Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 2002)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:leabharlannagra
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Starscape (2002), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 336 pages

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)

1980s (34)
Unread books (1,045)

English (734)  Spanish (6)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (751)
I read this particular book the first time back in 1987. It was the first glimpse I had into a SciFi realm where the main character questioned his hard-fought journey through the entire story arc. As with every one of his novels that I have read to this point, Card provides a refreshing point/counter-point that takes place within the story's main protagonist in much the same fashion as it would happen for a real person. The maturity of the writing still holds up after all that time - and while I remembered some of the story, I had forgotten enough that it all felt fresh again in this re-reading. I couldn't recommend this book enough - simply because of the shaking of Ender's moral foundation that takes place towards the end of the novel. A definite in my top five favorites of all-time. ( )
  TommyElf | Mar 14, 2015 |
I loved it. It's a great book. It deserves its popularity and I cannot wait to (finally) see the movie!

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is a Third. He's a third child in a time when people are limited to two, but his existence was sanctioned by the government in the hopes that he would be just the little soldier they are looking for. Both of his older siblings, evil Peter and loving Valentine, were studied, but both were rejected as candidates. Now it is Ender's turn. Ender is 6.

Unlike any children we know, Ender and the other children who have been selected for the military training program are wise, brilliant, and, when it matters, ruthless. Ender must learn how to navigate his way through various educational programs with all of the odds stacked against him.

I know, that sounds a little dry. It's just that you don't need to hear from me that this book is worthwhile because it's been around since the 80s and has withstood the test of time. And I don't want to spoil anything.

I can say the pacing is great... I just tore through this one. And it's so compelling... my bath got down to room temperature before I finally acquiesced to pausing in my reading so I could get out. Ender is a wonderfully written character. But it's not just Ender -- the "side" characters are all also wonderfully written. Everyone from Peter to Valentine to Graff (teacher) to Bean (co-student) to Bonzo (another co-student), etc. etc. etc. I look forward to reading other books in the Ender Saga.

FIVE of five stars. ( )
1 vote avanders | Mar 10, 2015 |
great sci-fi. i have seen Ender’s Game listed on just about every list of greatest sci-fi stories since its publication and haven’t ever read it. part of that has been finding a copy. never ever do any of the bookstores or libraries i frequent have the book. and i have never stepped up and just bought the damned thing. finally, i found a copy online and read that. i’m glad i did.

broad and deep and epic. the story is a coming of age story of a boy and a species. but it also asked hard questions about what we believe our purpose is as humans, how and why we have power over others, what is takes to overcome fear and adversity, and what we can accomplish with compassion and an open, but focused and disciplined, mind.

i expected to not like this story. i have read some of the things that the author personally believes and wondered how a person to harbored those beliefs could write top-notch science fiction. and yet, he did. Ender’s Game is one of the best i’ve read and Card wrote it as i wish all stories were written: concisely telling the story by conveying succinct information that progresses the tale. not a lot of fluff here. and yet, what is there is enough to have us caring about the characters from the beginning. even minor ones that have only a few words written about them.

it left me feeling peaceful and buoyant. the view it takes of humanity and the challenges we face is somehow liberating and deeply thought-provoking.

PostScript
all the hooplah about Hunger Games being a ripoff is bunk. it is only vaguely similar in that some young kids are selected to go to a place where they fight. except that in Ender’s Game, the fights are NOT real. they are simulations. they are war games. no one dies or is expected to unlike in Hunger Games. no- the comparison between Battle Royale and Hunger Games is much more apt. Ender’s Game does not belong in this constellation. ( )
  keebrook | Mar 10, 2015 |
The government trains child geniuses to be soldiers and to protect against enemy attack
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 27, 2015 |
Ender's Game is a story of a superboy who saves the world by playing a video game, while his superbrother becomes ruler of said world by trolling the internet with sock-puppets. Even ignoring the novel's stance on violence and its justification of genocide, it's still hard to see why it's so appealing to the many adults who adore it.
  wissamktb | Feb 1, 2015 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,228,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible