Redwork by Michael Bedard

Redwork (1990)

by Michael Bedard

This was immediately gripping - the image of Allison collecting the cockroaches to show the landlord is most unsettling. When Cass and his mother move the a new apartment, he notices that the entire neighbourhood seems afraid of his building, or rather his reclusive landlord. With his mother buried in a thesis on Blake, Cass takes on a part time job, makes a friend, and get pulled deeper and deeper and into the mysteries of Mr. A Magus
I ripped through this, eager to absorb more of the atmosphere. I especially enjoyed the scenes at the old cinema, and the different audiences that showed up for the different films.
I wished for a stronger resolution to the subplot involving the gang of boys from the park, that's what stopped me from giving it five stars.
Reading about Mr. Magus gave me that same feeling I had watching The Madness of King George - for a moment, I felt like I understood what it was like to be old, and not quite know how it happened.
I'd pas this on to kids interested in mysteries, sinister atmosphere, or needing to recover after reading The Pigman! The fantasy aspects are minimal, and I wouldn't sell it as such. ( )
  francescadefreitas | Nov 10, 2008 |
This book is the reason I knew what alchemy was before Harry Potter. I picked it up for a dollar on a Wal-Mart sale table and have never regretted it. In fact it is one of my favorite books.
  ladyrelaynie | May 13, 2008 |
True it is, without falsehood, certain and most true.
That which is above is like that which is below,
and that which is below is like that which is above,
to accomplish the miracles of the one thing.

The Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus
This one's for you, Dad
Roaches. There must have been fifty of them crawling around in the bottom of the empty jam jar, a tangled mass of legs and feelers.

Teenage Cass feels an inescapable psychic link with his incredibly old landlord, Mr. Magnus, whose secret experiments in the garage reflect his preoccupation with finding the wholeness of life.

Teenage Cass feels an inescapable psychic link with his incredibly old landlord Mr. Magus, whose secret experiments in the garage reflect his preoccupation with finding the wholeness of life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,661,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible