Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 2002)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:leabharlannagra
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Starscape (2002), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 336 pages

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)

1980s (85)
Elevenses (115)
Unread books (1,064)

English (814)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All (832)
I reread this on audio. Orson Scott Card said his books are meant to be read aloud, and I can see why after listening to this edition. I really enjoyed the audio version, and it was a great way to revisit this story. ( )
  EllsbethB | Feb 5, 2017 |
Warning, rampant emotionalism follows due to egregious disappointment. Any grammatical or spelling errors are deducible solely from the presently occurring and succeeding hissy fit.

My ambivalence toward Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" is acute. The book truly had so much promise. There are many aspects of the novel that I quite enjoyed. However, in the end, it fell flat in the particulars.

I found the subplot surrounding Demosthenes and Locke hardly credible, sketchy, even anorexic. And the circumstances surrounding the third invasion were feeble and wholly untenable. The mechanics of this whole scenario were discredited by the very rules the author had previously and painstakingly established. Furthermore, our intimate knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of the characters involved made tacit or inferential communication of their genius to standard pilots ridiculous and confusing.

A bit of clear explanation would possibly have corrected the invasion, but the major subplot involving Valentine and Peter stretched the bounds of credulity to such an extent that it should have been gutted in its entirety. /End Rant ( )
  Triptweeze | Jan 29, 2017 |
The story is mostly told from the viewpoint of Ender, but occasionally from Colonel Graff, Ender’s handler or Valentine, Ender’s sister. This give Card the ability to develop Ender has a complex character, one the reader is immediately drawn too. This is not at the expense of the supporting cast, either. Card’s characters are all 3-demensional and rich, making the story exceptional. The ending is both expected and not, and the world building is delicately handled, detailed but not overwhelming. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 29, 2017 |
Awhile back a friend recommended Ender's Game. I finally read it and loved it! I was really shocked how much I liked it. It continued to surprise me throughout. I never knew which direction the story was going. I plan to read all of The First Formic War series, The Ender Quintet series, Ender's Shadow series as soon as I can. I liked to learn about the siblings and other kids. Usually it seems like I pretty much know how a story is going to go, but this all was so fresh and new to me (amazing since the story was written so long ago). Honestly I never remember reading anything that I could compare it. There were so many underlying themes. It made me think about many things in a whole different light. The relationships are pretty interesting when you think about it. I think the author was a genius. I heard his interview about this book. He started it at 16. Also they wanted him to change several things that he didn't change. I'm so glad. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,683,270 books! | Top bar: Always visible