Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:IkeAV
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:
Rating:*****
Tags:Ender

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (85)
Elevenses (115)

English (819)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All (837)
Read four times, cried like a small child; 12-year-old me's first literary crush was Ender Wiggin. ( )
  LaRiccia | Mar 18, 2017 |
Sigh. What to do about this book? On the one hand, reading it was kind of a formative experience for me, and definitely helped set me on my current reading trajectory (i.e. primarily genre fic). On the other, Card is a huge asshat and the book doesn't hold up all that well. So I'm torn between rating with my heart, and rating with my head. Between escapist funtimes and horribly retrograde politics. So I kinda split the difference. Cop out, I know.
  sinceyouasked | Mar 17, 2017 |
Ender's Game is a book that takes place in the future. The main character Ender Wiggin is a Third or the third child in a family, in that time only two kids were allowed without not paying for their education. Ender was allowed to be born by the government so he got a free education. One day a military officer visited his home to take him to Battle School , a school to teach kids how to fight, and I mean fighting in outer space. In Battle School there was a game the students could play called Giant's Drink, and the game was "unwinnable" because after you solve one problem, the game makes more. Ender in Battle School always won, and he only lost when he was not in command, but in Giant's Drink, he beat the part of the game the game was named after. This problem was a guessing game between two bottles, you had to choose a bottle to drink from that would not kill you, but both will always killed you, but the reset every time you die. Eventually Ender decided to push both bottles over, the giant became mad and Ender's character scratched the giant's and killed it, and technically won and beat the problem, only one to do that. When he was in charge of an army in the school, his army, named Dragon Army, never lost, before Ender the name was not used for a while, because it thought it was cursed, after the third game (practise battle in school) they only lost, but Ender broke that curse and only won, even on a battle against two armies, (or 2 on 1, the 1 being Ender's army) but when he went to another school, called Command School which is like a college with only one subject you are forced to choose, he had an hard opponent. The opponent was named Mazer Rackman, a war hero. Everything he learned there was preparing him to be tricked by the military to wipe out an entire species! The simulator at that school they made him do was giving command to an actual fleet! The finial fleet was his finial test, it was the bugger's planet (buggers is what they called the other species) and the goal was to destroy it! Once he completed the goal he found he was tricked and lead the fleets in actual battles and basically on his orders, more than a billion buggers were killed! In the end he found a cocoon, a bugger cocoon with a queen inside! The book ended with him trying to find a place were the buggers can repopulate.

I gave this book 4 stars because I really like this book, but because of the trick the military pulled on Ender, I did not give it 5 stars. My favorite part was when Ender became the commander of Dragon Army and won every battle in Battle School. My least favorite part was the last "simulator" Ender did and found out the things did in the simulator was followed out by the real fleet in that situation. I recommend this book for people that are into space fiction books and fictional combat books. Without the aliens, I think it might be possible that we might have the technology they do in the book, but will take longer to develop. Orson Scott Card did a good job, in my opinion, coming up with a book with the main character a intelligent young boy that has a "sixth sense" on winning (learns how to win quickly) that is mistreated and bullied. ( )
  NoahJ.BG3 | Mar 6, 2017 |
This is one of my absolute favorite books, highly recommended to anyone at all. It's technically sci-fi, but the story line should appeal to almost any reader. The protagonist is a kid so kids will enjoy reading this, but the story is strong enough to easily entertain adults too.

Ender's Game got me hooked on Orson Scott Card's work and the rest of the Ender/Shadow series are great too.

I can also recommend the audiobook version, specifically the 20th anniversary release edition. The voice acting was excellent, the production was top quality, and at the end you get to hear a little from Card himself as he talks about the origins of the book and it's preceding short story. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
This was an interesting fast paced novel.
I listened to the audio book which was just under 12 hours long but so much happens and you are thinking so much about the craziness of this world you don't realize how much time is passing. I probably listened to over an hour of the audio book a day.

Children are being used to prepare for the 3rd Invasion of the Bugger War. Ender has proven to be the best of the best. From the ages of 6 to 13 he lives and endures more than most of the adults of his time. As the academy helps him grow stronger to stop the invasion that is sure to happen, he begins to break down emotionally, reminding the reader/listener these are only children after all.

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a Sci-Fi book as much as this one. The only thing that still left me unsatisfied is that we have this very big build up about the plans of Ender's brother, Peter, with this help of their sister Valentine and there is no big backlash for Peter's crazy action and deceiption. I thought we would address that more, in the end it was just oh yeah and Peter was right about coming to power and his age wouldn't matter. For so much dialogue between him and Valentine I thought it would lead to more or effect Ender more in the end.

I still give this story 5 stars, a high rec to read, and will probably check out the other books in this universe. ( )
  ByChallaF | Feb 27, 2017 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,189,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible