Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 2002)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Starscape (2002), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Permanent Collection
Tags:read, fiction, science fiction

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (85)

English (824)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All (842)
Wow.

Review pending. ( )
  kephradyx | Jun 20, 2017 |
First book; Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)
This is the first book in the Ender's Series. It is a young adult series and this is military science fiction. Ender is taken to military training at age 6. He is a third. Families are not allowed to have three children unless the third is given to the government to use in the bugger wars. These children are trained by playing military games. It has won both the Nebula and Hugo awards. The book has also made it on the Modern Library 100 lists, The American Library List and NPR top 100 SF/Fantasy books. It is also mandatory reading in the military (the Marines) for training theory, leadership, and ethics . It is quite violent. Language is generally non offensive but can be strong and includes name calling and minor references to reproduction all appropriate to the novel. I found it to be entertaining but I don't feel that it offered new ideas. I think there are other books where aliens are insects and communicate by the whole rather than individual. The plot was good. Characters were well developed. It was written to reflect the time and updated by the author to make it still relevant. Rated 4.14 ( )
  Kristelh | Jun 9, 2017 |
I saw a trailer for the movie and thought, "I don't remember that." Then, I realized I didn't remember much of it all except that I didn't like this book when I read it some 15 years ago. As a parent, I think I couldn't imagine what kind of sick mind could dream up the premise. So, I read it again, this time as an older parent who had the same thought when I read The Hunger Games books.

As it turns out, I've recently learned Card really does have a sick mind but that's his climate change denial, racist stance and homophobia among other lunatic positions. I bumped this a star from my initial assessment because the science fiction is good and the writing not bad. However, I will try to remember in 15 years that I was not impressed. For now, it's not good enough to inspire me to read the sequels. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
One of the best books of all time ( )
  Graeme.Dyas | May 3, 2017 |
Man, what a powerful book. This is another book I read as a teenager, but like the other books, I completely missed out on so much that went on in it.

This book is fantastic. The thing that really got me was how Ender, as little as he was, knew that whatever he did, he had to do it big. When the bullies at school on Earth attacked him, he had to win that fight so there would be no others. When the bully attacked him on the shuttle to combat school, again he had to put an end to the fighting.

Not that I'm saying that violence is the only way to make bullies and mean people stay in check, but sometimes we have to make our stand. It's not necessarily about respect, it's about making sure that those nasty people know that we are not going to put up with their crap at all. We have to make them know that their spent energy on us is totally wasted.

This book is pretty interesting considering our current political climate. There were certain things that really jumped out at me and other things that were much more subtle. Regardless, I think Orson Scott Card might have been a little bit of a political prophet.

It's sometimes hard to remember that Ender isn't a grown up that he's just this little kid. Even by the end of the book he's still only just a teenager. I don't much care for books about teenagers or children - too much drama. While this book had it's fair share of drama, it was more actual drama than drama queen-ness. The children are not children. They are mini-adults. The only time we ever really see them being kids is when they call each other fart-eaters or the like.

Something else that hits me - do we put too much on the shoulders of our children? Do we have too many expectations for them to be mini-adults? Sometimes I think yes. Look at Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan and Drew Barrymore. When were they ever really allowed to be little girls? They were professionals - Drew was by infancy. Sure she's been able to grow up into a solid adult now, but look at all the difficulty she went through. What's the rush for our kids to be grown up? I know they all want to grow up quickly, but my mom always told me to learn some patience. Are parents telling that to their kids these days?

Anyway, this is a fabulous book that reads smoothly. The characters are well defined and thought out. A definite read for anyone who likes sci-fi. ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,098,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible