Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen

Wizard's Hall (1991)

by Jane Yolen

A rather fluffy little story, with a little bit of playing with story stereotypes but overall rather simple, even simplistic. I like the names thing; Dr Mo is...very convenient. Henry's "special magic" is weird, though admittedly it might be something that is known but not to first-year students. Things flow along a bit too conveniently (including convenient overhearings); Henry never actually makes a choice or takes an action until practically the end, just follows various instructions. Cute, I'm glad I read it, I don't see any reason to ever reread. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 28, 2018 |
I was completely charmed by this book. I know part of this was because I was a bit tired and jaded from some of the rather heavy tomes [physically and philosophically] I've gone through in the past couple of months.

This was just a breath of fresh, simple air after the heavy perfumes and extremely complicated smells" of other books. A simple draught of clean spring water after a surfeit of wine, beer, ale and sparkling juices.

Henry is a poor schlup who just tries, and succeeds. No epic quests, no hidden evil cousin/father/son/mother/aunt, etc, etc hidden in the wings to pop out and extend the story.

A simplistic story about a boy that made me grin. I don't know if I'll ever read this again, but I am glad I came across this little gem." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
An imaginative tale of on odd school for magic, in which the greatest power comes from understanding one's true nature. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Lovely quick read. Perfect bedtime story. I loved the phrase repeated throughout, "Yes, prickly, I'd say. I'll have to take the squishy part on faith." I appreciated the encouragement to "try". Good for younger readers. ( )
  njcur | Sep 17, 2015 |
A fairly humdrum fantasy, written, to be fair, for nine-year-olds. Lives will be none the poorer for giving this a miss. Also, the title should really be 'Wizards' Hall'. Well, it *should*! ( )
1 vote phoebesmum | Jan 7, 2012 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schart Hyman, TrinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bonnie, who wanted this book from the beginning.
And for Heidi, who reads them all.
Thornmallow was a wizard, only the most minor of wizards.

Poor Henry. It’s not enough that his mother has sent him away from home to learn magic. It’s not enough that everyone at his new school calls him Thornmallow because he’s “prickly on the outside, squishy within.” It’s not enough that the only talent he shows at Wizard’s Hall is an ability to make messes of even the simplest spells. Now, when Wizard’s Hall is threatened by a cruel sorcerer’s fearsome beast, it is up to Henry--er, Thornmallow--to figure out how to save not only his new friends but also the entire school for wizards.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0152020853, Paperback)

Henry is a small fellow, thin as a reed, without much talent for magic. But he tries. He really, really tries. And, as it turns out, that's the most important thing. Upon entering Wizard's Hall, the school for young wizards in training, Henry is promptly given a new name: Thornmallow--prickly on the outside, squishy within. And although his curses tend to "splatter or dribble around the edges," and he's not quite mastered his changes or spells, and he simply cannot chant on the dominant, Thornmallow is bound and determined to do the best he can. As the 113th student to arrive at Wizard's Hall, he quickly learns that he has a mysterious extra burden of responsibility that no one will explain. The horrifying secret? The future of Wizard's Hall depends on him, regardless of his magical bumbling.

Prolific, award-winning author Jane Yolen has a delightfully witty and dynamic way with words. This touching, funny, and exciting tale reminds maladroit magicians and mortals alike of the wisdom of an old adage: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Yolen's other magical adventures include Passager and The Dragon's Boy. (Ages 8 to 12) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:19 -0400)

A young apprentice wizard saves the wizard's training hall by trusting and believing in himself.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,692,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible