Children of the Mind (Ender, Book 4) (Ender…

Children of the Mind (Ender, Book 4) (Ender Quartet) (original 1996; edition 2002)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:martinexd007
Title:Children of the Mind (Ender, Book 4) (Ender Quartet)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Books (2002), Paperback, 352 pages

Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card (1996)

English (57)  French (2)  All (59)
My first read through of this book was pretty good; it's Ender Wiggin's story and has a large number of interesting characters.

The second time I read this book, I realized I liked it even more than the first time. The book is almost purely existential in nature, with of course a solid plot to make it interesting.

The book isn't flawless, some of the characters become so frustrating at times that it almost becomes hard to remember that you actually like them. Also, the way all the different characters waxed introspective was unrealistic and the 'voices' they thought in were nearly indistinguishable, it would have been nice if the inner turmoil of the different characters had been put into more distinct stylings so that their turmoil was truly their own.

Over all this was an excellent read and makes me look forward to the follow-up which is supposed to be coming some day. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
Debating if i will read the shadow saga or give Card a rest. I agree with many of the reviews about the preachiness and absence of plausibility in Janes powers and Quara's bitchfests. ( )
  Cal_Clapp | Sep 5, 2016 |
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  Lunapilot | Jul 19, 2016 |
seemed a bit of a weak conclusion... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I finally read the conclusion of the Ender Quartet several years after finishing Xenocide. This was about 15 years ago. Children of the Mind was so forgettable that I couldn't tell you much of what happened. The Lusitania Fleet harboring the M.D. Device finally arrived to carry out their intended destruction, but I can't recall what happened next. Or before. Or why it mattered. Lemme check...(checks Wikipedia)... Weird. What an unnecessary story. I can't say I understand it even now.

If someone recommends that you read the Ender books, just read the first two and stop after that. ( )
1 vote Daniel.Estes | Feb 10, 2016 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chambon, Jean-MarcTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Salwowski, MarkCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Barbara Bova, whose toughness, wisdom and empathy make her a great agent and an even better friend
Si Wang-mu stepped forward.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812522397, Mass Market Paperback)

Children of the Mind, fourth in the Ender series, is the conclusion of the story begun in the third book, Xenocide. The author unravels Ender's life and reweaves the threads into unexpected new patterns, including an apparent reincarnation of his threatening older brother, Peter, not to mention another "sister" Valentine. Multiple storylines entwine, as the threat of the Lusitania-bound fleet looms ever nearer. The self-aware computer, Jane, who has always been more than she seemed, faces death at human hands even as she approaches godhood. At the same time, the characters hurry to investigate the origins of the descolada virus before they lose their ability to travel instantaneously between the stars. There is plenty of action and romance to season the text's analyses of Japanese culture and the flux and ebb of civilizations. But does the author really mean to imply that Ender's wife literally bores him to death? --Brooks Peck

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:41 -0400)

The planet Lusitania is threatened with destruction by Starways Congress. With the help of the computer intelligence Jane, Ender must save the planet and its three species.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,522,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible