Shadow of the Giant (Ender, Book 8)…

Shadow of the Giant (Ender, Book 8) (Ender's Shadow) (edition 2006)

by Orson Scott Card

Member:mister.x
Title:Shadow of the Giant (Ender, Book 8) (Ender's Shadow)
Authors:Orson Scott Card
Info:Tor Science Fiction (2006), Edition: 1st, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card

English (32)  French (1)  All languages (33)
soooo want the 6th one tying stuff up with this and children of the mind ( )
  Gobbers | Sep 28, 2014 |
Quick read. Typical Ender book. I do wish I knew what happened to Bean. Is a cure found? What about his kids.

The series that follows Ender is more thought provoking and engaging to me. This series following Bean is more strategical and war oriented. It does suck me in and keep me reading though. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Brillante conclusión en la Tierra de la Saga de las Sombras de Ender, sin olvidarse de Ender y dejando abierto todo para continuar con mas historias “paralelas” o” futuras” o “relativistas”
Lo único que me da pena es Bean (pero la saga aún no ha terminado).
  ALDRINDSL | Nov 16, 2013 |
So, as I started reading this, I thought, Huh. It seems like something’s happened between the end of the last book and now. Then I kept reading and wasn’t bothered by it any more. Just looked at my TBR list and…there’s a book that comes in between! That aside, I did enjoy this more than Shadow of the Hegemon. [Aug. 2011] ( )
  maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |

2.5 stars. Oh, jeesh, where do I even begin? Okay, well I love [b:Ender's Game|375802|Ender's Game (Ender's Saga, #1)|Orson Scott Card|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1316636769s/375802.jpg|2422333] and [b:Ender's Shadow|9532|Ender's Shadow (Shadow, #1)|Orson Scott Card|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1316131738s/9532.jpg|3145587]. No one really annoyed me in those two books. I can't speak to the remainder of Ender's series because I got so bored listening to [b:Speaker for the Dead|7967|Speaker for the Dead (Ender's Saga, #2)|Orson Scott Card|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1295660894s/7967.jpg|2327777] that I set is aside for a bit. I've finished off Bean's series with this one and phew, thank goodness it is over because I don't think I could've read/listened to another one. Why do I keep doing it? Good question. Answer: Because I do enjoy OSC's writing when his characters aren't talking about religion, military strategy, or BABIESBABIESBABIES. And the readers for his books are absolutely fabulous. I wish I could just have them walk around with me and narrate my life. Then again, I'd probably be lulled to sleep a little too much. As you can see by the graph, my annoyances hugely increased from Book 1 to Book 3. (I listened to them out of order) It was only downhill from there.

NOTE: The 10% I don't find annoying don't really make appearances in this series--Ender and Valentine. ( )
  FlanneryAC | Mar 31, 2013 |

Orson Scott Cardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mousnier-Lompré, ArnaudTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Warner, BobCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Ed and Kay McVey,
who are saving the world
one kindness at a time.
Han Tzu waited until the armored car was completely out of sight before he ventured out into the bicycle-and-pedestrian-packed street.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0812571398, Mass Market Paperback)

Bean's past was a battle just to survive. He first appeared on the streets of Rotterdam, a tiny child with a mind leagues beyond anyone else. He knew he could not survive through strength; he used his tactical genius to gain acceptance into a children's gang, and then to help make that gang a template for success for all the others. He civilized them, and lived to grow older. Then he was discovered by the recruiters for the Battle School.

For Earth was at war -- a terrible war with an inscrutable alien enemy. A war that humanity was near to losing. But the long distances of interstellar space has given hope to the defenders of Earth -- they had time to train military geniuses up from childhood, forging them into an irresistible force in the high-orbital facility called the Battle School. That story is told in two books, the beloved classic Ender's Game, and its parallel, Ender's Shadow.

Bean was the smallest student at the Battle School, but he became Ender Wiggins' right hand. Since then he has grown to be a power on Earth. He served the Hegemon as strategist and general in the terrible wars that followed Ender's defeat of the alien empire attacking Earth. Now he and his wife Petra yearn for a safe place to build a family -- something he has never known -- but there is nowhere on Earth that does not harbor his enemies -- old enemies from the days in Ender's Jeesh, new enemies from the wars on Earth. To find security, Bean and Petra must once again follow in Ender's footsteps. They must leave Earth behind, in the control of the Hegemon, and look to the stars.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:10 -0400)

"Bean's past was a battle just to survive. He first appeared on the streets of Rotterdam, a tiny child with a mind leagues beyond anyone else's. He knew he could not survive through strength; he used his tactical genius to gain acceptance into a children's gang and then to help make that gang a template for success for all the others. He civilized them, and lived to grow older. Then he was discovered by the recruiters for the Battle School." "For Earth was at war - a terrible war with an inscrutable alien enemy. A war that humanity was near losing. But the long distances of interstellar space have given hope to the defenders of Earth - they had time to train military geniuses up from childhood, forging them into an irresistible force in the high-orbital facility called the Battle School". "Bean was the smallest student at the Battle School, but he became Ender Wiggin's right hand. Since then he has grown to be a power on Earth. He served the Hegemon as strategist and general in the terrible wars that followed Ender's defeat of the alien empire attacking Earth. Now he and his wife, Petra, yearn for a safe place to build a family - something he has never known - but there is nowhere on Earth that does not harbor his enemies: old enemies from the days in Ender's Jeesh, new enemies from the wars on Earth. To find security, Bean and Petra must once again follow in Ender's footsteps. They must leave Earth behind, in the control of Hegemon, and look to the stars."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible