The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by…

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (1998)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Series: The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency (1)

9,927289286 (3.71)2 / 630
Recently added byprivate library, jjvors, angelista, julie.bonjour, mccbookdrive, countrylife, Pamelar5284, JockeE
    The Coroner's Lunch by Colin Cotterill (heidialice)
    Still Life by Louise Penny (bell7)
    bell7: Readers who enjoy Mma Ramotswe's understanding of people may also appreciate Inspector Gamache's methods and insistence that listening to and understanding people solve cases.
    Baking Cakes in Kigali by Gaile Parkin (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Although they take place in different African countries (Smith's Botswana and Parkin's Rwanda), both books have a similar flavor with the leading ladies helping out their neighbors. Throughout their respective stories, each book reveals a bit about the culture and daily life of the country where it takes place.… (more)
    Wife of the Gods by Kwei Quartey (-Eva-)
    -Eva-: It's a little more gruesome than McCall Smith's books, but it's a true pageturner!
    The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly (stevedore)
    stevedore: Similar light-hearted quirky characters and lack of dramatic tension.
    A Guide to the Birds of East Africa by Nicholas Drayson (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books have a similar, lighthearted tone, and of course, they have the African setting in common.
    The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall (bookmomo)
    bookmomo: Both books are cory mysteries, with different plotlines, in an exotic environment. Nice, comfortable reads
    Frangipani by Célestine Vaite (jayne_charles)
    jayne_charles: Culturally illuminating with similar feelgood vibe
    The Cliff House Strangler by Shirley Tallman (missmaddie)
    missmaddie: Mystery novels filled with woman power!
    Tail of the Blue Bird by Nii Ayikwei Parkes (sanddancer)
    Jana Bibi's Excellent Fortunes by Betsy Woodman (amyblue)
    amyblue: Although Jana Bibi is set in India and No. 1 Ladies detective Agency is set in Botswana, both have a great respect for the local culture but are told from a more western perspective, and both have a cast of quirky characters.

English (276)  Swedish (5)  Spanish (3)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (288)
This was well written but not what I expected and not my type of book. There just seemed to be too much information about everything everyone was doing that didn't relate to the story. I may try another in this series but not for awhile. ( )
  jkgrage | Nov 24, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book. The characters were likeable and even if it might be a bit unbelievable, it was a good, quick read with just enough mystery to keep me reading til the end. I basically picked it up and couldn't put it down til I was finished. ( )
  kateminasian | Nov 22, 2014 |
Great start. I admit to watching the first season before reading this, but as usual, I found the book to be much better and I quite enjoyed the season. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Sep 22, 2014 |
What a delightful blending of short mystery stories with heartfelt warmth and compassion against the backdrop of Botswana. The cases that are brought to Mma Ramotswe's attention, and the events of her own everyday life, make for wonderful reading. Insightful and charming, I love how McCall has seamlessly woven the political and sociological issues of Botswana and South Africa into a mystery series, presenting a 'slice of life' reading experience, similar to Jan Karon's The Mitford Years series.

Overall, a delightful read and I am very happy I book the first nine books in the series earlier this year without even having a clue whether I would enjoy the stories. A series I will be continuing to read! ( )
  lkernagh | Jul 18, 2014 |
Read during Winter 2007

Not really a mystery but much more of a charming and light slice of life in Botswana, about which I know absolutely nothing. I'm not sure what inspires the slavish devotion to the series and I'm not sure I would read more in the series but it was very enjoyable to read, even if the mysteries where not tough to crack.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |

in Scotland

and for

Joe and Mimi McKnight

in Dallas, Texas
Mma Ramotswe had a detective agency in Africa, at the foot of Kgale Hill.

From the back:

Meet Precious Ramotswe, the "miss Marple of Botswana" (the new york times book review) - a heroine who is endearing, engaging, and simply irresistible. with persistent observations, gentle intuition, and a keen desire to help people with problems do their lives, she solves mysteries great and small for friends and strangers alike.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 034911675X, Paperback)

Penzler Pick, July 2001: Working in a mystery tradition that will cause genre aficionados to think of such classic sleuths as Melville Davisson Post's Uncle Abner or Robert van Gulik's Judge Dee, Alexander McCall Smith creates an African detective, Precious Ramotswe, who's their full-fledged heir.

It's the detective as folk hero, solving crimes through an innate, self-possessed wisdom that, combined with an understanding of human nature, invariably penetrates into the heart of a puzzle. If Miss Marple were fat and jolly and lived in Botswana--and decided to go against any conventional notion of what an unmarried woman should do, spending the money she got from selling her late father's cattle to set up a Ladies' Detective Agency--then you have an idea of how Precious sets herself up as her country's first female detective. Once the clients start showing up on her doorstep, Precious enjoys a pleasingly successful series of cases.

But the edge of the Kalahari is not St. Mary Mead, and the sign Precious orders, painted in brilliant colors, is anything but discreet. Pointing in the direction of the small building she had purchased to house her new business, it reads "THE NO. 1 LADIES DETECTIVE AGENCY. FOR ALL CONFIDENTIAL MATTERS AND ENQUIRIES. SATISFACTION GUARANTEED FOR ALL PARTIES. UNDER PERSONAL MANAGEMENT."

The solutions she comes up with, whether in the case of the clinic doctor with two quite different personalities (depending on the day of the week), or the man who had joined a Christian sect and seemingly vanished, or the kidnapped boy whose bones may or may not be those in a witch doctor's magic kit, are all sensible, logical, and satisfying. Smith's gently ironic tone is full of good humor towards his lively, intelligent heroine and towards her fellow Africans, who live their lives with dignity and with cautious acceptance of the confusions to which the world submits them. Precious Ramotswe is a remarkable creation, and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency well deserves the praise it received from London's Times Literary Supplement. I look forward with great eagerness to the upcoming books featuring the memorable Miss Ramotswe, Tears of the Giraffe and Morality for Beautiful Girls, soon to be available in the U.S. --Otto Penzler

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:10 -0400)

This first novel in Alexander McCall Smith's widely acclaimed The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series tells the story of the delightfully cunning and enormously engaging Precious Ramotswe, who is drawn to her profession to help people with problems in their lives. Immediately upon setting up shop in a small storefront in Gaborone, she is hired to track down a missing husband, uncover a con man, and follow a wayward daughter. But the case that tugs at her heart, and lands her in danger, is a missing eleven-year-old boy, who may have been snatched by witchdoctors.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,293 books! | Top bar: Always visible