Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 2002)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:leabharlannagra
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

1980s (29)
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)

English (719)  French (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (735)
So far it is an excellent book, throughout the book the author constantly is inside enders head and shows us how he analyses everything giving him a in human almost robotic quality yet at the same time he will show he emotion reminding you that he is still a little boy. I can seem to put it down because it challenges you mentally but still have that action feel.
  ChristianJordan | Oct 16, 2014 |
I cried at the end. I was so engrossed in the story, though, that I didn't realize I was crying until it was over. And I was on an airplane. ( )
  CassandraT | Oct 10, 2014 |
The book Ender's Game, is about a a war that happens in the future with aliens called "buggers". The main character is Andrew but he goes by the name Ender. He is at school and has his monitor is removed which makes Ender believe he is not to be chosen for Battle School. When school ends he starts walking to the bus. When all of a sudden, a boy named Stilson and his gang of buffoons surrounded him. They start making fun of him and pushing him around! Ender says something to Stilson and the other boys back off. Ender and Stilson begin to fight. Ender wins the fight with Stilson by repetitively kicking him while he was down. Ender then tells the boys, "This is what happens to people who try to hurt me." He heads to the bus to go home.

That night at dinner the I.S.S, which is the International Space Fleet, arrived to their house. Ender was afraid they found out about the fight at school. He thought he would be put out on the Belt. The Belt is where they sent children that got into trouble. His parents and the General from the I.S.S asked him why he kicked Stilson several times when he was already down. Ender said," I didn't want to have deal with any future fights."

The next thing Ender knew he was on his way to Battle School. On the way to Battle school Ender encountered another fight with Berand. Berand didn't like that the General called Ender the smartest guy in the Launch. Once at Battle school they get put into launches, which is where he learns about basic maneuvers on the battle flied. After a few weeks of learning he is then moved into an army called Salamander. Bonzo the commander of the army says that Enders is too young to fight in the army. Ender is only 7. Ender gets moved from one army to another army for up to a year.

At age 8, Ender gets put into and army called Dragon. Where he is the leader. This army had an bunch of new launchies. Ender trains the new launchies for battle games. But Ender didn't realize that the rules to the battle games had been changed. They were battling two armies against his army or they would have to battle right after they had just battled. Then he gets a note saying He has been moved from Battle school to Command school.

Command school is located at a bugger hive on a asteroid where he gets a new teacher, The Famous Mazer Rachemer. Ender now starts doing battle simulators where he is controlling a ship against an enemy.This is when the game upgrades. Now he can work with his old troop along with some of his friends. They were controlling different ships under Ender's command. Then came the final test, they were being observed as Ender commanded his team and defeated the enemy. That's when there was a loud cheering and when Ender realized what he had done. He had commanded real people to die to defeat the enemy along with destroying a whole race of species. At the end of the book Ender meets up with Valentine again and they head to the Bugger world to populate on it.

The book is really good and has great characters. I like how he describes the fights and how he brings up different parts of the story like what happens when Ender is at battle school, how Peter and Valentine are doing while Enders is away at Battle school. I like the part with the Game that Ender playswhile at Battle School, Orson Scott Card brings the game back up at the end when they are on the bugger world and he finds the Fairy playground. The part where Dragon army ( Ender's army) is put against to other armies was kind of unfair. I probably would not let younger kids read this book because of some things said in book, but other wise a good read. I like Science fiction so this book was good for me. The bad things were that he over used some words and had areas where you don't know who is talking. ( )
  EthanV.B1 | Oct 5, 2014 |
This is a great book that takes place in the future, so it's sci-fi. For all sci-fi lovers out there, this book is heaven. It's very well written and it puts you inside the book.

This author is well-known for writing really good books. I love this author because he says things in a way that helps you visualize extremely complicated designs and structures. It's an easy to understand book, but has many deeper morals and thoughts. It makes you question what's really going on in the book. ( )
  35687 | Oct 3, 2014 |
The last couple chapters were epic and took it from. 4 to 5 stars. ( )
1 vote Gonzalo8046 | Sep 29, 2014 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,414,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible