Farewell To The East End: The Last Days of…

Farewell To The East End: The Last Days of the East End Midwives (edition 2009)

by JENNIFER WORTH

198659,376 (4.15)23
Member:csking5000
Title:Farewell To The East End: The Last Days of the East End Midwives
Authors:JENNIFER WORTH
Info:PHOENIX (2009), Paperback
Rating:***

Farewell to the East End by Jennifer Worth

This is the last of the three books in Jennifer Worth's trilogy about her life as a midwife in London's East End, and this book is the weakest of the three. While some of the stories from the television series are here, there is way too much technical jargon, as well as expository chapters about the conditions of London's East End, medical practices, etc. for this to be a truly enjoyable read.

I did, however, like reading the real story of Chummy's romance with the policeman and the further stories of Sister Monica Joan, and as such it's a good companion to the televised series. ( )
  etxgardener | Jun 5, 2014 |
This last in the series reads more like essays on people's lives rather than a novel, but that didn't detract from it's wonderfulness one iota. I wish Jennifer Worth hadn't died in 2011 as I would have loved to read more....especially about the married man she alluded to loving but not being able to have. ( )
  limamikealpha | Jun 5, 2014 |
This is a less linear account of Jennifer's days as a midwife but the book is full of anecdotes about various people she describes so well I was interested in all of them. I particularly loved the end where she explains what happened to everyone and ultimately to Poplar. I thoroughly enjoyed her memoirs - she is infinitely wise and is an excellent storyteller. I will miss these dearly. If you are whatsoever interested in women's lives, pick up these books. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
The third of Jennifer Worth's memoirs of her times as a nurse/midwife in London's 1950's East End.. Her books have been the basis of the wildly popular series "Call the Midwife." Her very personal stories about her friends and their patients are interspersed with discourses on poverty, birth control, abortion, and tuberculosis. I found the personal stories far more successful and grew to love Trixie, Cynthia, Chummy and Sister Monica Joan and the other nuns of St. Nonantus House. ( )
  michigantrumpet | Apr 25, 2013 |
In 1855 Queen Victoria wrote to her daughter Vicky, the Crown Princess of Prussia, who was expecting a baby:

What you say about the pride of giving life to an immortal soul is very fine, but I own I cannot enter into all that. I think very much more of our being like a cow or a dog at such moments, when our poor nature becomes so very animal and unecstatic.
Dedicated to Cynthia for a lifetime of friendship
Someone once said that youth is wasted on the young.

The Call the midwife trilogy is comprised of Call the midwife (not included here, c2002), Shadows of the workhouse (not included here, c2005), and Farewell to the East End (this book, c2009). Together, this series chronicles Jennifer Worth's career as a midwife from start to finish, from her arrival in the war-scarred Docklands as a wide-eyed trainee, to the demolition of the tenements and subsequent closure of Nonnatus House. It provides a fascinating snapshot of social history, documenting the East End in the days when there was a real sense of community, when times were tough but there was plenty of good humour and neighbourly support to help the inhabitants through the harsh economic climate. The book also enables readers to follow Jennifer's personal story, as she discovers the amazing resilience of a population still bearing the scars of war, and the vibrant community of nuns with whom she lives and who teach her the skills of midwifery. In stories that are funny, disturbing and moving in equal measure, we meet prostitutes and abortionists, bigamists and mischievous nuns, and see Jennifer earn the confidence of people whose lives are often stranger than fiction.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible