Ender's game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's game (original 1985; edition 1985)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:raudakind
Title:Ender's game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:New York : Tom Doherty, 1985.
Tags:novel, American literature, aliens, child soldiers, coming of age, military, science fiction, space, war

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

1980s (46)
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)

English (706)  French (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (722)
A Beautiful tale that sits on the fringe of science fiction. I just wished I had read it sooner. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |
While I still really like this book, I don't think I enjoyed it as much this time around as I did the first time I read it almost 20 years ago. Maybe it had something to do with already knowing the surprise twist at the end. I still feel it's a good book, and one that I continue to recommend to readers. The movie has helped spread its popularity, which has made it an easier sell to reluctant readers. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
My edition is by Audio Renaissance, which I don't see listed. It's not abridged.

I'm not too fond of the voice given to Graff's buddy in some of the asides. He's always chuckling which is too much. It does lend a different interpretation to those bits, though. I wonder if that was Card's voice? He did one character in this audio production.

The afterword by Card is kind of long, but has some really interesting bits:
The making of the movie: He did the original screen play for the upcoming movie. Apparently it's been a long haul because the producers kept insisting that Ender needed to be 16. I agree with Card, that's a ludicrously stupid mistake. Only a younger child would have swallowed the manipulation. A mid teen would have been too contrary.

A second point was that he couldn't get the screen play to pop until he put [b:Ender's Shadow|9532|Ender's Shadow (Shadow, #1)|Orson Scott Card|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1352781471s/9532.jpg|3145587] into the mix. Once he said it, it was obvious. This book is told from Ender's perspective. By adding 'Shadow' in - the same story from Bean's POV - the perspective changes & the story can be shown. I can wait to see it, though. Hollywood will likely screw it up, even with all of Card's caution.

Card says his books are meant to be read aloud. I've never been much for reading aloud, although a friend of mine does it quite often with his wife & says it's great. I think they have something there. While I really liked the book, this audio production really made it pop. Seriously good.

Card purposely cleaned up the language. I loved the way he did it, too. His reasoning was that his 5 year old would be reading this book soon & he didn't want him or any other child exposed to military gutter language. He left the farting & other bathroom humor in, though. Why? Because they wouldn't be real kids without it. I think he got it just right.

The basic idea of the story is kind of far out in some ways, but makes a horrid kind of sense, too. I kept getting stuck on the kids' ages, but they were geniuses & bred or picked to a purpose. I thought Ender's siblings were super, too. OK, it pushed the limits, but it really worked for me.

All in all, the themes all worked well without preaching. It was an emotional roller coaster, too. Since I already knew the ending (actually remembered the book really well) I had more time to think about some things. Can't mention them without a spoiler, but I highly recommend this book & format for everyone. Like [b:Ender's Shadow|9532|Ender's Shadow (Shadow, #1)|Orson Scott Card|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1352781471s/9532.jpg|3145587], it enhances the story & puts a new shine on it. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I found myself tearing through this book and neglecting most other responsibilities to do so. The story is oddly captivating, and the ending was a huge surprise to me.
  wyohess | Aug 15, 2014 |
The only book I have read by this author, and despite my sister telling me he's the greatest author ever, I don't feel overwhelmingly compelled to read more. The story was ok, and the underlying message was good, but I didn't really understand the setting. ( )
  krista.rutherford | Aug 10, 2014 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,249,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible