Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) by Orson…

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) (original 1985; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:ahddm
Title:Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

Recently added byrena75, HMS888, private library, SoDLB, emhull99, marneyjane, tomcat613, TheReedFamily
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Rendezvous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Armada by Ernest Cline (Mind_Booster_Noori)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Starman Jones by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Insignia by S. J. Kincaid (kaledrina)

1980s (47)

English (865)  Spanish (9)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (885)
So. Ender's Game. One of many classics of the genre that people can't believe I haven't read. Now I have, and I feel I hadn't been missing all that much. When talking it over with my dad, I described the writing style with the tactful "straight forward," knowing he'd been a fan of the series during the Eighties. He raised the back-handed compliment bar to "written for thirteen year olds turning fourteen." So, there's that.

The plot is also straight forward - but the momentum was great enough to keep me reading, despite none of the characters having much characterization. Ender himself is, while theoretically a child, written largely like a tiny, smart adult. The other children are barely sketched in with singular character traits. Alai is pretty. Petra is the girl and a sniper. Dink is almost nice. (Ender's family back home consists of two basically absent-from-the-story parents, an abusive/sociopathic brother and a sister who is too nice for the battle school, more beloved and loving than anyone else because... plot? Because she's a girl? Because reasons. The Wiggins siblings have their own plot line, which presumably is better filled out in other books of the series.) The process of raising Ender to be a perfect weapon against the Buggers makes very little logical sense, and the adults in charge remain enigmas to the readers as well as to Ender, but the plotting doesn't encourage one to slow down and question the plot points.

Had this book been written more recently, I would have tossed it aside early on when the vanishing small number of girls recruited into the battle school was explained away by "Too many centuries of evolution are working against them," because SERIOUSLY? Seriously? Women fight. Always have, especially in defense of our homes!

If I planned on giving this book a rating, it'd probably be a two star story. However, there's no way to be sure I can separate my ambivalent feelings towards this book from my negative opinion of the author, so. No rating. Now I think I'll go reread some Kameron Hurley to cleanse the palate.
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
I read this book after watching the movie. I thought the movie was interesting and I was looking forward to delving deeper into the story and into Ender's mind. I went into this book with high expectations, and I was not disappointed.

Ender's Game brings up so many philosophical questions that it is really a treat to read. You start questioning about things such as war, treatment of children, xenophobia, family bonds, the list goes on forever. A lot of topics are examined in this book. On top of the meatiness of the book is a fun, superficial excitement that comes from Ender's training and the war in general.

Putting Card's personal opinions about things outside of this book aside, you are left with a great, introspective book that is definitely a classic that needs to continue being handed down. ( )
  Borrows-N-Wants | Sep 22, 2018 |
While there's some interesting themes, it's so repetitively long and dark that I don't imagine ever wanting to reread this. I don't feel inclined to read more of the series, either. It wouldn't surprise me to find they get better, but there's too much else I'd like to get to.

To be fair, at the time it was written, it was cutting edge. But in spite of the predictions he got right (internet), it manages to feel dated (internet is so limited in scope that two child bloggers dominate the political landscape).

I couldn't buy into the idea that only prepubescent children were qualified to conduct a war. Because adults don't have it in them to commit to necessary losses. Freaking really? Like they have in every war in the history of the world? I could have gone with the one child prodigy concept, which is where I thought it was going at first. The fake-out-it's-not-fake ending felt anticlimactic, which left me feeling meh about the whole book. ( )
  jjLitke | Sep 21, 2018 |
I'm taking a bit of a different approach with this review. Partially, how do you review a book that millions of people have read and that won not only the Hugo, but also the Nebula award when it was released? I could go into the complexities of Ender Wiggin's character, and how he is molded and shaped by the adults, tricked into committing genocide. There are themes about duty, trust, perseverance and winning the game at all costs. But that's not what I want to talk about. This is the first time I have read Ender's Game - I never read it as a teenager when it was first released, and never had time (or interest) to read it until now. I think having read it now (in my late 40s) the impression I have of Ender Wiggin and the story is different than had I read it as a teenager, or even in my 20s. I enjoyed the book, and recommend it to anybody who has an interest in science fiction. It is one of the pillars of the genre and should be on any reader's list of books to have read, or to be read. There is a lot in the story that is still relevant today: the addiction the children have to playing the game, the violence they can inflict if not guided properly (or in the case of Col. Graff and Mazer Rackham, how a genocidal killer can be easily created), and the control and manipulation of facts and information (primarily from Peter and Valentine).

What I liked most about this version of the novel was the extended author note that Orson Scott Card gives at the end of the novel. It was interesting to hear what his inspirations for the story that became Ender's Game (first the short story, then the novel) were, and how he went about writing the story. Being able to hear the author's own insights into the story was a nice addition to this audiobook version of the Ender's Game, and if you are able to listen to this version I highly recommend it. ( )
  GeoffHabiger | Sep 12, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  thepageparamour | Sep 9, 2018 |
I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.
[P]ower will always end up with the sort of people who crave it....
This is the novel form of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. Please do not combine the original novella or the movie to this work, as each are uniquely different entities.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:53 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,527,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible