Shadow of the Hegemon (The Shadow Saga Book…

Shadow of the Hegemon (The Shadow Saga Book 2) (original 2001; edition 2009)

by Orson Scott Card (Author)

Bean and other members of Ender's Dragon Army return to Earth after their victory in the Formic War. All but Bean are soon mysteriously kidnapped; Bean turns to Ender's brother Peter for help.
Member:mfagan
Title:Shadow of the Hegemon (The Shadow Saga Book 2)
Authors:Orson Scott Card (Author)
Info:Tor Books (2009), Edition: 1st, 366 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card (2001)

Recently added byezkaton999, curtismchale, private library, tyry95, GeekLair, TangledPages, hitaltkey

Aside from a few chapters, that was a slog. ( )
  AngelClaw | Oct 18, 2019 |
Shadow of the Hegemon explains the political situation in Ender Universe after the end of the Formic War (the war against the buggers). This is nice, since we did not learn too much about this in the previous books, either in the original Ender's Game series or Ender's Shadow.

It does so mostly by following the lives of the two most prominent battle school cadets that have remained on Earth - Bean and Petra Arkanian, of Ender's brother Peter and of Bean's old nemesis, the psychopath Achilles. Yes, these brilliant children are still at the forefront of the global socio-political struggle for power and their personal fates are deeply interconnected with the new arrangement of power following the bugger wars.

Now, this does stretch credulity a little. If it does seem plausible that countries would value full battle school grads like Bean and Petra enough to kidnap them and use them as strategic planners, it beggars belief that they would allow an established psycho-kid battle school dropout, serial murderer Achilles take full command of their military. Really, are all adult military commanders and political leaders in Ender Universe so inept that a single teenager can manipulate them into letting him run their full strategic command? Even when it is completely obvious that the military strategy he employs is completely wrong and leads to defeat? Even when he betrays them and moves to a rival country, again and again? Really, Card, come on. I know he needed a bad guy but all this Achilles business is nonsense.

Otherwise, this is quite a fun read. It's a bit of Tom Clancy in Ender Universe, but without all the military equipment fetishism and with more familiar, likable characters that we know from previous books at the center of the global struggle, which makes the whole strategic maneuvering more personal to the reader. ( )
  matija2019 | Jan 8, 2019 |
Apparently I *have* read this. Will have to reread since it's been >10 years since I did so....
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
The Shadow series follows Bean and is a ton of fun. A worthy follow-up to Ender's Game, and a great opportunity to see what happens with the members of Ender's Jeesh, I'd recommend these books to anyone who enjoyed Ender's Game (and how can someone not like Ender's Game?). ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
a sequel to Ender's Shadow. All the Battleschool children, except Ender, are back on earth. Achilles kidnaps a bunch of them to take over the world, tries to kill Bean. Bean hooks up with Peter Wiggins, who reveals himself and the world changes. I doubt I will read any of the novels after this one. Ender's War and Ender's Shadow were engrossing, not this one. Just politics in the future"," ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Falkenstern, LisaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Charles Benjamin Card
You are always with us,
you see through all the shadows,
and we hear your strong voice
singing in our dreams
Nothing looked right in Armenia when Petra Arkanian returned home.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,146,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible