Can You Make a Scary Face? by Jan Thomas

Can You Make a Scary Face?

by Jan Thomas

1931061,059 (4.28)2

This picture book is highly active with the students. It has a little ladybug talking to the students through dialogue. It asks the students to "stand up," "dance," and even more active actions. The illustrations are colorful, bright, and very cartoon-like. The text is big and usually inside of a dialogue bubble from the ladybug. This book is great for students that are very energetic. I used it in my classroom at work and the kids loved being active with the ladybug. A teacher can use this book to show fun and excitement. Parents tend to like this book too because the children are not sitting still, listening, they are actively participating and having fun with the teacher. ( )
  sherr3084796 | Dec 3, 2015 |
Nicely interactive book, full of brightly colored pages. This book will have your kids up and doing the chicken dance giggling and laughing. Then at the end they get to make a scary face and scare away the frog and the ladybug. ( )
1 vote alanbuffington | Sep 7, 2015 |
Preschool Story Timers love Jan Thomas! ( )
  susan.jeffery | Jul 10, 2013 |
My 4yo was giggling almost right away at this interactive book, that tells the reader, "stand up! ... no i changed my mind, sit down! ... no i changed my mind again, stand up!" So, not a bedtime book if you like quiet settling down reads. But recommended. ( )
  lquilter | Jul 8, 2012 |
Jan Thomas is not exactly a newbie - she's been delighting the toddler crowd (and those older) for some time with such scary delights as The Doghouse, word play in Rhyming Dust Bunnies, and responsive reading in What Will Fat Cat Sit On?

But I feel she has reached her zenith in Can YOU Make a Scary Face? An apparently giant bug encourages the reader (or listener) to use their imagination....but sometimes your imagination can get out of hand! Like Thomas' other books, the text and illustrations are deceptively simple, with bright, bold colors and heavy black lines.

Verdict: This is going to be a wow in storytime - I'm kicking off my programs with it this fall!

ISBN: 978-1416985815; Published August 2009 by Beach Lane Books; Borrowed from the library; Purchased for the library (three copies - one for the professional collection, two for general circulation)
  JeanLittleLibrary | Dec 30, 2011 |

A ladybug invites the reader to play a game of "let's pretend."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,518,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible