Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:IkeAV
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Ender

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)

1980s (42)
Unread books (1,467)

English (741)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (758)
I was surprised I liked this book, I'm not usually into sci-fi, but I loved this book, I couldn't finish it fast enough. It's so visual and descriptive and I think that helped so much for the plot, like you could read it and picture everything that was happening. A cautionary, some of the early copies (or certain versions) include racist words and phrases. ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
Great scifi is many things at once: a great story, philosophy, commentary on human history, psychology and more. Very few scifi novels reach that pinnacle. Enders game does.

Why not 5 stars? Despite the fact that it is great scifi, with a great story and characters, for me there still is a one flaw: it's difficult to follow the battles and this makes it just a bit too esoteric for 5 stars.

Also, on a fundamental level it's a kids book or at least should be.

Despite that, highly recommended. ( )
  dham340 | May 10, 2015 |
I picked up this book because I kept seeing it used as an example in writing books, as in, "Of course you've read Ender's Game, haven't you?" I needed to know what the fuss was about.

It's a good book, fast paced with interesting world and moral dilemmas which are beyond the characters' coping abilities. The age of Ender and his classmates bothered me throughout the story, though. It stretched my ability to suspend disbelief, because I have a 6-year-old and while people may push their children and extremely gifted children may be more focused and/or violent than the kids I know best, I could never quite believe that a society would set up a training school like the one Ender went to.

Anyhow, I've read it now, so at least I'll know what everyone is talking about! ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
Just read this book because I saw that it was being made into a movie and I wanted to read the book first and it's been on my long list for a long time. I have to say, even though I read it very quickly (a sign that I enjoyed it) and I did indeed enjoy it, it wasn't the "bang!pow! best syfy book ever written" that I had been led to believe it was going to be. While there is alot to like about this book, there were also alot of things that left me scratching my head. I gave Card the benefit of the doubt though and moved on because I really wanted to like this book. So the short list of my thoughts: the children never really impressed me as actual children. They were way too mature in many ways. I understand that they were pushed hard and abnormally intelligent, but still. It is very hard to avoid the easy conclusion that all adults, especially those in charge of education, are evil. I'm not sure that's really what Card was going for, but it's hard to avoid, too. I really liked the personal trauma that Ender experienced throughout his schooling. I felt the ending was not nearly as impressive as it could've been. Did Card have a sequel in mind all along? I don't know. But it did cross over into a new-agey mysticism that kind of turned me off. I never really "got" the whole "mind meld with the buggers" thing. Oh well. Final answer? Cautiously recommended. ( )
  twertz | Apr 23, 2015 |
Unbelievably exciting story, full of out of this world smart, clever and intelligent children, war games, and kaleidoscope of emotions. The unexpected ending made me feel that I read the book for nothing - a ruined childhood, deaths, years of training amount to nothing when the reader finds out that it was painfully unnecessary. Kind of a "shoot first, ask questions later" situation... But I guess that was the point. I felt grateful for the fact that the adults did not actually put the children at risk - so there is some humanity left in humans, which is a really good thought. I felt scared and under a lot of pressure, and happy, and cheated, as well, so I would say that constitutes an absolutely amazing book that does not leave readers indifferent. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,312,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible