Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender's Game (original 1985; edition 2002)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:_Zoe_
Title:Ender's Game
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Starscape (2002), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Recently Read
Tags:read, fiction, science fiction

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

1980s (44)
Unread books (1,064)
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)

English (725)  French (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (741)
The best in long time. ( )
  otikhonova | Dec 8, 2014 |
I mostly read this because the movie is coming up and I was thinking about teaching it to my students... before the movie came out and gave them all sorts of wrong ideas. I don'tsee how any movie could do this book justice. There's too much going on and you really have to focus in order to catch all the nuances.

I found myself mostly wondering whether or not the children in this book were sociopaths. Obviously Peter shows the signs, but in the end he seems to be the most peaceful of his siblings, while Ender, our "hero," ends up being a violent killer of multitudes. Does it matter that he was manipulated? And what does the attitude of the adults say about our society now?

This book left me with loads of moral/philosophical questions, which is (in my opinion) the sign of a really good book. On the other hand, I didn't feel that any of the characters were especially positive characters. I did feel sorry for Ender, and as a former GT student, I could somewhat identify with him, but I'm not sure I really liked him. He flip-flopped between whiny child and cold, calculating soldier so quickly that I didn't believe either was genuine and thus could not truly like him... Hence, not a full five stars for this book.

Most definitely going to try to teach this to my students, but mostly because of the possible discussions more than anything. Maybe I can get funding to take them to see the movie... ( )
  LadyLiz | Nov 25, 2014 |
As soon as I started reading, I couldn't stop. A lot of my friends at school said that it was hard to understand and written strangely, but I didn't have a problem with it.
The twist at the end was fantastic, and the way that the book was written kept me wanting more and more all the time.
This is one of those books where you read it and think - who on earth could have thought up all this stuff? Card did an amazing job.
To find any criticism at all I must think hard and all I can come up with is this - I was a bit annoyed by Ender's repetitive conclusions on bad situations he was placed in. It seemed like Card was trying to hard to make a point of Ender understanding, but submitting to, his superiors' plans. I also didn't like the very end of the book, though I do agree it was fitting.
Other than that small bit, I can find nothing wrong with this excellent masterpiece! This is one of my favorite books. ( )
  BrynnV | Nov 11, 2014 |
Child geniuses are developed and trained by the government to save the world. Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is one of them.

There are some objectionable things to get out of the way first of all:
#1: The author has what IMO are horrid and un-defendable views on...well, almost everything.
#2: The author (Because of? Despite?) somehow then manages to keep kids naked for half the book and there were a few scenes which stood out to me as a little creepy (there is no sexuality of any sort that I recall, however.)
#3: Almost everything about this author as a man makes my skin crawl, encompassing nearly everything he's ever said about anything, but at the end of the day, I'm reading fiction, not having lunch with the guy.

This book was very enjoyable, though like many of the genre it is heavy on concept, mood, and philosophy while being light in nuance, prose, and artistry. I'm not trashing it, just pointing out that most sci-fi books are judged almost entirely on the level of the concept, not the execution. And, in fact, books heavy on such execution are often not what many habitual readers of the genre are interested in.

That out of the way, I have to say that the concept is only of some interest, the development of the concept is what makes this book pleasurable. The author does an outstanding job of setting the mental/emotional stage of the main character and dragging him through the created world. Some characters, including the deuteragonist suffer a bit in comparison, falling into overly supportive roles without enough of their own motivations other than where expressly deigned to be antagonistic.

At the end of the day, am I looking for great art or cheap fun? Sometimes, as I found in this book, something in between is just fine, even if the author gives me the heebie-jeebies. ( )
  wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |

There are some objectionable things to get out of the way first of all:

wjmcomposer | Nov 5, 2014 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,369,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible