The Reading Group by Elizabeth Noble

The Reading Group (2005)

by Elizabeth Noble

English (32)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (35)
DNF @ 30% - not interesting to me. ( )
  ktshpd | Oct 22, 2018 |
Nope. Any book that lists its characters either on the back or within the first few pages tells me it's a badly written book that doesn't do much to differentiate between the characters. I was right.

The book presumes to be about a group of women and their various family members, partners, etc. and the books that they read throughout the year. Sadly, it's really more about their personal lives and dramas and less about the books. It was like reading a soap opera, sigh. It could not hold my attention. I normally avoid chick-lit, but I felt I needed something "lighter" after some of the heavier reading I've done lately. Sadly, this wasn't it.

Luckily I got it as a bargain book. If I could have done it again, I would have only bought it if were a couple of books at a library sale. Or borrowed it from the library. But I don't recommend it at all, not even as a beach read. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
dayton, silver stage only
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
I read some pages and they were very good, I am looking forward to see how the characters will change their story.
The Reading Group follows the trials and tribulations of a group of women who meet regularly to read and discuss books.Over the course of a year, each of these women become intertwined, both in the books they read and within each other's lives.

Inspired by a shared desire for conversation, a good book and a glass of wine-Clare, Harriet, Nicole, Polly, and Susan undergo startling revelations and transformations despite their differences in background, age and respective dilemmas.

What starts as a reading group gradually evolves into a forum where the women may express their views through the books they read and grow to become increasingly more open as the bonds of friendship cement.

In The Reading Group, Noble reveals the many complicated paths in life we all face as well as the power and importance of friendship. ( )
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |

mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
"The real, hidden subject of a book group discussion is the book members themselves." -Margaret Atwood
For David and Sandy Noble, my mum and dad
Clare watched as the young woman passed her in the corridor.

Clare, Harriet, Nicole, Polly, and Susan start a reading group, and through the course of the year, find their lives intertwining, despite their differences in age, background, and beliefs.

This P.S. edition features an extra 16 pages of insights into the book, including author interviews, recommended reading, and more.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

Five women meet regularly to discuss books and they are changed as they bond together while facing crises in their lives, such as a wedding, a mother with dementia, an unmarried pregnant daughter, and philandering husbands.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,733,400 books! | Top bar: Always visible