Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 2002)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Starscape (2002), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Tags:read, fiction, science fiction

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

1980s (44)
Unread books (1,286)
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)

English (723)  French (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (739)
As soon as I started reading, I couldn't stop. A lot of my friends at school said that it was hard to understand and written strangely, but I didn't have a problem with it.
The twist at the end was fantastic, and the way that the book was written kept me wanting more and more all the time.
This is one of those books where you read it and think - who on earth could have thought up all this stuff? Card did an amazing job.
To find any criticism at all I must think hard and all I can come up with is this - I was a bit annoyed by Ender's repetitive conclusions on bad situations he was placed in. It seemed like Card was trying to hard to make a point of Ender understanding, but submitting to, his superiors' plans. I also didn't like the very end of the book, though I do agree it was fitting.
Other than that small bit, I can find nothing wrong with this excellent masterpiece! This is one of my favorite books. ( )
  BrynnV | Nov 11, 2014 |
Child geniuses are developed and trained by the government to save the world. Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is one of them.

There are some objectionable things to get out of the way first of all:
#1: The author has what IMO are horrid and un-defendable views on...well, almost everything.
#2: The author (Because of? Despite?) somehow then manages to keep kids naked for half the book and there were a few scenes which stood out to me as a little creepy (there is no sexuality of any sort that I recall, however.)
#3: Almost everything about this author as a man makes my skin crawl, encompassing nearly everything he's ever said about anything, but at the end of the day, I'm reading fiction, not having lunch with the guy.

This book was very enjoyable, though like many of the genre it is heavy on concept, mood, and philosophy while being light in nuance, prose, and artistry. I'm not trashing it, just pointing out that most sci-fi books are judged almost entirely on the level of the concept, not the execution. And, in fact, books heavy on such execution are often not what many habitual readers of the genre are interested in.

That out of the way, I have to say that the concept is only of some interest, the development of the concept is what makes this book pleasurable. The author does an outstanding job of setting the mental/emotional stage of the main character and dragging him through the created world. Some characters, including the deuteragonist suffer a bit in comparison, falling into overly supportive roles without enough of their own motivations other than where expressly deigned to be antagonistic.

At the end of the day, am I looking for great art or cheap fun? Sometimes, as I found in this book, something in between is just fine, even if the author gives me the heebie-jeebies. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

There are some objectionable things to get out of the way first of all:

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
I have certain holes in my reading background. That may seem a bit odd - since I have been a pretty active reader for most of my life, and a teacher librarian in a past life. But - I grew up in an elementary without a library. I visited the public library often - but I didn't have anyone suggesting books for me - so I fell into a pretty shallow rut. By the time I got to Jr. High I was more interested in romances. My high school reading career consisted of all basal readers. I never read a novel in a class until college.

All of that is a sort of excuse for the fact that I have never read Ender's Game - until now. I have heard about this book for years and I knew I would get around to reading it sometime. I have always enjoyed science fiction - so that wasn't the reason I haven't read it.

Then about a month ago I walked out of the HS library talking to a student. I asked about his favorite book and he said that Ender's Game was the best book ever written. Pretty high praise! I went home and ordered it from Amazon immediately. When I heard it would become a movie that spurred me to read it before allowing myself to see it!

And what did I think?

I liked Ender. I used to teach elementary kids and I could see them in Ender. I felt sorry for his isolation and his destiny and his understanding of his fate. I felt sorry for the way he was manipulated and cheered as he attempted to break the rules to fit his desire. But, even in that he was a pawn.

That was what I didn't like. Maybe it is because I've read too many YA books - but I am a bit tired of the 'stupid adult' syndrome. This syndrome takes a twist in this book because the adults are more than just stupid - their seeming omnipotent knowledge just proved them even more impotent. I got tired of that. They were always the bad guys - from Ender's parents to all the 'teachers'. I am not a fan of that philosophy.

And then there was the game. But which game is really Ender's? He is involved in numerous games. And Card drew those out in minute details. Until near the end and suddenly time sped up and the final scenes of the game were over in a flash of description though they took many years to actually play out. I am not a fan of that technique either.

So - I am glad I read this. But, I would not be able to agree with that high school student's praise. It was enjoyable and thought provoking and an important book to have in your reading knowledge bin. But, not one of my favorites. ( )
  kebets | Nov 1, 2014 |
This was another book I wish I had read as a kid and not as a mostly-grown lady, although I enjoyed reading it at the DMV. The premise is pretty unwieldy, I never quite 'bought into' the world. There was also some odd evolution stuff (didn't get the gender dynamics), the whole 'nets' thing was pretty goofballs, not sure of the message it was trying to communicate about violence and warfare, and I wish Ender's speech/thoughts developed more as he aged, as I had a hard time getting a sense of time passing.
**Bonus points for the simile level being blessedly low.
  behemothing | Oct 25, 2014 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,924,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible