Child of the May by Theresa Tomlinson

Child of the May

by Theresa Tomlinson

Oddly enough, Child of the May seems more closely related to the Robin Hood ballads than the first book, The Forestwife -- at least, I recognised the influence of Robin Hood and the Potter, and a couple of others, as I was reading it. I didn't like it as much as the first book, though. It's less realistic in details, and Magda isn't really a very interesting character -- whiny and very immature.

I liked the plot-thread of Alan the boy with leprosy. That was interesting, and yet not much was really done with him.

This book can definitely only really exist within a trilogy. It's nothing really special or groundbreaking, and I just didn't really find it interesting. It's short and easy to read, and probably would appeal to young teenage girls, but it's not very satisfying, really.
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I did not find this sequel to "The Forestwife" to be as good as the original. I just didn't identify with Madga, the main character (daughter of Little John and ward of Marion), as much as I'd identified with Marion. They are still battling some of the same issues as the first book, but with different characters coming to the fore. ( )
  the1butterfly | Oct 1, 2008 |
It was Autumn.

When Magda was just a baby, her mother was murdered, and her father John brought her to live in the woods with the Forestwife. Here she learned to heal sick people and became skillful in archery and fighting. Now Magda wants a life of adventure beyond the forest. When word comes that Lady Matilda and her daughter Isabelle are being held captive by the evil Sheriff of Nottingham, Magda is ready. This is the chance of a lifetime to join forces with her father John, and the mysterious Robin Hood and his band of outlaws. Little does Magda know that this is also a chance to come face to face with the scoundrel who murdered her mother.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:25 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Magda helps Robin Hood's men rescue Lady Matilda and her daughter Isabelle from the clutches of the Sheriff of Nothingham's evil henchman.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,629,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible