Sphinx by T.S. Learner

Sphinx (original 2009; edition 2010)

by T.S. Learner

Member:philn
Title:Sphinx
Authors:T.S. Learner
Info:Sphere (2010), Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Your library, Fiction, Ebooks
Rating:**
Tags:fiction, eBook, thriller, suspense, Calibre, ePub format

Sphinx by T.S. Learner (2009)

14 (1) 2010 (1) Acquired in 2014 (1) adventure (3) Alexandria (1) Calibre (1) crime (3) ebook (1) Egypt (8) ePub format (1) fiction (7) LTS (1) mystery (1) read (1) suspense (1) thriller (10) to-read (6) Victoria (1)

2.5 stars - disappointing. ( )
  Andrew-theQM | Jun 20, 2016 |
Liked the book didn't like the characters. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
Really enjoyable reading! Thrilling, interesting twists all the way. I can strongly reccomend it! ( )
  ReneVW | Sep 10, 2011 |
couldn't remember seeing a sphinx pay a significant role in the story. I was so lost in the narrative that I'd totally overlooked it. It's there - trust me.

From the beginning of the story, to the end, it gripped me, keeping me wondering whom was on whose side; from where would the danger next come. Once the story got going, I really couldn't put the book down.

Although the novel is couched in the mythology of Egypt and the politics of the recent past, the story doesn't lose the reader in either, and by the end of the story, with the final events that provide the denouement, if your heart doesn't go out to Oliver - the character whose journey the story follows - then either you missed something, or the book's simply not your cup of tea.

A final note, just to prove that the modern day 'First Medjai' gets everywhere, one of the acknowledgements made by the author is to Doctor Zahi Hawas. ( )
  cedargrove | May 18, 2011 |
Ancient Egypt has a powerful hold on us today. We are drawn to what we see as a mysterious world. We are close to the Pharaohs through their vast monuments and extensive writings, but find much of what they did, or more to the point, why and how they did it, unfathomable. At the core of this fascination is the ancient Egyptian relationship with death and the afterlife. They seem to have a much closer, more intimate relationship with that transition from this world to whatever lies beyond.

Learner has produced an interesting novel exploring how ancient rituals and beliefs can affect us today. This book is driven by changes: Oliver Warnock, the central character, moves from atheist scientist to a believer in an afterlife; the novel is set in the late 1950s as Egypt under Nasser moves to a more Western-oriented, but self-contained culture; the plot moves from an introspective psychological analysis of grief to a more action-oriented adventure.

The novel has faults and is not as racy and adventuresome as the cover blurb suggests. ( )
  pierthinker | Dec 26, 2010 |
In memory of Troy Davies
1959 - 2007
Maverick, muse and emotional anarchist

Alexandria, Egypt, 1977. During a clandestine dive to an old shipwreck, archaeologist Isabella Warnock unearths an artefact unlike anything she has ever seen: an astrarium, a powerful ancient device rumoured to have shaped the destinies of pharaohs and kings since the beginning of time. But her discovery comes at a terrible price.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,514,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible