Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card

Shadow of the Hegemon (2001)

by Orson Scott Card

Series: Ender's Game: Extended (10), Bean (2)

The Shadow series follows Bean and is a ton of fun. A worthy follow-up to Ender's Game, and a great opportunity to see what happens with the members of Ender's Jeesh, I'd recommend these books to anyone who enjoyed Ender's Game (and how can someone not like Ender's Game?). ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
a sequel to Ender's Shadow. All the Battleschool children, except Ender, are back on earth. Achilles kidnaps a bunch of them to take over the world, tries to kill Bean. Bean hooks up with Peter Wiggins, who reveals himself and the world changes. I doubt I will read any of the novels after this one. Ender's War and Ender's Shadow were engrossing, not this one. Just politics in the future"," ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I really loved the entire Hegemon series. There was something incredible about Card's ability to create a universe with such a detailed and comprehensive back story. ( )
  magerber | Feb 22, 2016 |
By the time you get to this book in the series, the whole idea of Ender has sort of gone out the window. Plus I just don't like Card on principal - he's a homophobe and hypocrite. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
In Card's last book, Ender's Shadow, Bean was born into such abject poverty and then subsequently rose up out of it against all odds to be one of Ender's most trusted companions that you forgave all of his brainy standoffishness. In Shadow of the Hegemon, our sympathies for Bean's have waned so now he just comes across as a condescending know-it-all. I didn't hate Bean. No, nothing that harsh. But he was so adept at seeing all the hidden sides of problems that the story too often annoyed me. Same with the other too-smart-for-their own-good Battle School graduates. It was like playing Trivial Pursuit and your partner reasons out all the answers before you even get the chance to struggle for the solution just a little bit. I'll admit there was the slightest enjoyment at watching Bean's mind work, but having him be right 99.99% of the time, and about EVERYTHING, feels like amateurish storytelling.

Overall, the story was still fun despite Bean being a smart-ass. And who doesn't miss the thrills of the zero-g battle room? Shadow of the Hegemon is classic Orson Scott Card at its core. I can picture him writing this novel like he was playing in a sandbox—imaginative play of military strategy, politics and the consequences of nations going to war with one another. ( )
  Daniel.Estes | Dec 22, 2014 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Falkenstern, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Charles Benjamin Card
You are always with us,
you see through all the shadows,
and we hear your strong voice
singing in our dreams
Nothing looked right in Armenia when Petra Arkanian returned home.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812565959, Mass Market Paperback)

Orson Scott Card finally explores what happened on earth after the war with the Buggers in the sixth book of his Ender series, Shadow of the Hegemon. This novel is the continuation of the story of Bean, which began with Ender's Shadow, a parallel novel to Card's Hugo and Nebula Award-winning Ender's Game.

While Ender heads off to a faraway planet, Bean and the other brilliant children who helped Ender save the earth from alien invaders have become war heroes and have finally been sent home to live with their parents. While the children try to fit back in with the family and friends they haven't known for nearly a decade, someone's worried about their safety. Peter Wiggins, Ender's brother, has foreseen that the talented children are in danger of being killed or kidnapped. His fears are quickly realized, and only Bean manages to escape. Bean knows he must save the others and protect humanity from a new evil that has arisen, an evil from his past. But just as he played second to Ender during the Bugger war, Bean must again step into the shadow of another, the one who will be Hegemon.

In Shadow of the Hegemon, Card can't help but fall back into old patterns. But while the theme is the same as in previous books--brilliant, tragic children with the fate of the human race resting on their shoulders--Shadow of the Hegemon does a wonderful job of continuing Bean's tale against a backdrop of the politics and intrigue of a fragile earth. While the novel is accessible, new readers to the series would be wise to begin with Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow. --Kathie Huddleston

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:16 -0400)

Bean and other members of Ender's Dragon Army return to Earth after their victory in the Formic War. All but Bean are soon mysteriously kidnapped; Bean turns to Ender's brother Peter for help.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible