Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) by Orson Scott…

Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) (original 1985; edition 1994)

by Orson Scott Card

26,38572042 (4.36)879
Member:JeffV
Title:Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Science Fiction (1994), Edition: Eighth Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (1985)

1980s (68)
    Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card (Patangel)
    The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (ekissel)
    Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card (sturlington)
    sturlington: I thought the second book in the series was actually better than the first.
    Old Man's War by John Scalzi (ohdio, jlynno84)
    ohdio: This book contains a lot of action, while still maintaining a nice human element.
    Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein (5hrdrive)
    The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold (Aquila, EatSleepChuck)
    EatSleepChuck: Both main characters are kids who make up for their meek physical stature with cleverness and perception to rise up the ranks of military. Ender's Game is noticeably darker, however.
    The Scorch Trials by James Dashner (kaledrina)
    kaledrina: testing a kid for the greater good of the world
    The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Livesinthestars)
    Livesinthestars: Both fantastic books about a future in which gifted children are used without their consent to attempt to save their world.
    Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke (Death_By_Papercut)
    Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (mariah2)
    Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks (BrynDahlquis)
    BrynDahlquis: Both books are about child geniuses, though the setting and stories are quite different.
    Hot Sleep by Orson Scott Card (ostgut)
    Psion by Joan D. Vinge (SockMonkeyGirl)
    The White Mountains by John Christopher (mcenroeucsb, mcenroeucsb)
    Victory Conditions by Elizabeth Moon (jlynno84)
    Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card (Scottneumann)
    Chaos Walking: The Complete Trilogy by Patrick Ness (natzlovesyou)
    natzlovesyou: Both explore a "child"'s innocent yet perceptive take on a changing world in which so many things have gone wrong and no one can differentiate who to trust from who to blame. The worlds these authors have created send you both literally and metaphorically into outer space, to handle and ponder the implications of a world about to autodestruct and an alien species whose role in the future of humanity has or will be decisive.… (more)
    Matter of Resistance by Raymond Vogel (stellaReader)
    stellaReader: Raymond Vogel's sci-fi is a space adventure with amazing characters and a prodigal hero from Mars. A well-written must-read for all Ender's Game fans.
    The Burning of Cherry Hill by A K Butler (Amanda.Richards)
    Ocean by Warren Ellis (Death_By_Papercut)

English (698)  French (5)  Spanish (5)  Italian (3)  Latin (1)  Icelandic (1)  German (1)  All languages (714)
Though featuring child characters so unrealistic they border on being not relatable, the book's end has resonating depth with progressive themes, making it shocking that its author is such a backward-thinking asshole. ( )
  Birdo82 | Jul 26, 2014 |
Meh... Orson Scott Card's book "Ender's Game" was okay. It certainly wasn't terrible, but it wasn't all that exciting either. It felt a bit repetitive and at times very unrealistic and silly. I get this is science fiction, but these children don't react to things like children would react.... I guess it just required me to suspend too much disbelief.

The novel follows the training regimen of Ender, a 6-year-old amongst other children who are being raised to be perfect soldiers to defend the world against invading bugs. Mostly they just train by sitting around playing games.

This book definitely wasn't my cup of tea & I am not interested in reading the remainder of the quintet. ( )
  amerynth | Jul 24, 2014 |
This is a great book and has a lot of twists and turns to it. Expect the unexpected when you read this. 4Q3P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this for middle school and high school students as well as adults. I chose to read this book because it sounded interesting and my grandpa recommended it to me. KylahL
  edspicer | Jul 17, 2014 |
Entertaining. Quite a twist at the end. This was recommended by my son, Connor. Well worth the read. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
I think most readers of this novel would agree that Ender's Game is a sci-fi classic. It has been around for many decades. The movie came out a short while ago bringing the novel back into the limelight. I have not seen the movie so my review is based purely on the novel.

This novel is the story of life in a world at continual war with an alien species, referred to as buggers. In this icy-cold, militaristic world, where survival of the human race depends on winning the war, children are recruited at a young age to "Battle School" and trained to become future commanders.

The hero of this novel is Ender Wiggins, a gifted and very decent child, who is considered humanity's best hope against the buggers. Much of the novel is about Ender's struggle to succeed and fit in (during his tenure at Battle School he makes both friends and enemies), and his effort to make sense of everything he is being told and everything that is happening around him while military staff try to steer him in what they believe is the right direction. Ender has an inquisitive mind and he wants to know why he is being asked to do certain things; he wants to know what this war is all about, and most important of all, he wants to learn as much as he can about the enemy and what they want.

This novel has some interesting twists and turns (and I will not give them away). But in my opinion, it is the ending that makes this novel special. Because, through a series of events, Ender finds out everything he wants to know about the buggers and is able to see everything from their point of view. And he is heart-broken because it's too late...

The ending is both beautiful and sad. When the reader finishes reading the last few paragraphs, he/she will put this book away with a heavy heart and perhaps wonder what Ender would have done if he had seen the truth sooner. ( )
  Mustafa_O | Jul 12, 2014 |
Dieses zeitlose und weit über die Science-Fiction hinausgehende Thema spannend und unaufdringlich zu realisieren und dabei noch eine Welt zu erschaffen, die auch nach 25 Jahren weitestgehend denkbar erscheint, ist der Verdienst von Orson Scott Card. "Ender's Game" ist auch im Jahre 2009 noch ausgesprochen lesenswert.
added by st.marx | editCorona Magazin, Steffen Marx (Dec 17, 2010)

I am aware that this sounds like the synopsis of a grade Z, made-for-television, science-fiction-rip-off movie. But Mr. Card has shaped this unpromising material into an affecting novel full of surprises that seem inevitable once they are explained. The key, of course, is Ender Wiggin himself. Mr. Card never makes the mistake of patronizing or sentimentalizing his hero.

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
For Geoffrey,
Who makes me remember
How young and how old
Children can be
"I've watched through his eyes, I've listened through his ears, and I tell you he's the one."
And then a worse fear, that he was a killer, only better at it than Peter ever was; that it was this very trait that pleased the teachers.
Perhaps it's impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.
-- Valentine Wiggin
Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf. Survival first, then happiness as we can manage it.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. Twists, surprises and interesting characters elevate this novel into status as a bona fide page turner.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812550706, Mass Market Paperback)

Intense is the word for Ender's Game. Aliens have attacked Earth twice and almost destroyed the human species. To make sure humans win the next encounter, the world government has taken to breeding military geniuses -- and then training them in the arts of war... The early training, not surprisingly, takes the form of 'games'... Ender Wiggin is a genius among geniuses; he wins all the games... He is smart enough to know that time is running out. But is he smart enough to save the planet?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:43 -0400)

Child hero Ender Wiggin must fight a desperate battle against a deadly alien race if mankind is to survive.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,072 books! | Top bar: Always visible