Dear Writer by Carmel Bird

Dear Writer

by Carmel Bird

I was convinced to buy this book after reading one of the blurbs on the back that said that anyone interested in books and reading would like this book. So, though I have no aspirations to write fiction, as an editor and reader of fiction I thought I would give it a go.
While this is probably a useful 'prod' for fiction writers, it is not all that interesting for this reader. While Bird does a good job of covering both the mechanics of good fiction and the more spiritual aspects of the writerly life, nothing is particularly revealing, humourous, insightful etc. Though it is good to see a book aimed at writers reminding them that if they want to be a writer, they will have to write (something many wannabe writers seem to forget).
What did annoy me about this book is the huge amount of quoting of other writers Bird uses. "As such-and-such said" is fine a few times, but used over and over again it starts to feel as though the author is showing off how well read they are. Or that they know how to use a quotations dictionary.
Overall, I am sure that this book would be inspiring for those considering choosing the path of writing fiction. Otherwise, save your money and either borrow this book from the library or spend you hard earned dollars on something else. ( )
  ForrestFamily | Aug 2, 2006 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,301,539 books! | Top bar: Always visible