Aesop's Fables by Charles Santore

Aesop's Fables

by Charles Santore

Summary: A book told by the points of views of animals have different stories in which teach lessons and tell of good morals. ( )
  mloya | Jan 29, 2016 |
I actually liked this book even though when I was a kid, I hated this book. I loved how after each story, the author wrote out each main idea and made it clear that it was the main idea, the illustrations were extremely detailed and the author did a great job putting in all of the more important fables that were written. The first thing I liked was the how the author specifically put the overall message on the bottom, as while some of main messages were obvious from the story, not all were. One example of this is from the story The Crab and His Mother, which is about a mom wanting her child to walk a certain way and releasing not even she can do it; the main idea was "example is more powerful than precept." Along with the writing, I really liked the detail and time that was obviously put into each and every one of the illustrations, as all are extremely colorful and different. One example of the detail put into these illustrations is when there is an image of two peacocks, each tail feather is intricately drawn and you can see each and every small feather. The last reason I really liked this book, is that all of the fables that author included are the more important Aesop's fables, with many being well known, so the reader would be interested in reading and looking at the images of the stories they know. One example of this is that he included Country Mouse and City Mouse, but also lesser known ones to mix it up, like The Monkey as King. The main message of this book is that everyone has flaws, but we need to work together to make the world a place everyone is happy in. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Nov 11, 2015 |
Aesop's fables is a book of classic stories about animals that illustrate a moral or two. These classics are very short stories but are very recognizable as they have been retold and adapted many times over since Aesop's time.
Grades 1-5. Wide Appeal. Independent Read, or Group Read. Positives - many simple bite-size stories. Negatives - some are cruel or dark. ( )
  shumphreys | Apr 1, 2010 |
I read these as a child, but this is the edition I owned as an adult. I think I should read these with my son. I can't believe I haven't done that already, come to think of it. ( )
  herebedragons | Feb 3, 2007 |

Here are the time-honored fables of Aesop as never seen before. Santore's animals leap off the page in explosions of color, giving messages to ponder and physical beauty to savor. School Library Journal called this interpretation of the classic morality tales " a delight to the eye and ear."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:51 -0400)

An illustrated collection of twenty-four Aesop fables selected from those populated only by animals, arranged in categories such as lion fables, fox fables, and wolf fables.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,915,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible