Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 2002)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Starscape (2002), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read, Permanent Collection
Tags:read, fiction, science fiction

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Recently added byLitaVore, antao, BookstoogeLT, BJH2016, private library, LeHolt, 7HillsSchool
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)

1980s (85)
Elevenses (117)

English (807)  Spanish (7)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All (825)
I read this originally back in the 90's and remember being blown away, especially by the twist" at the end.

Reading it again, it almost hurt.

How Ender is treated, used, etc, is just brutal. It is rationalized by the characters, but you can tell that the author isn't saying it is ok. The fights, the killings, the loneliness, the complete lack of sympathy, his awful brother, it just made me want to take him into my arms and cry for him.

Excellently written. Humanity on the cusp of extinction, yet preparing to self-destroy themselves the moment that cusp is behind them.

The reason I didn't give this 5stars is because of the ending. The rise of the Speakers of the Dead, the narrative was different enough, the subject matter so different, that I felt rather jarred reading it. Even though it made sense. It just didn't seem to fit with what came before." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I read Ender's Game for the first time about three years ago and was eager to re-read it. I am now reading it for the second time and almost half way through. It's a fantastic story! ( )
  sentryrose | Dec 4, 2016 |
With the hype, I'm not at all surprised by how much I actually liked this book - though I was surprised (in a good way) by the ending. I appreciate an author that begins and ends a plot like this in just one book as opposed to the majority of authors who would have tried to stretch this out over three or four novels. I know there are several other books in this series, but with the ending on this one, you can definitely stop reading the series after this one and be satisfied, which I can appreciate.

I will say that I found myself imagining the "kids" to be quite a few years older because it was the only way it could be believable, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who mentally altered that aspect. (I can barely imagine one child, let alone an entire group of little boys, speaking or behaving the way all of these kids did throughout the book.) Other than that minor alteration, I really enjoyed the story. It's a quick read and, like I mentioned, a bit of a surprising ending. Good writing and well-developed characters. ( )
  ItEntertainsMe | Oct 4, 2016 |
Amazing writing, I really enjoyed this book. The characters were well thought out and fully developed and there was just enough action to keep the book moving along without making it repetetive. I am looking forward to the movie being released later this year. I may also read the other books in this series now. ( )
  Brian_Lawrence | Sep 17, 2016 |
This review was originally posted on The Review CourtEnder's Game is truly one of the best written books that I've read in a while. Orson Scott Card does a brilliant job of telling Ender's story. I read some of the reviews online and I wonder if these reviewers know that this is a 30 year old book. Some of the complaints are about sexism and how most of the children in the battle school were boys. Even though I can see their point, things were different 30 years ago.

In fact, to add credit to Card's characters, next to the Ender, the next best developed character is his sister Valentine, even though she doesn't get nearly enough page time. She is really the reason that Ender makes it through a lot of the truly hard times that he faces.

Sometimes in the story it's hard to remember that these are children you're reading about. Their intelligence is off-the-charts. I wish that there was a little more explanation about how Ender and his siblings are smarter than the average children. Perhaps we'll get an explanation in a later book. I plan to read the whole series and hopefully get to Ender's Shadow.

Overall the book was great. I'm surprised that the book is only 200 pages. I read about 1 hour a night for over a week [with interruptions of parenting]. I'd recommend this book to adults and teenagers, but not children. Although most of the characters are children, the story does have some violence. ( )
  kayjenx | Sep 14, 2016 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,821,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible