The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes

The Other Side of the Story (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Marian Keyes

Member:syrin
Title:The Other Side of the Story
Authors:Marian Keyes
Info:HarperTorch (2005), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback
Tags:Irish Literature, Chick-Lit, Fiction, Wild Release, Private Collection, Penguin

The Other Side of the Story by Marian Keyes (2004)

Anybody out There? by Marian Keyes (stinema)
    All Is Vanity by Christina Schwarz (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: In both novels, private emails are made the basis of a published book.
    The Game by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    KayCliff: Both novels deal with the publication of private family matters.
    Someone Like You by Cathy Kelly (Norabee)
    Norabee: The plots are different, both they are both stories of contemporary women in Ireland living their lives and facing challenges - a very good read!!
    A Likely Story by Donald E. Westlake (KayCliff)

English (19)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
Adultery/boyfriend stealing and the publishing world meet head on in The Other Side of the Story. Jojo is a fantastic literary agent, but she's sleeping with a married co-worker. Gemma is obsessed with the fact that her former best friend, Lily not only stole her boyfriend (sort of - he'd already broken up with Gemma before he even met Lily) but that Lily has had a book published. Gemma is also distracted by that fact that her father appears to have left her mother for that old cliche - his much younger secretary. Lily is convinced that having stolen Gemma's not-quite boyfriend and being ridiculously happy with him means that some sort of terrible karma is due to occur for her - especially when her book (agented by Jojo) hits the bestseller lists. When Gemma's e-mails to a friend about the happy ending she's imagined for her mother, sans father, land on Jojo's desk as a possible manuscript, the fun really begins.

I've enjoyed all three of Keyes' novels that I've read so far, but I always, undeservedly, seem to expect them to be lighter fare than they are. Not everyone ends up paired off happily and as expected. There's also usually a serious look at depression - in this case in the form of Gemma's mom who hits rock bottom when her husband leaves. I'd put these more in a category with Jennifer Weiner than Sophie Kinsella, let's say, for sure. ( )
  JenJ. | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is about three different women who are connected to each other, but are not necessarily friends. Gemma's father has left her mother and she has to be the one to pick up the pieces. She keeps her friend in Seattle updated via emails that are part venting and part escapism. Her friend sends them to a literary agent because she thinks they are good enough to be a book. Jojo is the literary agent who is tough and dedicated to her career. While working hard to further her career she falls in love with one of the partners of the firm. Problem is he is married. The last woman in the story is Lily. She WAS a friend of Gemma's but ended up falling for Gemma's old boyfriend. This causes a rift between her and Gemma. She writes a book which has a huge following but has difficulty coming up with a follow up that is successful. As she enjoys the relationship she has with Anton she can't help feeling all the bad things that occur to her are because of her stealing Gemma's boyfriend.

By telling the story through the three women, the author is able to create sympathy for one at the same time she is telling us a lighthearted scene in the life of one of the other women. Marian Keyes never disappoints. ( )
  melorem | Aug 8, 2011 |
This book is light and bubbly. It is very addictive reading. ( )
  lberriman | Mar 5, 2011 |
This is the first Marian Keyes book I read. It was loaned to me by a girlfriend, at a time when, as a new mum, I had little time to read and had been immersed in the world of pregnancy and baby- raising titles. My friend gently introduced me back to the world of fiction, and it was the first chick lit book I had read. Before parenthood I was a die hard psycho thriller reader. I would never have entertained the thought of reading such a book! Luckily, Marian Keyes and I got on like a house on fire, and I still fondly remember this book dragging me into a world I never inhabited, but used to aspire to! ( )
  BigNess | Jan 31, 2011 |
Typical summer beach read. Enjoyable, fairly light, but not completely vapid. I've always had a soft spot for this author after reading her first book Watermelon, which was hilarious fun, and though no other book may measure up to that one in my mind, it's still perfect escapist reading. ( )
  love2laf | Jul 15, 2010 |

Marian Keyesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Grabarek, JoannaTranslatormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Wat doe je als de kans op wraak je in de schoot wordt geworpen?
Voor Niall, Ljiljana, Ema en Luka Keyes
Susan, you wanted news.
Translation to Polish of: The other side of the story by Marian Keyes. Amazon data error, correction submitted

Jojo Harvey is a dead ringer for Jessica Rabbit and the most ferocious literary agent in town. A former NYPD cop, she now lives in London making million-dollar book deals while trying to make partner at her firm . . . all the while sleeping with the boss man.

Lily Wright is an author who believes in karma, and is waiting for the sky to fall after stealing her former best friend's man. Though her first book failed to sell, her life turns upside down when her most recent book becomes a huge bestseller.

Gemma Hogan is an event designer extraordinaire, but her personal life is nonexistent after losing the love of her life and her best friend in one fell swoop. To make matters worse, her father has just left her mother. While taking care of her mother, she e-mails a close colleague about her frustrations, who in turn forwards the hilarious e-mails to a famous literary agent named Jojo Harvey, who just happens to represent her former friend, now enemy, Lily Wright. . . .

Written in the charming and chatty voice that has become Marian Keyes's signature style, this hilarious and heartwarming novel proves there are three sides to every story . . . especially in the world of publishing!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:25 -0400)

Literary agent JoJo Harvey is troubled by her affair with her married boss, and the lack of a second novel from Lilly Wright, a bestselling author who has just stolen her friend Gemma's lover.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,777,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible