Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) by Orson…

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) (original 1985; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:chickitychina
Title:Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:owned, read, storage

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)

1980s (37)
Unread books (1,035)

English (799)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (817)
Todo iba "okey" hasta el final. Ese final definitivamente lleva la historia a otro nivel. Genial.

La raza humana se encuentra en peligro, los insectores ya han atacado dos veces... Y una tercera invasión se acerca. Debido a eso todos los ejércitos del mundo se han unido, los nacimientos son controlados y los mejores niños son seleccionados para asistir a la Escuela de Batalla.

Ender -con tan sólo 6 años- es uno de ellos.

El elegido. La ultima esperanza.

En general, El Juego de Ender es, de cierta forma, como una versión infantil de Matrix... con menos mujeres y mucha menos acción. Y es que, aunque la historia está repleta de batallas, por la forma en que están escritas resultan monótonas y menos emocionantes de lo que podrían ser.

El trasfondo psicológico y el debate interno de Ender (¿es asesino como Peter o es empático como Valentine?), fue lo que me resultó más me gustó, ya que le da profundidad al personaje y suspenso a la historia. Nunca estás totalmente seguro de que Ender vas a encontrarte.

Entiendo porque para algunos esta historia puede resultar aburrida, ya que en realidad no pasa nada. Imagínate Harry Potter sin ninguna de las aventuras, y sólo leyendo como va a clases todooos los días. Si crees que puedes soportar eso, adelante, léelo. Seguro te gusta.

***

Acabo de enterarme de que Orson Scott Card es homofobico. Toda una sopresa considerando que la trama de El Juego de Ender está repleta de insinuaciones semi-homosexuales.

***

Publicado originalmente en Tras las páginas ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I was totally amazed by this when I first read it, something like 20 years ago. It is still fresh when I go back to it today ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Synopsis

Ender's entire life is a military creation. From his forbidden birth as a third child to his rigorous schooling in a prestigious military academy from the age of six, Ender eats, sleeps, and breathes for the military. But it's really all about the military's "games," designed to mimic alien combat. He is humanity's last hope against the Bugger threat, but it is unclear whether he'll be able to rise to the challenge.

Review

I read Ender's Game back in high school after my science teacher, Mr. Adams, talked about how much he liked it. I enjoyed it then, but didn't really see what all the fuss was about.

I re-read Ender's Game this past week after my husband, Logan, read it for the first time and couldn't stop talking about it. This time, it clicked. I loved it. I loved it so much, that I stayed up until one o'clock in the morning one night to finish it, which I haven't done with a book in years.

There are a number of things that contribute to Ender's Game's excellence. Orson Scott Card has a writing style that's easily accessible and never distracts from the story itself through either simplistic or purple prose. Each person Ender encounters contains a depth normally reserved for main characters. The setting is present enough for readers to immerse themselves in, but never distracting.

In other words, it's an extremely well told story.

And the story itself is haunting, mostly because of the cast of children. Only three adults are really fleshed out in the story, and of those, Ender only interacts with two. Everyone else is twelve or younger. This fact is extremely easy to forget because of the situations the children are dealing with and their adult reactions, but then they will do something that reminds you that they are in fact little kids, and the reminder is powerful. Of course, I would find myself thinking, they would handle this in this way because they are KIDS. Little kids who don't know of other ways to deal with their problems.

I also found myself feeling guilty for expecting so much of these children. So much is riding on their success that I would find myself supremely disappointed in their failures, but then I would catch myself. I remember myself at eight and I was useless. How could I expect more of these children, just because the world was in danger? They were put in different circumstances than I was, sure, but as far as mental and physical development, they were no different.

And that's what made me appreciate Colonel Graff. Back when I read the book in high school, I didn't care for him at all, but now that I'm older, I would find myself agreeing with him. Agreeing with his tactics. And because he's framed as a bit of a bad guy, that made me really start examining myself deeply. That's probably what made Ender's Game "click" for me so much more this time than last time.

Recommendation

I would recommend this book to anyone interested in military tactics, childhood development, the effects of war on a child's brain, science fiction worlds and settings, space combat, or just well-written prose.

Stay away from Ender's Game if children being placed in very distressing situations is too much for you, you don't want to see a scathing review of military tactics, or the idea of aliens turns you off.

Favorite Quotes

"We're the wicked witch. We promise gingerbread, but we eat the little bastards alive."

"There's only one thing that will make them stop hating you. And that's being so good at what you do that they can't ignore you. I told them you were the best. Now you damn well better be."

"...but the seed of doubt was there, and it stayed, and every now and then it sent out a little root. It changed everything, to have that seed growing. It made Ender listen more carefully to what people meant, instead of what they said. It made him wise."

"Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be."

This review has been cross posted to my blog, The Chronic Hobbyist. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
I wonder if, the first time I read this, I read an abridgement. There was so much more here that I'd forgotten. The interminable battle scenes. The political maneuverings of Demosthenes and Locke. The whole ending, after the big reveal.

I was bothered, this time, by one thing especially. How was it possible that none of the other children, cherry-picked for brilliance, were anywhere nearly as brilliant as Ender? How was it possible that so very few could even catch on to the 3D space of a weightless room without extensive coaching?

I also disagree with Card that his chosen cast were great actors. It was a good audio, but far from great. Volume and pitch varied. And the disc breaks were poorly edited - some were in the middle of paragraphs ferpeetsake.

Complaints aside, it's a great story. The theme about needing to empathize with the enemy to be able to be effective against them is one that more people need to understand. And the more one thinks about the book, the more one finds to think about. So, if somehow you've not gotten around to reading this yet, I do recommend you do so.

All the jabber by Card at the end was, imo, only mildly interesting. Mostly what I got out of it is that the man thinks very highly of himself.

I haven't decided whether to read the sequel or not. I'm fairly sure that, even if I do, I won't continue on in the series. Comments to help me decide are welcome, please. :) ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
A wonderful, classic prodigy coming-of-age story. ( )
  NTG_Library | Jun 5, 2016 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,824,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible