Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) by Orson…

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) (original 1985; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

Title:Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:owned, read, storage

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)

1980s (57)
Unread books (1,119)

English (755)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (774)
I had heard a lot about this book for a very long time, and as a fan of children's/YA literature and sci-fi/fantasy, this became a must-read for me. However, while I did find myself impressed, I still didn't enjoy this book as much as I expected.

To be fair, because I left for the missions field, I actually had an eight-month (or so) break in between the first seven chapters and the rest of the book. However, the fact remains that while Card shows much technical skill, which I did admire, I still found myself not particularly engrossed in the story until close to halfway through. I forced myself to keep trucking because I heard that this was an absolute classic of children's/YA literature and sci-fi/fantasy, but I'm not sure that I would have otherwise. However--I'm also glad that I did.

Some of the things that were difficult for me were the sometimes weird language/slang, which was supposed to sound colloquial but just made me disengage a bit every time. I'm also not a terribly visual person, and the repeated battles and simulations didn't necessarily fascinate me. However, Card develops solid characters--I loved Ender, Valentine, and Bean especially--and the way he brings their conflicts forward is convincing and moving. This book also touches on important themes, like family, war, genocide, leadership, religion--doesn't really get much bigger than that. I also enjoyed the Biblical language/references sprinkled throughout.

By the end of the book, I started to understand more why this has been so loved for so long. It raised a lot of important questions and deals with the consequences of them. On the other hand, while the reader is geared toward believing that the game is not just a game, the ending still caught me somewhat off-guard. I'm not necessarily sure that this was a book that gripped me enough throughout for me to pick it up and read it again. Still, I'm glad I read it, and I'm looking forward to reading Card's other books, potentially ones that might be quite different from this one. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
I've avoided this book for a long time. I'm not exactly in love with the author as a human being. That being said, I was oh so disappointed that I loved this book. Brilliant, sublime, it pulls you in and you don't want to escape. The ending was just as intriguing as the beginning, and now I find myself jonesing for the next in the series. Now, I have read some of Card's later works, the Mithermage series for example, and I have to say, he has not managed to recreate the magic of Ender. I look forward to reading Speaker for the Dead.
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
  Vinbert | Nov 22, 2015 |
I just re read this book. The last time I read it we listened to the audiobook on a family road trip about 15 years ago when I was around 12 or so. I only remembered a few parts about it (parts of the biggest spoilers). It was a good book, quite entertaining. I may venture further into the series. ( )
  JaredChristopherson | Nov 16, 2015 |
How in the world did this book receive so many 5-star ratings? It didn't even come close to that for me. How did so many of my book friends, those who I respect and admire, rate this 5 stars? I just have to go against the grain on this one. I could blame it on the fact that sci-fi just isn't my favorite genre, but I don't think that's totally fair, because I've read some sci-fi that I really did enjoy. This just wasn't one of them.

The story itself -- a young boy named Ender who is chosen to attend & train in battle school in order to command an attack against the alien "Buggers" -- was a so-so storyline. I didn't love it & didn't hate it. There were some interesting, introspective, and thought-provoking moments which I could appreciate. But I found myself bored at times while reading, specifically during the portions with Peter & Valentine (Ender's siblings). And then the fact that all these young battle trainees (in addition to Peter & Valentine) were near genius-level at age 6, 7, 8, 9.....it seemed so entirely ridiculous. I couldn't get past that. I also listened to this one on audio, and in this case I think that was a mistake. There were a variety of readers, but none of them seemed appropriate for their respective characters. And finally -- the ending was too abrupt, which I think was probably accentuated by listening on audio.

I've got the movie version waiting in my video queue. Though many may disagree with me, I figure I'll enjoy the movie better than the book. ( )
  indygo88 | Nov 3, 2015 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,132 books! | Top bar: Always visible