communicate with.

While learning, training and trying to survive at the Battle School where his excellence brings him more enemies than friends, Ender is also playing complex simulator games to test his wits in simulated battle environments. Some are easy and some are difficult, but what is their significance?

Meanwhile, back on Earth Ender's equally brilliant siblings are hatching plans of their own ...

Despite the fact that Card's own political views occasionally shine through (the mocking of France, the portrayal of Russia as the evil empire while America is the benevolent hegemony), Ender's Game is still a masterpiece of science fiction and required reading for every sci-fi fan.

(Listened to the audiobook.) ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Couldn't get into the writing style...
  TM_White | Jan 5, 2019 |
Starts of a little slow and took me a while to get into it. But once things picked up i couldn't put it down. Everything they put this poor kid through... ( )
  chaoticbooklover | Dec 26, 2018 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,418,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible