Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball…

Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Julianne Moore, LeUyen Pham (Illustrator)

Member:danierenae
Title:Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully
Authors:Julianne Moore
Other authors:LeUyen Pham (Illustrator)
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2009), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 40 pages
Tags:picture book, freckleface series, julianne moore, celebrity author, dodgeball, sports, gingers, red heads, fear, anxiety, bullies, school, imagination, friendship, conflict resolution, RECOMMEND, bravery, bullying, realistic picture book, realistic, feelings, emotions

Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully by Julianne Moore (2009)

I picked Freckleface Strawberry and the Dodgeball Bully up at the half off sale day at Goodwill. (You don't have time to read books at a store, especially on that day.) I thought the drawings were cute and that it would go well with a bullying unit or if the subject should arise in my future classroom. Today I sat down and read the books. The drawings continued to be cute and the writing wasn't terrible. I liked that the book made going to school and going to before school programs sound like fun and not like something a child should dread. Freckleface Strawberry has a few problems that kids can identify with. Some kids are scared and hate dodgeball, something I believe they shouldn't be forced into playing. She also is afraid of a kid because the kid is a "bully" and throws too hard. (I'm not entirely sure if that qualifies him as a bully or an over zealous boy. We all know those boys who throw too hard and they don't do it to be mean.)

However, Freckleface is forced to confront her fears, and by confront I mean cower on the ground. She finds out that it doesn't hurt that much, which is slightly contradictory to the fact that the kids who do play are scared of him when they get out and this is repeated every day they play. From that we'd take it that he always throws hard, unless he took pity on poor Freckleface Strawberry.

Overall, the drawings are cute and it might be a book children enjoy. While I say let kids enjoy it, I also say that it doesn't really have a teachable plot or lesson hidden within. It's slightly disappointing that she didn't have a real chance to address the bully and to stand up for herself. ( )
  carissaburks | Sep 9, 2014 |
A little girl with freckles wants to play dodgeball but is scared because of the bully that throws the ball are hard at kids.

Ages 4-6
Source: Pierce College Library ( )
  larisharenee | Mar 13, 2014 |
This book is about a freckled face girl who is scared to play dodge ball because of the dodge ball bully who always throws the ball really hard at the other students. I would use this book in my classroom because it is another form of bullying and also shows how you can deal with bullies and be friends with them in the end. This book is suitable for grades 1 and 2.
  Kitrina | Oct 15, 2013 |
For Bart, who loves to play ball
J.M.

To little Maya Bee
--L.P.
Freckleface Strawberry goes to school.

Windy Pants Patrick who likes to throw the dodgeball really hard changes his ways after meeting Freckleface Stawberry's imaginary monster.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,330,861 books! | Top bar: Always visible