Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by…

Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Apostolos Doxiadis, Christos H. Papadimitriou, Alecos Papadatos (Illustrator), Annie Di Donna (Illustrator)

Member:token0
Title:Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth
Authors:Apostolos Doxiadis
Other authors:Christos H. Papadimitriou, Alecos Papadatos (Illustrator), Annie Di Donna (Illustrator)
Info:Bloomsbury USA (2009), Edition: Original, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read, eBooks
Rating:***1/2

Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis (2009)

Bertrand Russell : the spirit of solitude, 1872-1921 by Ray Monk (sharder)
    sharder: Where Logicomix gives the 'cartoon'-version (and does it very well!) of Bertrand Russells life, Ray Monks biography of Russell is the classical biography. As with his biography of Wittgenstein it is both reliable, "complete" and a good read. (The biography is in 2 vols., this is the first).… (more)
    Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas Hofstadter (EerierIdyllMeme)
    EerierIdyllMeme: An obvious suggestion (surprised it's not here already). Both are creative and fictional riffing off of formal logic and incompleteness.
    Gödel’s Proof by Ernest Nagel (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: A brief explanation of Gödel’s incompleteness theorem for the lay reader, recapitulating some of the history of logic included in Logicomix.
    Feynman by Jim Ottaviani (yokai)
    yokai: Un portrait d'un autre grand scientifique en BD beaucoup plus réussi que celui de Russel.
    Incompleteness: The Proof and Paradox of Kurt Gödel by Rebecca Goldstein (michaeljohn)
    The Universal Computer: The Road from Leibniz to Turing by Martin Davis (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Another story about Logic and the contribution of Leibniz, Cantor, Frege etc.
    Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli (Serviette)
    Serviette: Going deep in the world of ideas
    Pythagorean Crimes by Tefcros Michaelides (GIEL)
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson (MarkYoung)
    The System of the World by Neal Stephenson (MarkYoung)
    Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Graphic novels with historical subject-matter straddling the line between fiction and non-fiction and containing the parallel story of their own creation.

English (63)  French (4)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Danish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (76)
While I commend the effort, I wonder who the supposed audience for this Graphic Novel really is.
Case in point: I studied Godel, and I have a bit more of the vaguest idea of what his proof did to Russel's efforts.
I can't say that the graphic novel is making a poor effort to explain it, but for really judging it, you need a complete newcomer to the field.
Find one, and ask him/her what he got from the book.

How many (newcomers) would buy the book in order to get a better understanding of Godel's Theorem? How many (of those who don't know it) would care even a little bit?

So, if you are "geek" and know the field already, it's interesting, if not "great".
For everyone else, I am afraid it will fail to even register.
Please prove me wrong... did you lend it to non-mathematically friends? With what results? ( )
  pamar | Aug 25, 2014 |
Nice, high color, flat shaded, slightly "cartoony" art to tell the story of the development of logic in the 20th century, focussing on the life of Bertrand Russell. ( )
  blurble | Jun 1, 2014 |
I had a hard time putting this book down; the story of Bertrand Russell was completely engrossing. As someone who's studied computer science and mathematics, I'm very familiar with the work of Boole, Cantor, Leibniz, Turing, and Von Neumann, and I've heard the names Russel, Gödel, and Wittgenstein bandied about, but I never knew the relation between the ideas of all these great men. It was fascinating to read how each in turn took ideas from the previous generation and built upon them, or knocked them down to build something else. I wish the book had done more than a surface overview of the ideas, but I guess that is inspiration for further research. While the story of ideas was a 5-star story for me, the post-modern interludes from the books' authors as they are struggling to tell the story were too much like a Greek chorus for me. I wanted the main story to speak for itself, not to have the authors interject explanations in such a direct fashion. The main story already has a frame of Russell telling the story of ideas, it doesn't need another frame layer to explain these ideas, let Russell handle that in his frame. This side story for me was more of a 2-star story. Finally, I felt the coda about the Greek drama "Oresteia" was completely unneccesary and detracted from the impact of the main story. "Oresteia" to me has always been about the foundation of a court of law, and really has nothing to do with the foundation of logic as it relates to mathematics. To equate the two helped to draw out the comparison between the author interludes and a Greek chorus, but it didn't add to the substance of the book. Balancing out all these stories, I come to a 4-star rating for this book, because the main story was itself so weighty and engrossing. ( )
  sbloom42 | May 21, 2014 |
Av nice introduction to the hunt for mathematical certainty during the first half of the 19th century with Bertrand Russell himself as the protagonist. The authors themselves claim that this book is NOT factual but merely inspired by real events and discussions. To me this quite OK when it is stated, but it also consists a danger, as the matters at hand are hard (for me at least) to grasp and simplifications can lead you to believe you understand something you actually don't. In any case this is an interesting overview which as far as I can tell certainly tries to be accurate. ( )
  Brior | May 14, 2014 |
A graphic novel about Bertrand Russell and the logical foundations of mathematics might seem a bit odd, but it's very well done, beautifully drawn, and both entertaining and informative. The fact that it's a little weird is beside the point. ( )
  wanack | Apr 24, 2014 |
LJ Best Graphic Novels 2009: "This biography of the troubled and driven Bertrand Russell packs in a surprisingly entertaining introduction to academia’s Big Ideas of Truth and Meaning by focusing on the thinkers and their passions. Fascinating and charming, with deft color art"

Logicomix grippingly recounts the turmoil of the 20th-century logical world.

All of this is presented with real graphic verve. (Even though I’m a text guy, I couldn’t keep my eyes off the witty drawings.)

Apostolos Doxiadisprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Papadimitriou, Christos H.Authormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Donna, Annie DiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Papadatos, AlecosIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To our children, Eirene, Emma, Isabel, Io, Kimon, Konstantinos, Tatiana, Yorgos
It's such a sad tale! And yet...

This innovative, dramatic graphic novel recounts the spiritual odyssey of philosopher Bertrand Russell. In his agonized search for absolute truth, Russell crosses paths with legendary thinkers and finds a passionate student in the great Ludwig Wittgenstein.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,699,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible