Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire

Son of a Witch

by Gregory Maguire

Series: The Wicked Years (2)

My least favorite of the Wicked series. I found a lot of the plot to be unclear and confusing. I also thought that the characters weren't as well developed as in the other two books. The plot also left me hanging in every possible way. I know that it was a book in the middle of the series but even so, the story didn't have any sort of conclusion. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
I don't like the way Gregory Maguire writes and his books are very weird
  kwigginspost | Jan 25, 2016 |
Having read and enjoyed Wicked, the first novel in Maguire's Wicked Years trilogy, I eagerly began to read this book. Unfortunately, I was nothing but bored by this novel. None of the characters were presented in an interesting way, and the plot plodded along very slowly. I hope that the final book in the trilogy, A Lion Among Men, will prove to be more enjoyable. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
This is the story of Liir, son of Elphaba Thropp, The Wicked Witch of the West. It tells thwe tale of his life growing up, his struggles and his search for his mother. A good follow-up to Wicked, I felt it lacked some of the strength of the original novel. ( )
  Mootastic1 | Jan 15, 2016 |
Entertaining but not really satisfying - I couldn't really sympathise with the characters. ( )
  sashinka | Jan 14, 2016 |
''Son of a Witch" is vintage Maguire, thoroughly entertaining even at its darkest. Oz is as complex and satisfying a fantastic world as ever, wonderfully described, from the steam rising out of the marshes to the sloe-eyed young homeless on the Emerald City streets.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Sarah Smith (Jul 19, 2009)

Enchanted elephants and dragon death squads — Maguire's sequel to his 1995 best-seller, Wicked, is as fantastical as a novel set in Oz should be.

As a result the story - which is meant to contain great love and great tragedy as well as great invention - tends to slip awkwardly between registers. Maguire may have successfully done away with Dorothy, but he hasn't quite got control of his broomstick yet.

Like the character Liir at its center ("a solitary figure untroubled by ambition, unfettered by talent, uncertain of a damn thing"), the novel suffers from entropy. It wanders around, off-kilter and aimless: "A year passed, another. Nothing was the same, year after year, but little was different, either."

Gregory Maguireprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Maguire, GregoryNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, DouglasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have no fear that the poetry of democratic peoples will be found timid or that it will stick too close to the earth. I am much more afraid that it...may finish up by describing an entirely fictitious country.

-- Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, 1835, 1840
All cows were like all other cows, all tigers like all other tigers -- what on earth has happened to human beings?

-- Harry Mulisch, Siegfried, 2001
A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over, their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true spirit, restore their government to its true principles.

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1798
My mother was a westerne woman and learned in gramarye

-- K. Estmere, 1470, collected in Reliques of Ancient English Poetry, 1765
L. Frank Baum's second Oz novel, The Marvelous Land of Oz (1904), was dedicated to the actors David C. Montgomery and Fred A. Stone, who performed the roles of the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow in the first theatrical version of The Wizard of Oz.

In that spirit, Son of a Witch is dedicated to the cast and creative team of the musical Wicked, which opened on Broadway in October 2003 -- the night before Halloween.

To Winnie Holzman and Stephen Schwartz, foremost and first, for their vision; to Wayne Cilento, Susan Hilferty, Eugene Lee, Joe Mantello, Stephen Oremus, Kenneth Posner, and Marc Platt and his associates, for bringing visions to life; and, among all the capable cast, most expecially to Kristen Chenoweth (Galinda/ Glinda), Joel Grey (The Wizard), and Idina Menzel (Elphaba), for bringing life to visions.
So the talk of random brutality wasn't just talk.
"Any murder at all, of any sort, is a murder of hope, too."
There is no resolving a good mess, he thought. Every breath one takes is a waking up into disjointedness, over and over.

AR 6.0, 18 Pts

Ten years after the publication of Wicked, beloved novelist Gregory Maguire returns to the land of Oz to introduce us to Liir, an adolescent boy last seen hiding in the shadows of the castle after Dorothy did in the Witch. Bruised, comatose, and left for dead in a gully, Liir is shattered in spirit as well as in form. But he is tended to at the Cloister of Saint Glinda by the silent novice called Candle, who wills him back to life with her musical gifts. What dark force left Liir in this condition? Is he really Elphaba's son? He has her broom and her cape—but what of her powers? Can he find his supposed half-sister, Nor, last seen in the forbidding prison, Southstairs? Can he fulfill the last wishes of a dying princess? In an Oz that, since the Wizard's departure, is under new and dangerous management, can Liir keep his head down long enough to grow up? Discover the captivating tale that has taken fans of Wicked even deeper into the magical world of Oz.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:02 -0400)

Ten years after the publication of 'Wicked', we return to the land of Oz, to follow the story of Liir, the adolescent boy left hiding in the shadows of the castle when Dorothy confronted the witch.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,082,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible