Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler

Vagina Monologues (1996)

by Eve Ensler

A poignant and hilarious tour of the last frontier, the ultimate forbidden zone, The vagina monologues is a celebration of female sexuality in all its complexity and mystery. Hailed as the bible for a new generation of women, it has been performed in cities all across America and at hundreds of college campuses, and has inspired a dynamic grassroots movement--V-Day--to stop violence against women. Witty and irreverent, compassionate and wise, Eve Ensler's Obie Award-winning masterpiece gives voice to real women's deepest fantasies and fears, guaranteeing that no one who reads it will ever look at a woman's body, or think of sex, in quite the same way again.… (more)
Member:annafofanna
Title:Vagina Monologues
Authors:Eve Ensler
Info:VIRAGO (LITT) (date?), Paperback

The Vagina Monologues by Eve Ensler (1996)

English (50)  French (2)  All languages (52)
How did I get to be a senior citizen, and the calendar climb all the way to 2021 before I read this?

This anniversary edition contains the original monologues, some newer monologues written by the author to spotlight specific places or issues and the last quarter of the book is about movements against violence directed at women and girls that have been funded partly by profits raised from performing the monologues.

The monologues, like any collection, vary in quality and impact. Most were very strong and easy to relate to. It is easy to understand the shock and the strengthening power of these monologues at the time.....aspects that time, sadly, has only somewhat diminished. This book made me realize the immensity of the divide between wealthy, straight, white women and other women.

The V-Day movement is interesting, but not, in my opinion, worth 1/4 of the book! ( )
  LynnB | Apr 6, 2021 |
I get it, and I sympathize, but there are better, less pretentious ways of getting the message across. ( )
  irrelephant | Feb 21, 2021 |
Some passages are stronger/weaker than others. Overall, the collection is a 3 but there are some passages which could be a 5 (and some a 1). ( )
  kohrmanmj | Sep 21, 2020 |
There were some great parts, and some which seemed designed solely for shock value. Still, it's an interesting read. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |
My daughter bought this for me. We read huge portions of it aloud while in the car - even more enjoyable when shared orally! ( )
  Phyllis.Mann | Mar 18, 2020 |
For Ariel, who rocks my vagina and explodes my heart
I bet you're worried.

Eve Ensler napisala je Vaginine monologe na osnovu razgovora s više od dvjestotinjak žena i stvorila iskrenu, žensku priču. Ovdje se radi o izravnim, iskrenim i oslobađajućim ispovijedima žena o načinu proživljavanja susreta s vlastitom ženstvenošću ispisanim poetičnim jezikom, ponekad duboko potresnim, a nekad neodoljivo humorističnim. Tekst se počeo izvoditi na njujorškim pozornicama, a zatim je autorica s njime proputovala cijeli svijet i dobila brojne nagrade.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,323,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible