Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen

Wizard's Hall (original 1991; edition 1999)

by Jane Yolen (Author)

A young apprentice wizard saves the wizard's training hall by trusting and believing in himself.
Member:Corinne57
Title:Wizard's Hall
Authors:Jane Yolen (Author)
Info:Magic Carpet Books (1999), Edition: 1, 144 pages

Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen (1991)

Full Review

Publish in 1991, six years before the first Harry Potter book; sadly, Wizard's Hall and Earthsea overshadow.
A short read that only took a day. The beginning and ending went too quickly and there could been more. Perhaps a series of books.
The world building is weak, and the magic system is interesting but, not well explain. Better then waving twigs around and shouting pseudo-Latin words. The character development is good. mainly focusing on Thormallow.

Enjoyable read. Not as great as Earthsea and a little bit better then Harry Potter. For me both will never be Earthsea standards. ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Full Review

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
This was light and fun. Nothing super exciting, but endearing for what it is. ( )
  livingtech | Mar 18, 2020 |
A rather fluffy little story, with a little bit of playing with story stereotypes but overall rather simple, even simplistic. I like the names thing; Dr Mo is...very convenient. Henry's "special magic" is weird, though admittedly it might be something that is known but not to first-year students. Things flow along a bit too conveniently (including convenient overhearings); Henry never actually makes a choice or takes an action until practically the end, just follows various instructions. Cute, I'm glad I read it, I don't see any reason to ever reread. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | May 28, 2018 |
I was completely charmed by this book. I know part of this was because I was a bit tired and jaded from some of the rather heavy tomes [physically and philosophically] I've gone through in the past couple of months.

This was just a breath of fresh, simple air after the heavy perfumes and extremely complicated smells" of other books. A simple draught of clean spring water after a surfeit of wine, beer, ale and sparkling juices.

Henry is a poor schlup who just tries, and succeeds. No epic quests, no hidden evil cousin/father/son/mother/aunt, etc, etc hidden in the wings to pop out and extend the story.

A simplistic story about a boy that made me grin. I don't know if I'll ever read this again, but I am glad I came across this little gem." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Jane Yolenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schart Hyman, TrinaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Bonnie, who wanted this book from the beginning.
And for Heidi, who reads them all.
Thornmallow was a wizard, only the most minor of wizards.

Poor Henry. It’s not enough that his mother has sent him away from home to learn magic. It’s not enough that everyone at his new school calls him Thornmallow because he’s “prickly on the outside, squishy within.” It’s not enough that the only talent he shows at Wizard’s Hall is an ability to make messes of even the simplest spells. Now, when Wizard’s Hall is threatened by a cruel sorcerer’s fearsome beast, it is up to Henry--er, Thornmallow--to figure out how to save not only his new friends but also the entire school for wizards.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,783,508 books! | Top bar: Always visible