Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida…

Russian Short Stories from Pushkin to Buida (2005)

by Robert Chandler (Editor)

Other authors: Isaak Babel (Contributor), Rosamund Bartlett (Translator), Yury Buida (Contributor), Mikhail Bulgakov (Contributor), Ivan Bunin (Contributor)39 more, Elizabeth Chandler (Translator), Robert Chandler (Translator), Anton Chekhov (Contributor), Jane Costlow (Translator), Martin Dewhirst (Translator), Leonid Dobychin (Contributor), Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Contributor), Sergei Dovlatov (Contributor), William Edgerton (Translator), Asar Eppel (Contributor), John Givens (Translator), Michael Glenny (Translator), Nikolay Gogol (Contributor), Vera Inber (Contributor), Daniil Kharms (Contributor), S. S. Koteliansky (Translator), Sigizmund Krzhizhanovsky (Contributor), D. H. Lawrence (Translator), Mikhail Lermontov (Contributor), Nikolay Leskov (Contributor), Angela Livingstone (Translator), Olga Meerson (Translator), Laura Michael (Translator), Andrey Platonov (Contributor), Aleksandr Pushkin (Contributor), Oliver Ready (Translator), D. J. Richards (Translator), Varlam Shalamov (Contributor), Vasily Shukshin (Contributor), Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (Contributor), Teffi (Contributor), Count Lev Tolstoy (Contributor), Ivan Turgenev (Contributor), Joanne Turnbull (Translator), Nathan Wilkinson (Translator), Leonard Woolf (Translator), Yevgeny Zamyatin (Contributor), Lidiya Zinovyeva-Annibal (Contributor), Mikhail Zoschenko (Contributor)

What a treat this anthology was! It brings together short stories from the 19th and 20th centuries, by writers both familiar and new to me, with fascinating introductions by the editor (who also translated many of the stories), Robert Chandler, that put both authors and stories in context. It includes many well-known short story writers, like Pushkin, Chekhov, Gogol, Bulgakov, and more, as well as writers who are better known for their longer works like Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy, and Platonov. It omits well-known writers, like Grossman, who almost exclusively wrote longer works.

It was a pleasure for me to be introduced to some writers I had long heard of (and some of whom reside on my TBR), but had never read, like Teffi, Leskov, and Shalamov. I also appreciated being able to read some writers who wrote (and who were even born) after Stalin had died. Then again, I had read some of the stories before, but was glad to reread them. And I was surprised to find I enjoyed Dostoyevsky's story, "Bobok," and indeed found it funny, something I have never associated with Dostoyevsky. All in all, I liked most of the stories Chandler picked, something extraordinarily difficult to achieve in any anthology, but I did feel the better known authors are better known for a reason; their stories are better.

The stories cover a wide range of topics, from personal to political, from life in the country to life in the city, from the realistic to the absurd, from tragic to comic, from touching to outraging. For anyone interested in Russian literature, or anyone who likes short stories, this book is a treasure.
2 vote rebeccanyc | Mar 1, 2015 |
I was always going to enjoy this book. I have loved Russian literature from an early age, and this short story collection is a Hall of Fame of Russian literature. With a few exceptions, which the editor Robert Chandler highlights in his introduction, the big names are all here. The main omissions are Gorky, Grossman, Pasternak and Sholokhov, because their best work is in other forms like novels or poetry, and Nabokov, because agreement couldn’t be reached with his publishers. But there’s still Pushkin and Tolstoy and Dostoevsky and Gogol and Turgenev and Solzhenitsyn and Bulgakov and Chekhov … and also a selection of other writers, some of whom I hadn’t read before, but all of whom I was glad to get to know.

Of course in all collections the quality varies, but I was amazed to find that I liked almost all of these. I also appreciated the editor’s short introduction to each story, giving a quick biography of the writer and some notes on what makes the story worth including, or things you might need to know to understand it. I’d recommend this book to anyone looking to get a flavour of Russian literature, or to people like me who could read Dostoevsky etc all day! I've posted full reviews of all the stories on my website, www.andrewblackman.net. ( )
4 vote AndrewBlackman | Apr 28, 2010 |

Woolf, LeonardTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zamyatin, YevgenyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zinovyeva-Annibal, LidiyaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zoschenko, MikhailContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

This original anthology of short stories covers two centuries of Russian literary tradition, from the early nineteenth century to the collapse of the Soviet Union and beyond, and includes not only well-known classics but also modern masterpieces—many of them previously censored.

First time in Penguin Classics
Features an introduction to the history of the Russian short story, prefaces to the individual writers, chronology, explanatory notes, and suggestions for further reading

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:36 -0400)

This new collection of translations includes works recently rediscovered in Russia. The introduction gives a vivid insight into the history of the Russian short story, while the work of every author is preceded by an individual introduction. This edition also includes notes and a chronology.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,200,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible