The Fastest Game on Two Feet: And Other…

The Fastest Game on Two Feet: And Other Poems About How Sports Began

by Alice Low

Alice Low, the author and John O'Brien the illustrator do a great job in telling the history of sports through poem and pictures. The collaboration between the poems and the illustrations are spot on. This book would serve well in an English, Art or even History class. I appreciate that every sport that is mentioned, the author gives a synopsis of the sport before the poetry. At the end of the book the author provides a note and other anecdotes that give the reader more cool facts that should entice more research on different sports related topics. ( )
  jpetit1 | Jan 19, 2016 |
The Fastest Game on Two Feet is a poetry book about the history of sports. Every major sport known to man is mentioned in this book. Before each poem, the author gives a history and introduction to the sport. All of the poems were creatively written and enjoyable. This book would be enjoyable to boys to read because the book features male-dominated sports. ( )
  kbartholomew1 | Feb 19, 2015 |
I loved reading this book because it was so interesting. The first reason why I loved the book was because of the plot. The book was about how each sport was founded. I loved how I learned about how various sports came about and how people played the sports when they were first created. For example, running was initially for a survival skill and self defense in order to run away from animals. I had no idea how each sport was founded so I was very engaged in the book and wanted to read more. It was also nice that before reading each poem, I was given background knowledge about the sport before I read the poem. The second reason why I loved the book was because of the illustrations. The illustrations showed how the sports were initially played when they were founded. For example, the illustration showed skis with animal bones as well as poles as animal bones. The main message of the book was to teach readers how various sports were founded and played. ( )
  Germuth | Oct 25, 2014 |
this book is about different poems that about sports. It gives you the historical background of how each sport started out back in the day. For example, bowling was part of a religious ritual. Skiing was done by our ancestors sticking skulls and bones of animals to their feet. Swimming was done by people watching animals swim because if not they would drown. The soccer ball was actually a skull instead of a ball being used. I think this book would be best used in from 2-5 grade. You are learning poems, sports, and history all in one book. Maybe each student could pick our their favorite one and discuss why it is. ( )
  emilyann93 | Sep 17, 2014 |
This would be a very cute book fora physical education teacher to read to her younger students before they start playing and learning about organized sports. There are plenty of sports identified in this book, and before each sport, the teacher could read a poem to further catch the interest of the child. I really liked how this book put history into the poems of this book instead of just poems about playing sports; it really gives the book a whole different approachable side. ( )
  kloupe1 | Sep 12, 2011 |
This is a fine idea for a book, and Low’s light-hearted poems are both informative and amusing.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0823419053, Hardcover)

Have you ever wondered how your favorite sport began? Basketball got its start when a physical education instructor invented a new game for bored students. The original soccer ball might have been a skull! The history of other sports is just as surprising--bowling was part of an early religious ritual; lacrosse games used to stretch for miles and last for days; and the king of France once outlawed tennis because it was a gambling game!

Alice Low's witty poems, vividly ilustrated by John O'Brien's uproarious cartoons, hit a true home run for readers.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:37 -0400)

Sports have origins in all kinds of activities, such as playing with sticks and stones, running from threats, and taking part in religious ceremonies. Using conjecture and historical facts, this book of poetry and prose relates how nineteen sports got their start and grew into the games we know today.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,196,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible